Note to New Members ×

What is your summer carving ride(s)?

Bullwings

I'm on a Loaded Vanguard. First time ever skateboarding on anything.

Alpine carving got me hooked enough to try out longboarding. Good choice on my part. It's been great so far and definitely satisfies my need for the carve. I just need to learn how to stop.

I jumped off of my board at around 12-15 mph to get a feel for bailing... I can't run that fast:nono:

I came out completely fine, had the full safety nerd gear setup going (gloves, knee/elbow pads, helmet).

So what is everyone else riding to get their carving fix?

small to large:

-gravity bruce logan 30'',wedged Tracker RTS/X, Seismic hotspots split duro green(83a)/blue(77a), biltins bearings, stock hourglass bushings

-35'' custom LDP, Wedged Bennett vector & RTS, Seismic hotspots 80a(white), Revenge bearings, red/orange khiro barrel bushings, bones hardcore soft bushing, tracker yellow stimulator bushing.

-Sector 9 Trylam, RII 150s, 70mm lemon zigzags or 95a 65mm rainskate tsunami, bones reds, assorted stim bushings

-Landyachtz Drop Wedge, Holeys, 85mm 79a Seismic Speedvents or 76mm 78a flywheels, biltins bearings, dropped a little extra

-41'' custom topmount speedboard, Force C7s, 77mm abec11 Strikers 78a, bones reds bearings, stock/khiro/bones bushings

-64'' custom boardwalking/ land-windsurfing board, original S10s, 81a Abec11 gumballs, bones reds.

:o stop looking at me like that, i'm not addicted.

bailing at 15 or so does suck, but its a lot better than 25+.. at that speed you hit and just slideeee along until eventually you start to slow down, usually wind up with some scattered roadrash through jeans & outside of the padded areas

I used to have quite a collection, but idiot drivers and idiot friends have wittled me down to my trusty/bulletproof Skull Skates Flow Dart, with Randal R2s (flipped hangers) and radikal bushings set up for my weight. Ohh and cant forget the sticy gumball wheels.:lurk:

I am embarassed to say I can't remember the brands of any of this stuff but my board for four years has been this 43" with 105mm treaded wheels,180mm trucks with 1" risers.The grip tape is what I'm most proud of as I cut it out free hand with an exacto knife out of one roll of tape with no breaks in it. I then sprayed a light clear coat over it and it has lasted very well. This board rides the chip sealed roads around here super smoothly and rolls forever on the bike path. Not the kind of speedster lots of you guys have but suits me very well as I can get pretty inclined and slide if I need to.

post-801-141842232268_thumb.gif

Guest jeffrey1knee

- Loaded Vanguard Bamboo prem., Gumballs, RII's, etc. Great for flats and mellow hills. so sweet.

- Sector Nine "the nine" team board hybrid, Indy's, Orange indy bush, nineballs, lucky's. Great for long manuals down steep hills and hard carving with some controlled sliding.

- Sector Nine pintail from waaay back (maybe the first production year?) - I won this board guessing the number of bottle tops in a jar at RT Longboards Bar in PB, SD, CA. ok for cruising, but probably won't ever get used now that I have the Vanguard.

Yeah, mean 76. And I really don't know how stiff I want the board, the bozi is my frist deck. I was looking at the loaded vanguard, it looks pretty sweet. Maybe flex #2, as I still enjoy longer boards.

Guest jeffrey1knee

I spent lots of time toiling between the flex 2 and 3 per the length issue... got the f3 and have been happy but may look into trying to find a deal on a f2 deck in the future. Keep in mind that if you are interested in pumping flats, the shorter board will get you more return. That was the tiebreaker for me.

Getting a Carveboard in a few weeks after finals. What do you guys recommend for a pumping board for me. I'm 5'11'' 175 lbs. We got some killer bike paths for pumping here.

if you want a dedicated pumping board, look for something moderately wide at the nose, probably tapering towards the tail. a bennett is a great front pumping truck, tracker rts or similar is good for the rear.

randals will work too, but i dont like 'em as well for pumping.

carver CX trucks are probably the top choice, they're supposed to pump effortlessly, i just havent ridden them.

londgoardlarry, chicago longboards, and roe slalom all make dedicated pumping boards, as well.

I don't like the tracker trucks that gravity boards seem to come with.

yes well there are Randals and Bennetts available from gravity if you don't like Trackers, or you could just buy the board and building it like you want it instead of buying a complete. I bought my boards from Gravity but the rest I got from either my local skate shop or from Mile High Mark . The nice thing about Mark if you tell him what you want or have, he can recommend a good combo of gear for you. He is as skilled at putting together various wheels, trucks and skateboards boards as Sean and Bruce are at building snowboards.

The thing about Gravity boards is that many people who have a quiver of skateboards tend to have a Gravity board somewhere in the mix. They are good boards for the money and if it matters entirely "Made in the USA" the same can't be said for S9. Gravity's make up 1/3 of my skate Quiver.