Note to New Members ×

What do you prefer: snow or snowboard?

Derf

What do you prefer?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• Snow
    • Snowboard

With the ugly weather we have here in the East, what do you miss the most: snow or snowboarding? I really like snow in general, not only for snowboarding, but for snowshoeing and cross country skiing. In the Winter, everything is nicer, quieter. There are few things as beautiful as a snowstorm. Snowboarding is great, but how fun would it be if it were on something else than snow?

So, like the title says: "What do you prefer: snow or snowboard?"

Boarding's great - my ultimate, mysterious, all-too-rare expression of oneness with an earth that can present the incomprehensible mystery of a single, random-falling ice lattice multiplied times countless, swirling billions.

But in the end it's just the snow.

Pistes - even perfect corduroy - surrounded by brown mountain forms lessen the experience for me. Give me gray, nasty, windy, blinding, dumping conditions anytime. Bluebird days mean one thing to me - the End is near.

Oh for glisse...

I love snowboarding sometimes, when I don't suck, but I love being in the mountains more, be it on a board, snowshoes, or feet.

I love being on the chair and cresting the ridge, and being surrounded by perfect white mountains (Lake Louise/Kicking Horse and Treble Cone come to mind).

I love being in the hills when the sun is shining and the air is shimmering with ice crystals.

I love the way you rise above the clouds and look down at the valley below, all socked in, while you're standing in the sun.

I love it when it's really cold and the snow squeaks when you walk on it, or when you ride the T-bar.

I love the half light you get just as the snow starts to fall, and the hush that descends on the world when it's snowing, like it's all wrapped up in a big woolly blanket.

I love the way the snow sparkles likes millions of tiny diamonds when I play outside with the dogs on a bluebird day after a dump.

I find it amazing that people live in cities like Calgary and have never seen the view from the top of a ski hill on a perfectly blue, stunningly cold day. It's soul-stirring.

Maybe I'll get sick of snow one day, but not yet.

I miss the snow more than the boarding. I've been out 12 times thus far, but its been on almost all manmade snow. I like the challenge of a drive to the mountain in a blizzard as much as I like the boarding once I get there. I also miss the beautiful views and snowbanks. I even miss the thrill of going around a corner and not knowing if I'm going to hit black ice :( .

Happened many moons ago heading for Snowshoe, WVa, playing 'spin the dial' - found Roanoke public radio and Fiona Ritchie's "Thistle and Shamrock" for first time.

Don't remember the boarding that trip but will never forget Celtic tunes into an infinite, blinding snow... unreal

I love driving on an empty road in a snowstorm. The snow dampens all sounds and if you are lucky you can see the ditch and the other side of the road.

I remember driving north from Toronto on the 400 North around Orillia one time with my G/F and I must of been in front of the plows because there was no one on the road and the concrete barrier gave me a reference of where I was on the road, It will be forever etched in my mind.

OTOH when it is blowing snow and really nasty out, I like to hang out inside the ski patrol cabin in front of a fire drinking beer and talking with my friends how we killed the mountain that day. :biggthump

I love snowboarding sometimes, when I don't suck, but I love being in the mountains more, be it on a board, snowshoes, or feet.

I love being on the chair and cresting the ridge, and being surrounded by perfect white mountains (Lake Louise/Kicking Horse and Treble Cone come to mind).

I love being in the hills when the sun is shining and the air is shimmering with ice crystals.

I love the way you rise above the clouds and look down at the valley below, all socked in, while you're standing in the sun.

I love it when it's really cold and the snow squeaks when you walk on it, or when you ride the T-bar.

I love the half light you get just as the snow starts to fall, and the hush that descends on the world when it's snowing, like it's all wrapped up in a big woolly blanket.

I love the way the snow sparkles likes millions of tiny diamonds when I play outside with the dogs on a bluebird day after a dump.

I find it amazing that people live in cities like Calgary and have never seen the view from the top of a ski hill on a perfectly blue, stunningly cold day. It's soul-stirring.

Maybe I'll get sick of snow one day, but not yet.

Allee.... true poetry... I almost had tears streaming down my face reading your words......

I feel the same... It's a spiritual thing...

I'm usually the loud nutty wise cracking weirdo... But when I'm on the mountain... and there's snow...

I go all quiet....Just take it in with a dumb smile on my face... like after being given morphine....(Yep... great stuff that is!!!)

kinda sick of everyone asking if I'm ok.....

Hmmmmm now back to read it all again......

When I read the title of this thread I thought "huh?", but then when I read more I realised just how much I miss snow (now that I'm in Australia), and how much I loved a snowstorm, even if I was not in the mountains.

A snow-covered landscape is beautiful and serene, even in the city. The novelty never wore off for this boy brought up in a year-round warm-weather climate.

When I read the title of this thread I thought "huh?", but then when I read more I realised just how much I miss snow (now that I'm in Australia), and how much I loved a snowstorm, even if I was not in the mountains.

A snow-covered landscape is beautiful and serene, even in the city. The novelty never wore off for this boy brought up in a year-round warm-weather climate.

Yep.. Know what you're saying....and especially after the poor snow falls we had last winter... (though the groomers were absolutely brilliant!!!! if not a little firm!!)

Allee's words just brought me back to a place that I love more than anything and the depth of her words just took me back to those blizzards of winters past...

Pretty deep for a male though...:o Hmmmmm Where's my beer!!!:eplus2:

Guest Proximate Platypus
Boarding's great - my ultimate, mysterious, all-too-rare expression of oneness with an earth that can present the incomprehensible mystery of a single, random-falling ice lattice multiplied times countless, swirling billions.

But in the end it's just the snow.

Pistes - even perfect corduroy - surrounded by brown mountain forms lessen the experience for me. Give me gray, nasty, windy, blinding, dumping conditions anytime. Bluebird days mean one thing to me - the End is near.

Oh for glisse...

ditto to all of that :1luvu:

I was deprived of snow for the first 18 years of my life... If only my parents had gotten me into skiing... oh well!

The only reason I got into snowboarding was to get out on the snow. Now that I'm addicted to snowboarding, I would probably go if it was on something other than snow, for the adrenaline rush and so on. But I would still need to take up another mountain activity to get my fix.

...and I'm guessing you don't have to shovel walks and driveways. ;-)

I only got a few days on the slopes this year, and the closest place to me just announced it's closed until the temps drop and they can make snow again. I'd gladly get out and shovel. This warm weather is killing me.