Note to New Members ×

Terminology: Full apex carve; full circle.... heelside possible?

shredliner

Ok, I'm new to alpine carving, but not carving in general.

I can and frequently do, what I call, a full apex carve. In other words, I come in fast, carving toeside up the hill, and continue in a hopefully, elegant circle.

Yes, the top of the arc is less trenched than the first 180...

So, what's the correct/current terminology for that?

Full apex carve? I use that often.

360 degree turn?

Also, is a heelside full apex carve possible on alpine gear, possible and/or normal? My first day out on my alpine gear, recently, I carved heelside up and past 180 without trying, then fell over. So, I'm thinking, it's possible.

Anyone do that on a regular basis.

GREAT NEWS!!! 5-7" of snow expected tomorrow night, more the next day. Woooo hoooooooooooo!

Regards,

Erich

We have a circle carve at MAC tracks every year. We come in fast off of an intermediate slope and let 'er rip. It is possible to do circles, double circles, and figure eights. That is the extent of what I've seen, but I am sure that other variations are possible. As far as what is done on the hill, I have not heard of anyone going past 540.

If there is one thing that I have learned from running the circle carve at MAC Tracks, it is that everyone has a different side that they are comfy on. Some would not dream of doing it toeside and others are completely comfy on their toeside. Everyone is different.

This is some kind of trick, right? That site is all French to me et je parle un peu Francais. Est-ce que vous savez le URL pour la video?

Edit: nevermind. I found it. http://derf.dyndns.org/~derf/gallery/albums/snowboard_videos/ver1.wmv

My site is in French, except for the snowboard section which is bilingual, for all you guys.:biggthump

I've seen that one, though tex was talking about more than one circle at the same time...2ina row on same edge more or less.

I manage 1 out of 10 toeside, with most ending at about 280-300deg...heelsides aren't as precise and harder to set up ( look uphill for turnaphobics) and only manage 270deg at best.

J

These are cool however not fully carved last part of circle is kinda not on the edge. I did full carved circles but only on the proper/special terrain, down hill that turn into uphill, sort of the valey. Maybe it would work on flat terrain as well if you have enough of speed.

I was never able to pull it of on regular slope. (i mean 360 at a full carve )