Note to New Members ×

PSA: "Frontside" and "Backside" are dead.

Jack M

I surf with some guys from Fiji.

Teahupoo has been surfed by MANY locals before Hamilton.

It was not unridden BUT Laird is the man.

The waves he has ridden there are new benchmarks.

Frontside, backside makes sense to me.

Didn't mean to turn this into a surfing thread but...

After that NEstr passed yesterday it gave NY/NJ a little present. :eek:

NJ yesterday (photo Jet1A).

Ken

29cue8n.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That isn't a drysuit is it? No way you'd get me out there, even in a wetsuit.
yeah I grew up surfing in New England (in a drysuit) after living in SoCal than then the tropics for years I will never surf here again. Even in the summer you need a wetsuit :barf:

I can't ever go back to wearing one. I spent 4 years living on the back side of Diamondhead surfing daily. The only reason I even wore a rashguard was because I like a waxed board (as opposed to TracTop) and my back was getting sunburned. I'm also spoiled waves anyplace else just don't compare to Hawaii...so I'll skateboard and snowboard instead. :D

Guest Tim Tuthill

OK you guys, heres the real deal!! Laird is back side in the pic. I use surf speak that I grew up with, sooo, Toe side is front and back is heel side. The skate speak is for the street and most of those guys have hit the pavement one too many times so they don't know WTF anyway. LOL Frank's only problem is that he rides with the right foot forward!!! LOL He is one fine wave rider!! We used to surf on the same team?? What a bunch that was??? LOL D-SUB your Holy Crap post? The bad part, is the amount of guys in the water. Sunset will have 80 guys on a 15 foot day!!! That's Holy Crap for sure!!!!

Guest Pisten Bully
and jack needs to get laid?

Perhaps. I certainly don't. Well ... I do, but I am. Get it?

how long have you been saving that up for?

Somewhere around 30 seconds. It is called reacting trailertrash. I read something and then I commented upon it. Am I typing too fast for you?

At least there's no ambiguity to regular and goofy, even if they aren't obvious at first. I use "heelside" and "toeside" for snowboarding to avoid confusion, but frontside and backside for skating, 'cause that's just the way it is. There's no surf in Saskatchewan, but I do love watching the films and looking at the pictures.

At least there's no ambiguity to regular and goofy, even if they aren't obvious at first. I use "heelside" and "toeside" for snowboarding to avoid confusion, but frontside and backside for skating, 'cause that's just the way it is.

yes but you forgot the scourge of skateboarding.... :AR15firin MONGO :flamethro ...nothing worse than a mongo skater ;) mongo and proud ;)

That really annoys me. Also something that really annoys me is when boarders push off with their foot on the healside of their board... It's not really a big problem with hard boots cause of the angles, but with kids ridin at near 0 degrees. I see it all the time.

Actually, pushing a freestyle board is much more effective and fast. For 14 of my 16 years of riding, I pushed on the toeside.

Finally went to heelside pushing and it's much smoother, enabling you to keep the board on edge the whole time, where that doesn't happen when you push on the toe-side.

There are times when only toe-side will work, depending on the slope. But I am now convinced and have demonstrated side by side, that heel-side pushing is faster.

For skate-boarding, I always used my backfoot and thought front foot pushers were freaks. ;-)

Spent my first solid hour ever, on my carving board yesterday. What a trip, way different feeling.

Mongo skaters are usually better though often less stylish in their set up for tricks. When pushing on a snowboard I am nowhere near as comfortable as I am on a skateboard. BTW D-Sub check out the mongo threads on Silverfish...it's amazing the amount of grief people give mongo skaters. Mongo and Proud. :ices_ange

Mongo skaters are usually better though often less stylish in their set up for tricks. When pushing on a snowboard I am nowhere near as comfortable as I am on a skateboard. BTW D-Sub check out the mongo threads on Silverfish...it's amazing the amount of grief people give mongo skaters. Mongo and Proud. :ices_ange

hilarious. I used to try to learn the "right" way to push a skateboard and Id just wreck.

I push "toeside" on snowboards. imagine "mongo" on a snowboard!

hilarious. I used to try to learn the "right" way to push a skateboard and Id just wreck.

I push "toeside" on snowboards. imagine "mongo" on a snowboard!

Actually I if rode with no heel lift on my rear foot I would probably push mongo on snow too. I tried it once on my 200cm Weapon years ago and it was pretty easy...as long as the board is long it shouldn't be a problem

I saw a mongo snowboarder once. He was getting on the lift. It had to be aqward as hell.

Also, on the heal or toeside pushing: Every healside pusher I have seen just stumbles... Foot hitting the ground over and over and over. I can push on my toe side and it's just like a long stride. It seems much easier to get your balance over your whole board so you can go either way. When pushing healside you're always on the edge and you have to give a push dedicated to getting yourself up on your board if you want to slide anywhere without putting your foot down.