Note to New Members ×

Summer Carving - skateboard, longboard

Guest jeffrey1knee

Guest jeffrey1knee

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good carving skateboard?? - I'm a longtime softbooter (converting to a hardbooter by next season) and on-and-off again skater... I have been riding a Sector 9 pintail and another S9 'the nine' hitting some mellow hills and doing some carving the last couple of years. I've been checking out Loaded boards as they seem like good carvers, but pricey... anyone have any experience with these, or any other boards to recommend?

That thread Bullwings pointed you to was mine. I was in a similar situation to yours last year. After looking everything over, I got the Loaded Vanguard and eventually a T-board. The Vanguard is definitely my favorite board to carve on. I have met a lot of long boarders and tried many boards, but I always love to get my Vanguard back. There is nothing like it. With its flex it’s amazing. The T-board is fun to carve on as well, although I feel that it’s not as maneuverable as the Vanguard. Everyone will have their own preference. I think I just got lucky and picked the Vanguard as my first board. Again, I would say go with the Loaded Vanguard. Everyone here will tell you different things, so just research and find what board seems to work for you. Vanguard is definitely for carving and cruising, not so much bombing I would say. Good Luck.

since we're on the topic and posting videos left and right...

this video has convinced me that Landyachtz is the way to go if you wanna bomb hills at mach schnell like ralann has been saying.

The video ralann posted ^^^ above is cool, but as far as bombing hills and having the balls to do it. watch

on a side note, I just got my Loaded Vanguard, and from the feel of it just messing around a little bit, it definitely feels like the carving feeling I'm looking for. Haven't really pushed it or myself yet. I'm waiting to get some protective gear in (I have almost zero skating experience) and can already foresee eating sh!t. I don't mind, but since I already know i'm going to, i'd much rather be wearing some pads, helmet, and gloves when I do it. I figure I can wait at least that long. Everyone thinks i'm nuts right now... "You're 23 and NOW you decide to do this?!?! Most people take up this stuff as kids... blah blah blah"

Yeah, those guys aren't even wearing any pads in some of the crashes. Some of them, they just hit the pavement and come to a dead stop, no sliding or anything.

As for taking up longboarding/skateboarding in general, it's just weird. I've already had the board shoot out from under me and fly forward while i'm on the ground trying to figure out why the hell i didn't go forward with it. haha

It feels great so far, but I'm gonna be a pansy and wait till the rest of my gear gets here before trying more. I love the flex feel - it has that decambering feeling of snowboard when making quick cross under carves.

Btw, how was it picking it up after a 15 year hiatus? I kinda wonder if the learning curve will be higher for me now that I'm a bit older (almost 24).

It's shaping up to be a good summer... and a long one too.

Guest Bamboo_Girl

Hi...

I have a t-board from Tierney. You can find a review of it on this website or go to the manufacturer's site @ http://www.tierneyrides.com

It's a cool little deck and fun to ride down hills. The board is not hard at all to ride, even for someone with little snowboarding experience. Stopping at high speeds can be a bit sketchy so you need to work your way up gradually. You can definitely get more inclinated on this than a regular longboard.

The Tierney isn't much of a cruiser but it does have that snowboard feel, at least for me.

Good luck :)

that's the one, I rode a hypercarve and didn't care for it too much... might have been the trucks though.

on Gravity's Carve boards trucks make a huge difference, I'm not a fan of Tracker Trucks (in general though their new DH truck my change that) and most HC's come with 150 Darts. It feels better with Randals much more carve friendly, which is why most Loaded boards come stock with RII's. My HC uses a RII 180 in the front and an Indy 215 (the hangers are actually the same width) in the back which gives it a similar feel to a snowboard with taper

I'm strongly considering buying a longboard to pump around in parking lots and wider bike trails. Most of the advice seems to be tailored around going down hills - I don't have any! It's flat here, we ski and snowboard down into river valleys...

I'm not going to go super fast, and will be trying to emulate wider carves than are shown in most of the fast pumping scenes. The guy pumping along at 0:58 in this video looks like what I want to do. I skateboarded a lot when I was younger, and really enjoyed pumping 'tic-tacs' (I think that was the name) - very similar to the pumping technique in the clip above. I got to the point where I could do it with only occasionally touching down the front wheels. That was 15-20 years ago though...

