Note to New Members ×

Bomber Trucks

Gecko

Since a the Needham Open and a discussion with Rick (Wavechaser) I've been wondering if Fin could be talked into CNCing skateboard trucks. I mean it's not like Bomber doesn't make a bunch of things other than snowboard bindings. A money maker would be a nice surfy straight pivot in the 180mm range but then again so would a nice slalom truck something that could have an adjustable pivot and be wedged for front or rear

i want low(split axle) 40 degree reverse pivot trucks!

no spherical bushings though, adds cost and makes 'em twitchy!

If it could be done in a similar manner to Confederate trucks that would likely reduce costs and make it simpler to construct

is that in addition to being really really cool they are also silly complex and expensive. Simplicity makes things cheap...hell 2 different baseplates under a Splitfire style hanger would be cheaper than trying to build that one truck

GOG's here in the states are almost twice the cost of a set of TD2's at $500 a pair...that I mean was that the trucks are complex to manufacture and patented which means that Bomber couldn't really copy them....of course licensing the design might be an option

That's funny, I look at them and I see just a couple simple milling operations and this and that. Looks simple to me. Now the patent and stuff. Depending on how in depth they got the patent, you probably can't get anybody else to make anything quite like it.

Check sk8kings

but also Heiko at concretewave.de can help you ;)

SK8Kings and GOG / Pavel have gone their separate ways...no bad blood, just a business decision.

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5011&highlight=pavel+sk8kings

The variable angle is a GREAT feature though - yeah they are expensive, but how expensive are four different sets of racing trucks with different fixed angles?

It also depends on just how geeked out you feel the need to be on a skateboard....I mean unlike say Catek bindings you really aren't gonna be changing you truck angles that much or that often. That said Slalom skateboarders are the Apline snowboarders of the Skateworld....quivers are a requirement for them and they are gear geeks...I say this and I actually have an Chindy offset worth $125 on my Slalom board so yes slalom is a gear geeks sport

It also depends on just how geeked out you feel the need to be on a skateboard....I mean unlike say Catek bindings you really aren't gonna be changing you truck angles that much or that often.

Depends on who you are....

I watched someone change the angle on the exact rear truck we've been talking about just the other day. He flelt his rear truck was too dead for the course we had set. 10 seconds later, he's happy.

I'm with you though, I don't think that I'd be changing truck angles that often. I've found that a quick bushing change works wonders for me. Although if the option to change angles easily were there, I might do it more often...

What I wouldn't do for a front GOG right now though......

lots of people seem to be able to get buy with a simple wedged RTS/X combo, or 45/30 Seismics, or a combo of those. That was my plan until I got a deal on my Chindy. I still want a semi precision front truck to match the Chindy, trying to get a hold of GeezerX to work on my spare Indy 109

Ha, funny enough over the years I have had a steady stream of people ask about making a "better" skate truck. I have to admit, I am no expert but there does seem to be a lot of room for improvement.

The one thing I find a limiting factor is the use of Urethane bushings for controlling the truck movement.

Bad:

• Non linear response
  • Break down over time
  • Temperature dependant

I know they work and they have been around for a while but a spring based system (done right) has none of the above flaws. There are already a few out there already. Maybe a design that deviates from the traditional "king pin" pivot design? Something that gives you controlled bias on the inside versus outside wheel? Like a car front end.

Speaking of wheels, I just made this "item" over the weekend. Who can tell me what it is? Winner gets a small warm beer at the next SES.

post-1-141842233229_thumb.jpg