Note to New Members ×

Coffee fans: The Starbucks secret is out

skategoat

Ryan,

You may want to order up a pound of fresh roasted for your own evaluation:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.roasted.html I believe they roast on Monday's and orders are sent out the same day.

There is a lot of information within the links from my first post. I have yet to purchase a drum roaster and am now on my third I-Roast; each time was an upgrade and to replace worn out roasters.

I started thinking about getting into home roasting after a Starbucks opened near the work place. What got me wondering was how I could not come close to Starbucks quality brewed coffee at home when I was using Starbucks bean; I used a Bunn brewer, Proctor Silex percolator and even a Bodum press pot. I then visited a local commercial bean roaster and was pretty much told my results would improve if I started using freshly roasted bean. I bought some of his roasted bean then I search out home roasting equiipment.

I do my roasting in our garage as there is a good deal of smoke, but it smells really good. Suppose you could do this inside providing you have an exterior venting hood vent.

• 5 weeks later...

Since this is the coffee thread. How many out there use the screw together, aluminum looking espresso maker? YOu know the kind with water in the bottom that blows up through the coffee and goes into the top.

I get espresso flavor, in a convenient time frame. About 8 minutes after I screw it together I am sitting down to my cup of fresh joe.

I don't mind a little milk in to cool it down, but occasionally boil some milk to froth it up a bit.

I find this far superior to brewed, pushpot or perc. since it is actual espresso. And it works great on the river too. :1luvu:

I work offshore in the oilfield and every Italian vessel I have ever been on has at least 1 big industrial espresso maker and a dual hot plate burner on the bridge with two of those little pots sitting on it. Those guys are freaks about coffee. I knew I had made it as an offshore manager when they invited me up to the bridge for a cup. Very tasty cupa