Is it even possible to maintain speed on totally flat ground without pumping really quick like they do in these videos?

My goals are to get out in the fresh air, get some exercise, and have fun re-learning something I used to love. Would something like the Loaded Vanguard or Pintail suit my needs? Are there cheaper options I should consider?

My wife thinks I'm nuts for even considering buying a skateboard! ;) :p

Guest jeffrey1knee

Thanks for the help and good advice - I'm still doing some research and I think I'll be moving on the Loaded Vanguard soon... I just can't believe I'm going to spend that on a skateboard. And, of course, at 30 years old and with four other boards in the garage, my wife can't believe it either. I told her "Gecko said I need a quiver" and she said "well, how many is a quiver?" :D Way more than 4, right? :D

The T-Board looks cool and I had not come across that before - maybe it will be next on the list. I agree with all who mentioned Landyachtz is the way to go for bombing hills, but I'm looking for a carver for now.. As for the Gravity boards, I've been checking them out for a while now and they just seem like a trade out for my Sector 9's. Although, anyone interested in a solid all around board should go to the gravity site immediately and check the yard sale for the Brad Edwards board. This is basically the same idea as my "nine" which has been my fav board for a long time as it is great for everything - hills, parks, cruising, super long manuals, anything. $99.

enough rambling.. thanks for the info, and I'll keep checking back for more opinions.. Probably even after I buy something. ** btw, Does anyone have any suggestions on long, buttery smooth hills in the Twin Cities area?

I traded some HB's for a Bamboo Loaded Pintail last fall (here on BOL actually). Very happy with it...It absolutely kills the ABQ ditches. I really want to try a Vanguard though! I also have a T-Board and have rode it 35mph+ (2nd day out on it) and also in the ditches. It's very fun as well and loves to carve deep...also it's a very easy transition from snowboarding.

You can't really compare the T to the Loaded since they are two different monsters. If I was doing high speed I'd definately prefer the T-Board and maybe moderate hills for doing some carves...BUT the T hasn't seen pavement since I got the Loaded. That should say something about the Loaded boards. I've also ridden a huge Sector 9 longboard and it's not even close IMHO.

Keep in mind I haven't ridden much else to compare it to, but I really don't want to either. Lastly I'm at best an "advanced beginner" on the streets.

P.S. The wheels on the T-board wear considerably on anything but "hero" pavement. They are like $40 bucks a pair too so keep that in mind.

right now in rolling complete form I have

Rob Roskopp Face oldschool

Homemade 34" GS/LDP

Homemade 29" TS/HS (soon to be replaced with a Fullbag HS tat I sold a set of Snopro's to fund)

Eastbilt 60" dancer

Gravity 47"HC

Gravity C39

Homemade 32" GS

Natural Koncepts 33"

I've also got with no trucks

a drop through pin

3 newschool decks

a 57" garage pin

a 46" cutaway

I want the new Gravity Pool Series 35" I just have to figure out how to fund it...I say this as I sit in a hotel in Bahrain sucking up perdiem

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffrey1knee

Loaded Vanguard bamboo Flex 3 with the Gumballs at my door when I got home from work today. Note: I ordered from the Loaded website store and noticed that they were giving away free 'Make You Smile" dvd's with the purchase of a complete... through Feb. 15th. I asked if they would include one anyway (ordered on Feb 25th or so) and guess what? The DVD is excellent. Haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet (the board, not the dvd=), but I'm happy as a pig in poo.

I have the T-board too and I like it. Super smooth, quite ride at high speeds that feels very much like snowboarding. It helps to develop technique and keeps you fresh with muscle memory.

The only beef I have with the board is that it took four days of aggressive carving on a 6% grade to wear out my indy rubber tires. I am a heavy guy though so I was throwing a lot of rubber, it stuck to the bottom of the board.

I also cracked the bushing that came with it but I want to get the stiffer one anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm strongly considering buying a longboard to pump around in parking lots and wider bike trails. Most of the advice seems to be tailored around going down hills - I don't have any! It's flat here, we ski and snowboard down into river valleys...

