Note to New Members ×

Culinary interview...what to wear? EricJ or others....

Justin A.

I guess i'm not a chef or anything, but I'd just go with a suit. You can't really go wrong.

If you're interviewing for a mechanics position you don't show up in mechanics garb, do you?

Can't go wrong with a suit.

I guess i'm not a chef or anything, but I'd just go with a suit. You can't really go wrong.

If you're interviewing for a mechanics position you don't show up in mechanics garb, do you?

Can't go wrong with a suit.

That's true, but you also wouldn't wear your mechanic's covealls to graduation - we wore our chef coats over a shirt and tie with suit pants to graduation, hence the uncertainty for me.

Definitley can't go wrong with a suit though, got me there.

we wore our chef coats over a shirt and tie with suit pants

Just do that, and if you see other people interviewing with just a regular suit, go to your car and put your suit jacket on, then come back in.

Or just don't worry about clothes and cook something better thenathe other people interviewing. :biggthump

Just do that, and if you see other people interviewing with just a regular suit, go to your car and put your suit jacket on, then come back in.

Or just don't worry about clothes and cook something better thenathe other people interviewing. :biggthump

Uh...the interview isn't in the kitchen...actually, it's likley to be on the mountain...outside...in the warm sun in the beautiful mountains :biggthump . I really hope that I get the job...this is the place that I've wanted to work for a looong time. It's also in the heart of the area that I want to settle down in :1luvu: ...

I say you dress according to the level of the job. I am a mechnical engineering technician, so for my level of work, I wear nice relaxed pants and a polo shirt to an interview as a suit would be overdressed for the position. If I was an engineer applying to be the head of an engineering department, I would wear a suit. So it depends how big a chef job you are applying. If it's head chef of a nice restaurant, go for the suit. If it's a more relaxed restaurant or assitant chef or something like that, you might want something more relaxed. It is well known that it's good to be well dressed, but it might be bad to be overdressed also. But hey, I may be wrong.:confused:

What Derf said dress to the level of the job and don't overdress, if it's not a place where suits would be worn by customers then a suit is out of place, sportcoat, nice pants and a tie might be a better idea

Professionalism is priority. Neat, clean presentation of yourself could be in a suit or chef jacket. Like others have said, you can't go wrong with a suit. Head to toe should be presented to impress. Polished shoes, pressed clothes, clean shave (or neat trimmed facial hair) and combed hair. Just present yourself as best you can - be "put together". If everyone in front and behind you wears a jacket and you're in a suit - it won't matter as long as you're the most impressive to the interviewer. They are looking to hire a person, not a resume. Rise above the other slobs that are just there for a pay check. Too many cooks don't show pride - that's why they stay on the line.

It's also makes an impression if you know as much as you can about the place your looking to be employed. Know a little history, what they serve, where they buy from, who the owners & chef are. Know a litte about current restaurant reviews in the area that may compare to the place you're interviewing at - the owners/chef sure as hell should know this stuff. Anything that you can learn about the place beforehand puts you a notch above the next guy, no matter how small it may seem.

I hope I don't insult your intelligence by typing this. You seem like a pretty smart guy. I hope that you get the job. Even if you don't, call and ask what you coud have done better to get the job. I'd love to hear more about your experiences.

A really good book that has no recipes but will make you a better chef is "The Pursuit of Excellence" by Charlie Trotter. If you want to be a great chef, study the great chefs themselves.

Email me anytime thru bomber. Best of luck.

Professionalism is priority. Neat, clean presentation of yourself could be in a suit or chef jacket. Like others have said, you can't go wrong with a suit. Head to toe should be presented to impress. Polished shoes, pressed clothes, clean shave (or neat trimmed facial hair) and combed hair. Just present yourself as best you can - be "put together". If everyone in front and behind you wears a jacket and you're in a suit - it won't matter as long as you're the most impressive to the interviewer. They are looking to hire a person, not a resume. Rise above the other slobs that are just there for a pay check. Too many cooks don't show pride - that's why they stay on the line.

