Note to New Members ×

How to install Hangl plate ?

Fat Old Bastard

the way they are installed is by inserts that are built into the board, I'm sure you could Tnut a deck but it would probably last about as long as it takes you to hit a rut too fast and it would explode

that deck and set of plates are Bruce Varsava's that he let me try out

the plates are kind of funky. they do add quite a bit of leverage but also make the board kinda scary in the wrong conditions

I think if they made them a lot lighter, a little lower and added a bit of flex they'd be a system to be reconed with

I'd suggest riding a softer binding with them such as snopros, burton or F2. cateks and bombers are not really ideal with this system even for me the guy who won't touch soft bindings

Bruce made a mod to these that I think you all should that have them and that is to add snowboard inserts to them, otherwise you'll be on aluminum that might strip at any given time, scary

post-109-141842232244_thumb.jpg

Do you have to drill a couple of holes near both edges of the board and T-bolt them ?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

Good info from Bob,

truth is please don't try to mount your own plate unless you have been taught how to mount the plate in person.

Most Metal boards (except some team Priors and I think all Coilers now, but I am quessing, so OK i should say Kesslers, Tomahawks and SG boards are just screwed to the board using the lamanates and Titinal for purchase.

Bob,

The plate really kills it on a race course, You cant even be competative with out it at the FIS level.

I also have seen some stripped inserts on the thick Titnal mounting plate, I am guessing its because its Titnal, most athletes just t-nut them I have even seen nuts washers and bolts in a pinch.

I am going to do a short reveiw at Hardbooter in a bit.

If you have ridden the plate please read it and comment, I would love to hear input from recreational riders.

I think its plenty flexey when mounted correctly, I have how ever heard about the plate being to tight and binding. Make sure it gets torqued correctly. And check for proper board bend and plate slide. If its not moving its not working.

I love the height hate the weight. But the weight has merit in a race course, Not so much on the groomers. I also hate any chair with out a foot rest when on the plate.

your binding comment is noted, I have heard of a rider tring to mount TD2 toe and heel blocks right on the titnal plate, I also heard he ejected at USASA nationals, and commented about ejecting sometimes. Sound a little skecthey..... I know I ride 50+ MPH all the time I dont mind when stuff breaks and I come out but well thats seems a bit narly. The Swiss brothers also mount F2 toe and heel blocks right on the plate. If I was always on the plate thats how I would roll.. :biggthump

I was also just looking at the plate you have.

Where is the slider section of the plate?

There should be a thin layer of metal rubber then metal laminate about 5cm wide that runs under the mounting plates it has a slippery surface on the top that allows the plate to slide allong the boards surface when flexing.

With out it the plate is going to bind............ The other plate I have heard of binding was on a Coiler also. Perhaps this is why, if Bruce set up other plates this way?

Bruce may also have reasons he has ommited the slider sections, But unless the top sheet is a slick as greased moose poo, It going to bind and only provide lift and weight, no free flex.......

should anyone want detailed information on mouting the Hangl plate, email me at neilsunday@aol.com i would not recommend trying this unless you are expert at mounting skiis and snowboards... you can easily mount them crooked, and ruin the system. it took me 8 full hours to set my first pair up.

bordy- the anti friction plate is on bob's pictures.. it's just been cut very short, instead of running from toe to heel, etc.. i wonder if it's to alloe the flex of the board a little more evenly... i noticed when we pulled one of these anti-friction plates off a board how stiff they actually were..

the thick plate is not titanal- it's aluminum. many riders are not drilling and tapping the threads improperly if they are pulling out of it.

the usasa nationals rider you are speaking of (sam bashore) had TD2 toe and heel bails that are simply too loose. he has to ride them that way to get the proper forward flex in the binding.... as the day progressivly got warmer, the metal expanded, making them even looser... thus the reason he ejected from the board... he's an expert machine worker, and mounted the toe and heel bails properly top the aluminum plate, just need to set his bindings a little to loose to obtain the flex. for this reason he's switching to f2's next season. (he's also 6'1" and 215 of solid muscle.....) thus the reason he was hesitant to ride anything but td's on the board at first...

my hangl plates are mounted with ski screws through my donek gs board. i used a melamine glue to help hold them in. after 70 days on the plates this season, nothing has been compromised twith this system. there are essetially 24 screws holding the "U shaped channel bracket" to the board screwed through the white "slider plate" (anti-friction) that allows the hangl plate to do it's thing. i personally use snowpro toe and heel pieces on my hangl plates, but am in the process of switching them out to f2's as well...

the schooch brothers have now switched from hangl plates to VIST plates, at least in slalom, which are lighter, and i believe have more flex- but still allow the binding interface to slide and absorb terrain. i am in the process of getting the vist plates for slalom.

more to follow if you guys want to hear it...

no they do not ride the rear foot flat. it has an awesome amount of heel lift. for GS they ride the front foot flat though... no canting on either foot when i saw their setups.. but how knows by now.... they are probably onto the next thing, as they hangl plate alone has changed about 5 times that i can tell in the last two years....