I'm not going to go super fast, and will be trying to emulate wider carves than are shown in most of the fast pumping scenes. The guy pumping along at 0:58 in this video looks like what I want to do. I skateboarded a lot when I was younger, and really enjoyed pumping 'tic-tacs' (I think that was the name) - very similar to the pumping technique in the clip above. I got to the point where I could do it with only occasionally touching down the front wheels. That was 15-20 years ago though...

Is it even possible to maintain speed on totally flat ground without pumping really quick like they do in these videos?

My goals are to get out in the fresh air, get some exercise, and have fun re-learning something I used to love. Would something like the Loaded Vanguard or Pintail suit my needs? Are there cheaper options I should consider?

My wife thinks I'm nuts for even considering buying a skateboard! ;) :p

check out the ripstick if pumping is what you want to do. they only have two wheels similiar to a tierney and the deck twists in the middle. they are made for pumping and are a real hoot my kid has one that I run every once in a while. there are some knock offs of it up on ebay right now.

http://www.ripstikusa.com/

Pumping boards need a wheelbase of 24"-30" and a board length of 35" to 44" Shorter wheelbase boards are hard to maintain a rhythm on and though you can pump longer wheelbase boards (l pump my Hyper Carve on bike trails) it's a lot of work. Roe Slalom makes 2 long distance pumping specific boards, the Mermaid and and the LDP. The are pricey but sooo beautiful in carbon. The however for the price of a Roe board alone you could pick up a Gravity Mini Carve complete.

I'm waiting for a hybrid Slalom deck from Fullbag and xxxguitarist is gonna build me a LDP to replace the pin but I seem to be able to get by with about 6 boards at present.

post-507-141842232254_thumb.jpg

Pumping boards need a wheelbase of 24"-30" and a board length of 35" to 44" Shorter wheelbase boards are hard to maintain a rhythm on and though you can pump longer wheelbase boards (l pump my Hyper Carve on bike trails) it's a lot of work. Roe Slalom makes 2 long distance pumping specific boards, the Mermaid and and the LDP. The are pricey but sooo beautiful in carbon. The however for the price of a Roe board alone you could pick up a Gravity Mini Carve complete.

I'm waiting for a hybrid Slalom deck from Fullbag and xxxguitarist is gonna build me a LDP to replace the pin but I seem to be able to get by with about 6 boards at present.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8008&stc=1

do you have those tracker trucks on your hyper carve? if so, what do you think of them?

do you have those tracker trucks on your hyper carve? if so, what do you think of them?

......ewwww never will a Tracker truck be under my feet...sorry not trying to be an a$$hole I'm just a long time Independent rider (20 years). I have tried Trackers a few different times but I can't get used to a bent pivot after soo much time on straight pivot trucks...the way the trucks turn is very very different.

I have Randal's on the front of the 2 biggest boards but every board has Indy's including my Slalom board on which I have a rare Offset Chindy.

trackers lean more before a significant turn, they respond slower, indys are quicker to respond but may not be as "carvy" for some people.. bent pivots make a nice rear truck though.

i'll only put them in the front if they're a bennett vector, that truck turns quicker/sharper than an indy :biggthump

btw, gecko, the wood came in, so i ought to be able to get working down my list of boards that have been ordered- i'll get on yours as soon as i can, working around exams.

trackers lean more before a significant turn, they respond slower, indys are quicker to respond but may not be as "carvy" for some people.. bent pivots make a nice rear truck though.

i'll only put them in the front if they're a bennett vector, that truck turns quicker/sharper than an indy :biggthump

btw, gecko, the wood came in, so i ought to be able to get working down my list of boards that have been ordered- i'll get on yours as soon as i can, working around exams.

yeah I need to try a Bennett as a front at some point, I also want to try the Bennett Speeds and *Gasp* the new Tracker speed trucks. No rush on the board you study hard now.

Guest jeffrey1knee

The Vanguard has been great for pumping on mellow hills and flats. Lots of flex in the deck and the Randall's are great!

I have Indy's on my S nine hybrid and wasn't really happy with them until I tried the orange Indy bushings.. works well for steeper hills and hard carving with speed.

My S9 pintail has Pivot trucks (I guess this was standard way back when Sector Nine got started) - these are terrible.. stay away in my opinion.

Has anybody tried the Gullwing Sidewinder trucks?