Note to New Members ×

Effects of another rider on You

Bobby Buggs

I dont know if you guys have this or not, But when I ride with the Carve Father Ron, I seem to have the best days of techical carving I can pull off. There is some sort of synergistic effect that dude has on my riding.

I have been out with many people in the pasy 5 seasons but I always seem to ride at another level when I get with him.

Does this happen to you?

On a side not I went with a toe lift for the first time and man my left Glute got cooked, like never before.

I definetly think other riders affect me. I was riding with some of the lifties from Aspen Highlands and they kept taking off into the woods and off jumps(mostly jibbers) and it surprised me how much better I got that day just keeping up with them. Although alot of it was that I got better at jumping but it was surprising fun carving through the trees chasing them as they jumped and launched off stuff.

It is amazing how beneficial it is to my riding to spend the day with a rider who is better than me. Some have offered advice, others have simply made me ride harder, and others show me what is possible.

Since there are so few hardbooters, many of us beginners end up reading about technique and learning on our own. We can read all the words about carving out there, but riding with someone who can carve will allow those words to make so much more sense.

:eplus2::eplus2::eplus2: My riding went to a whole new level last season and I rode with Trikerdad most every day(minus when he was at SES) I went. My riding improved greatly. He did help with binding changes for me but it was the riding with another more experienced person that helped me the most. :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

I agree. Bill is an awesome rider. I stayed with him at SES the last two years and rode with him a number of times and it is amazing how much better I could push myself to be just trying to keep up with him (and not look like too much of a gumby in the process).

That's why the sessions are just awesome. Amazing people to ride with and you improve with almost every single run.

this has only happened to/for me a few times and they only spoke Japanese. So it was really just a chase session :eplus2: I would love to hook up with a fellow carver but considering my work schedule and this season on the east coast I guess I'll wait till next years ECES

Thanks to Robert and Dan for the kind words. I enjoy trying to help other carvers but, it is kind of dissapointing to give someone a few tips and then have them surpass you in their abilities, like Robert has done this season. I would probably give up after this happening a few times except for being able to blame it on my age and injuries.

Its funny that this came up. I was just thinking about it on the way home from the mountain yesterday. Yesterday was my 26th day this winter and the first time I have seen another alpine board. My whole perception of the sport comes from a Snow Performance camp and a dozen or so days at Mt Hood last summer. Also, reltentless video analysis provided by trusty camera person daughter.

So, from my perspective everything has been progressing very well this winter. I have had some great days and have been feeling pretty good about the whole thing.

Then, someone shows up yesterday. We didn't get a chance to talk but I kept seeing his riding from the lift. He is much better than I am and his style is completly different. He is way more forward with much more upper body movement than I have been practicing.

OK, so despite my best intentions, I imediatly start imitating him and everything I have been working on goes out the window and I was pretty much riding like crap for the rest of the day.

Funny, I was thinking maybe I am better off in the dark....

Some sessions really stick in your head. Years back, when ECES was at Stratton, I hooked up with a random bunch of carvers and headed over to the SunBowl. Next thing I knew we were ripping around like a bunch of fighter pilots, playing follow the leader. FAster and faster~~~ tearing up lines all over the hill. I guess when you don't have quality carvers to ride with, it's harder to push yourself to the next level.Riding with Gilmour or Fleck does that for me-pushing the envelope. Incidently, that Stratton session ended for me when I highsided and did a high speed backflip/cartwheel, just hooked and bam. Tweaked my ankle pretty good(the guy following me saw it and couldn't believe I could still walk)Iced it up and managed to ride in pain (at half speed) for the rest of the day. Next day I forced my swollen foot into a boot and managed 2 runs in much pain(it had snowed like 10" ) and had to take the gondi back down, couldn't bear it. Christian was there, shred, PaulK, alot of great riders. Good times~