It's also makes an impression if you know as much as you can about the place your looking to be employed. Know a little history, what they serve, where they buy from, who the owners & chef are. Know a litte about current restaurant reviews in the area that may compare to the place you're interviewing at - the owners/chef sure as hell should know this stuff. Anything that you can learn about the place beforehand puts you a notch above the next guy, no matter how small it may seem.

I hope I don't insult your intelligence by typing this. You seem like a pretty smart guy. I hope that you get the job. Even if you don't, call and ask what you coud have done better to get the job. I'd love to hear more about your experiences.

A really good book that has no recipes but will make you a better chef is "The Pursuit of Excellence" by Charlie Trotter. If you want to be a great chef, study the great chefs themselves.

Email me anytime thru bomber. Best of luck.

The problem with knowing what they serve is that it changes on a daily basis! Which is awesome, BTW.

Level of customer dress: My girlfriend and I go there every year for our anniversary, I wear a Tux and she wears a fancy slinky dress. We're not overdressed at all.

There really isn't much in the way of competition in the immediate area for the Mt. Washington...it's the only 4 star place in the area, you've got a few places, but they don't compare.

Thank's for the luck, I appreciate it. I really want this job....

If it's a 4 star restaurant, wear a suit, and a nice one too - go and hire one if you need to. And look comfortable in it, like, I dress like this all the time.

Erik is right, they'll be more impressed by how much you know about them and how intelligently you can talk about food in general than by what's on your resume. Be enthusiastic and ask lots of (respectful) questions, it always makes a good impression.

And the day after, drop the interviewer a note to thank him for his time and tell him how much you enjoyed meeting him. In a close call interview, that little trick can make all the difference.

Naa... all that 'dress up' crap is over rated. Wear a torn tee shirt and dirty jeans. It worked when my girlfriend's 17 yr old doper son applied at Taco John's. He quit after a while... getting out of bed at 2 in the afternoon was just too tough.

OK... sarcasm aside. Good on you, mate! I'm impressed when I see young folks looking forward a few years rather than 'dude, where is my next taco coming from'

OK... sarcasm aside. Good on you, mate! I'm impressed when I see young folks looking forward a few years rather than 'dude, where is my next taco coming from'

I don't like Tacos much...I'm more of a burger kinda guy myself ;) .

Calling me "young folk" makes me feel so much better...some kid called me mister today :o ...and I heard Aerosmith on a classic rock station...I'm not old! but that's another topic altogether.

I'm gonna go with the suit, and let me be the first to say, I look damn good in this particular suit, it happens to be my favorite :D .

I'm gonna go with the suit, and let me be the first to say, I look damn good in this particular suit, it happens to be my favorite :D .

That's a good portion of the battle there. Feel good about yourself and others will see you the same way.

I sound like a bad afterschool special. What's even worse is I don't practice what I preach...

Well, working in the industry and having conducted many interviews, I would say wear a suit, but omit the tie. Seeing as you're going to be in the kitchen all day, appearences really don't matter too much. That, and it's an outdoor interview. A tie will make you sweat too much.

The suit speaks to your professionalism and preparedness for the job, and the no tie shows you're not all stuffy and overbearing. Keep a relaxed professional attitude, and you'll be set. Be yourself, and come with several ideas for specials, maybe some of your favorite dishes you've prepared, favorite regional cuisine, etc.

I ****ing win. On the spot job offer, he wanted me to start friday, but I already have plans for friday, so I'm starting saturday. Full time, **** yeah.

My girlfriend came along with me for moral support, and the guy asks her what she does for work and how she felt about relocating, she told him the truth-which is that nobody will hire her due to lack of experience - and he offered her a temp job for the weekend with a significant chance of her staying on full time/year round.

Hells yeah, it was a good day. Thanks for the support guys.

PS...I think it may have been the french maid outfit and kneepads that did it. That, or the suit and schnazzy tie.