Note to New Members ×

Summer Carving - skateboard, longboard

Guest jeffrey1knee

The Vanguard has been great for pumping on mellow hills and flats. Lots of flex in the deck and the Randall's are great!

I have Indy's on my S nine hybrid and wasn't really happy with them until I tried the orange Indy bushings.. works well for steeper hills and hard carving with speed.

My S9 pintail has Pivot trucks (I guess this was standard way back when Sector Nine got started) - these are terrible.. stay away in my opinion.

Has anybody tried the Gullwing Sidewinder trucks?

Gullwing sidewinders are big, heavy, have a surfy feel. Personally I consider Gullwing a baby step above no name Walmart brands. really not worth the savings compared to Trackers, Indy's and the like. My problems with Tracker are technical as far as what I learned on. Gullwings on the other hand have very poor quality as a general rule

Gullwing sidewinders are big, heavy, have a surfy feel. Personally I consider Gullwing a baby step above no name Walmart brands. really not worth the savings compared to Trackers, Indy's and the like. My problems with Tracker are technical as far as what I learned on. Gullwings on the other hand have very poor quality as a general rule

agreed. sidewinders are an interesting concept, but you're better off with other trucks.

gullwings in general arent much good now that they're owned by sector 9, but some of their old stuff wasnt bad.

Guest jeffrey1knee

got it... I wasn't really considering anyway since the Vanguard has been all I dreamed it might be.. was just curious if anyone has given them a shot.

You guys really don't like anything Sector Nine does, huh? What gives?

i don't care for their business practices, their quality control or for that matter I don't care for what their product has become. I started longboarding with the S9 guys in San Diego back in the early 90's they were nice enough guys (when not stoned out of their gourds) I just think that there are usually better products for the money. One exception to this that I have seen though....whoever is pouring the GOS and Bombhills wheels is doing a great job they are awesome. Oh and Gullwing trucks have sucked for 20 years S9 didn't add or subtract from that fact

got it... I wasn't really considering anyway since the Vanguard has been all I dreamed it might be.. was just curious if anyone has given them a shot.

You guys really don't like anything Sector Nine does, huh? What gives?

again, i'm with gecko.

the GOS & bombhills wheels are a major step up.

the topshelfs arent bad either.

They make some good decks- some of the bamboo ones, and the trylam.

all but their top of the line completes tend to be pretty sucky, and they make a lot of different decks with no significant difference in purpouse.

anyway, they get new people into the sport, so its not all bad.

Guest jeffrey1knee
i don't care for their business practices, their quality control or for that matter I don't care for what their product has become. I started longboarding with the S9 guys in San Diego back in the early 90's they were nice enough guys (when not stoned out of their gourds) I just think that there are usually better products for the money. One exception to this that I have seen though....whoever is pouring the GOS and Bombhills wheels is doing a great job they are awesome. Oh and Gullwing trucks have sucked for 20 years S9 didn't add or subtract from that fact

Fair enough... I've yet to see you comment on Loaded - have you given any of their decks or completes a shot yet, Gecko or xxguitarist? IF so, I'm curious how you thought the Loaded stacked up against your Gravity mini carve for pumping?

i've ridden several vanguards of varius flexes, and they're nice boards. they need soft bushings to be at their best though (khiro blue or softer)

im not a big fan of them personally, because they have a symetric flex (in the middle) whereas i prefer a flex 2/3 of the way back or so (like pintails generate)

i build my personal boards to have that flex regardless of shape.

anyway, theyre very popular boards, and have great construction. i enjoy them, but i'd enjoy more if i could pick the design, it just doesnt quite match my style.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stand flowboards....the "wheelbase" is too short and it felt too loose for me, mind you I ride really loose trucks. The T-board is kinda weird looking but if I lived near some good hills I might try one, as it is my longboard skating is mostly cruising not DH

I can't stand flowboards....the "wheelbase" is too short and it felt too loose for me, mind you I ride really loose trucks. The T-board is kinda weird looking but if I lived near some good hills I might try one, as it is my longboard skating is mostly cruising not DH

the flowboard does feel to short. I am going to drill and mount them on a 42 inch deck and see if its better. I like the feel of the trucks though other than the short wheelbase.

Guest jeffrey1knee
I am thinking about a vanguard, but I am not sure about flex... I am about 185lbs and turn it up to 11 most of the time.... I'm thinking flex2. those of you that have ridden more than one what do ya think?

I finally rode one of the longer vanguards, a flex 1. It was too stiff for me at 175lbs. However, it felt great on a steeper hill. That's been my only complaint about my flex 3.. I'm not yet comfortable on it going down super steeps -but getting there. Other than that though, I'm really happy with the shorter flexier board. Better pumping, more action. I'm sure you would be happy with anything between a 1 and 3 depending on what you want to do and the feel you looking for. I've been told that many shops that carry Loaded have demo boards on hand. Let us know what you go with.

Been thinking that I need to get a helmet for a while. Any recomendations? I ride in sunny So Cal with high temps. I was kinda thinking that a good bike helmet with lots of ventilation might be workable.

I need new pads too. The ones in the picture date back to my rollerblade days. The elastic is worn out and they barely stay in place.

Skateboard Helmets....kinda the same as snowboard helmets try on a bunch buy what feels the best...I'm happy with my my Protec but YMMV

Pad's there really isn't anything better than Pro Designed (PD's) and Pain Cheaters. I'm 40 now so falls aren't something I get up from easily I use PD's...buy good kneepads at least. I use Protec elbow pads because so far they've worked if they ever don't work PD's will be ordered my wrist guards are PD's too though I'm not as happy with them as I am with the kneepads I may buy S-Ones when I wear out my wrist guards

I looked at PD's on the net. Pretty expensive. But I guess you get what you pay for. I am 43 and I do not want to get hurt just having a good time! I have noticed that I don't heal quite so quickly either. I all ready have my season pass for next year, I would feel really stupid if I hurt myself and couldn't use it because I cheaped out on protective gear.

yeah my wife pushed for me to buy PD's (OK she really said buy the best you think you need). Some things I've learned, when you do your measurements round down to the nearest inch, being able to take them off without taking off your shoes is a good thing, make sure you can live with the pattern because they wear like Iron and you will have them for some time, order the recaps and install them early, add sneaker balls to whatever bag you store your pads in (it's called "Rector Reak" no matter who makes the pads).