Iwould not recommend the suspension system unless you are absolutely looking for performance in the race course. you will not feel like the system has changed your riding completely. it does change, but not $600 worth in my mind...

i would look for a urethane dampening pad under the bindings (about 3 times as thick as the bomber suspension kit)... i'm making some for the female riders and lighter kids on our race team next season...

the weight of the hangl plate simply makes it uncomfortable for all day riding sessions.

Guest sandarapark

first of all i'm no racer and not into it and i havn't seen hangl-plate...i hav how ever seen a "similar" set up when i was in the alps a month or 2 ago...can't remember what it was called but i thnk it's "flex" something...but i think theyre more lighter than the hangl plates since they were made mostly of a rubber material unlike the former thats of metal...how ever the guy ridding them said that they are at the moment not available for sale...he did say f2 might be producing them in the future.

first of all i'm no racer and not into it and i havn't seen hangl-plate...i hav how ever seen a "similar" set up when i was in the alps a month or 2 ago...can't remember what it was called but i thnk it's "flex" something...but i think theyre more lighter than the hangl plates since they were made mostly of a rubber material unlike the former thats of metal...how ever the guy ridding them said that they are at the moment not available for sale...he did say f2 might be producing them in the future.

Yep, F2 will bring out a plate as well:

post-105-141842232261_thumb.jpg

Bordy,

an old racer buddy of yours (inkaholic) was just killin' it on boiler plate at winterpark a month ago on Bola's SG with the plate on it. You could see the board dancing all over the place, with nary a peep transmiting to his boots. It was really impressive.

mario

Guest sandarapark

yeah, that one...although the one i sa seemed a bit different...hmmm must be a prototype...

hey, where did u find that? i can't seem to find it on the f2 website...soany ideas ifit will be instaled to the board through extra inserts like the hagl plates?

for the recreational carver I think the hangl plate is overkill and probably is for the beer league (recreational) racer as well, it really transmits allot back to you if you hit too much of a rut

that said a lighter and dumbed down version might be the next big thing if someone is willing to develop it a little, inserts closer to the rails really make sense to me as well

the really interesting thing I found about them is that most of the low level chatter goes away but when you do feel the chop it is really a bear to handle with those things

a big part of it could of been the board, it was really stiff and I noticed it while riding it without the plates as well, the board was not the friendliest board I've been on but at high speeds it was super stable and wanted to stay under me a hell of allot better than my prior

I wish my prior had the inserts for these things, then I could really tell you everything because I have allot of time on the prior and that board is closer to what your average carver can handle and wants from their snowboard, the plate I think would work well with it...

I'm thinking that some sort of thing like these(just not as expensive or extreme) on boards similar to the metal priors will be the absolute freecarver's dream

I'm thinking something like a coiler AM in the 180s or a RC in the 180s with metal of course would be perfect for me.

I'd really like to know what my options are and what I need to get the different systems mounted

do the vist plates need other insert than the hangl plates?

I'd like to avoid ski screws at all costs between my weight and that I don't even trust them in skis never mind in a application that there is a much stronger option I'd just elect to have my board built with the inserts

Do they ride flat? I would imagine this would eliminate any cant/lift adjustment, unless they used shims.

They just use the F2 cants as well.

Neil,

I am very sure the block is Titnal which is of course aluminium. Around 7000 grade with some other items add ( zinc magnisium etc.) to make it titinal. Unless you got a very early plate system they all come drilled and tapped by Hangle,

Not picking a agrueement but lots of FIS level riders who really are rock hard musle PGS PSL +200lbs madmen ride F2s problem free, all never feel as though they must use bombers like your friend Sam, And how good of a job did he really do if he is ejecting?? In retrospect was using Bombers the correct move for stength if they don't hold you in in all conditions.

I have seen photos of the Vist plate and it is a bunch lighter. But still has the height. Word from friends on the WC is it will be under many more riders feet next season when the bugs are worked out.

Also most of the US girls team are running Dummy plates that only provide lift, Their is very little they benifit from The Hangle plate unless you are 160+ although there are some girls riding the hingle plate on the WC, Fin will point out his athlete from Poland is on the plate and TD2s, She is the exception.

I have triple stacked bomber Urathane unter TD2s and ridden it. I would try it out before you put athletes on it. Urathane is a bit to soft for good power, but if your already a light weight rider you may need all the input you can transmit.

Mario,

Good Eye watching the plate. I have ridden the same stick you saw out. Very fun ride, The plate makes the board so much better....

Bob, As I said make sure the plate is sliding, The comment you made about feeling ruts leads me to beleive it may not be. The slider section of the plate should extend out from the plate more then it does, I can still hardley see it in the photos, if there is not enough sticking out each side then the system will bind and you will feel all the ruts. If it slides the ride is buch better.

have time to before I leave here, it may have been binding but also when I say rut I mean glazed over frozen crap that is rock hard and it was probably exaserbated by the board which is really stiff between the bindings

what it was is that if I hit something big enough and hard enough that it took the board off the snow it really made it hard to get it back on the snow where I wanted it

It could of been just not being used to the weight of it and riding in in some nasty choppy ass snow that was probably worse than any race course around