Note to New Members ×

Culinary interview...what to wear? EricJ or others....

Justin A.

Congrats on getting the job. I can relate to that feeling of landing in the dream place - for me it was in Aspen, CO.

There's only one place I can think of in NH that would be what you've described. If so then, damn, what a place to be...I just hiked the Presidential Range this past fall and drove past this grand white resort at the base of a mountain.

Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...

update on my life:

Found a nice house for rent about 6 miles from work. I'm not working in the main dining room yet (and my asshat boss won't sign my transfer), but the place that I do work at has an AWESOME view (it's 3/4 up the mountain- you have to ride the quad to get there)...pay is good enough, but the benifits are what's the best...free everything....I just got back from a round of golf...it was $10 to cover the insurance costs on the cart :1luvu: . Free mountain biking, free golf, discounted sports club membership....I'm in heaven, except that I have a $17k CA education and I'm dunking fries, when the F&B manager knows damn well that I should be over at the hotel doing Garde Manger (like I was offered) work. But the transfer wasn't his idea, so it's not a good one.

To put this guy in the proper light:

One guy I work with is the resident go-fer....he does what you tell him to do, not nessicarily well, but he does it. He's primarily a server, but sometimes he gets called on the cook or drive the bev. cart at the golf course. Mr. F&B manager thought it was a good idea to pay him at the server rate to do all that ($2.38/hr)...On the cart I can almost see it (are you supposed to tip the cart person?), but hell no in the kitchen...he's just a total sleeze....

I'm picking up a second job right down the street from my house starting in a week or so doing dinner, since I'm not getting the 40 hours per week that I was promised :angryfire . It's a kinda sketchy little place, but it's honest and they're gonna pay me, so I can't complain...

I did all the Garde Manger work for a big shindig that we had up at the top 'o quad last week, it came out pretty good.

Internet's getting hooked up at home on August 9th...then I can get back to being a couch potato :sleep: ...and lay off all this outdoor activity that I've been up to.

Dunno man, it sounds like you got screwed over. good luck trying to dig yourself out of that hole, and frankly, I wouldn't even bother. Why work for people who don't follow through on their word? I'd start looking for a new job if I were you.

• 3 weeks later...

Ooops, I completely missed the update.

Justin, really sorry to hear about what happened. Sounds to me too that you got screwed. Dunking fries !? That's BS ! That's what they call the bait-and-switch. They lure you with the promise of what you want and then switch it on you. Consulting companies in the IT apparently do that occasionally to their clients, but using a top programmer/analyst as the bait.

Having been burned once by that kind of crap in the tech world, I can understand your frustration. I ended up looking for a new job after about 2 months or so, and left after 4 months. F**k 'em ! I was completely open, honest and explicit in the interview. They weren't. Therefore they didn't deserve me to stay longer. F**k 'em !

There's a pretty big shortage of cooks/chefs in Calgary. So I'll bet you'd be cooking in no time. It's something to consider if you decide relocate.

'later...

Wondering how things are going up there for you. I re-read your last post, I may have misunderstood some of the details. The hotel promised one thing and gave another or was the work just not what you expected?

Best of luck.

They're going....I had an all-out yelling match with the F&B Director this morning, made some headway there...he also threatened to file paperwork against me that would keep me from going to the hotel - in front of his "#2" guy...he's also been skimming 1/2 hour a day off my time sheet to cover the breaks that we don't really take in the kitchen. HR is going to have a good time with that one...

The hotel is a seperate entity...kinda. It's all the same corporation, but they hate the ski area and the ski area hates them. Everybody hates the ******* that I work for. I was told that I would be working at the TOQ Restaurant, and that he needed me to make his $20 burger into a $20 burger. Not what's happening at all, I'm dunking fries and chicken fingers, not making his $20 hamburgers worth the price. He was misleading during the interview, and now he's blocking me from so much as going over to work nights at the hotel (completley non-interfering with my current shifts with him), nevermind transferring. I need to talk to the Excutive Chef at the hotel and find out if he'll still take me in even if I screw my current manager, because if that's the case, this letter I have typed out will be printed and on my manager's desk by tomorrow afternoon.

That yelling match this morning was entertaining anyway :biggthump .

I will not be working for this guy for more than 2 more weeks - period.