Note to New Members ×

Utah carving...Solitude?

Jeffrey Day

I was just curious how the carving would be at Solitude? Anybody carve there?

Thanks

hey jeff, i was there a few years ago and wouldn't think of it as a carving mtn. it is a nice mtn though. you still should hit it, when facing the mtn head off to the left and come down through the trees. go carve with billy and gang at park city.

Its not a big hill, but its groomed well, is fairly fast, and you generally have the hill to yourself. I had a Monday only season pass there last season, and was kicking myself for not buying one this year until I blew my knee. I'm not sure it would be the only mountain I'd buy a pass for, but with the ability to purchase single days and add to them, I think its a great option if you live in the valley. Great BC access as well.

I always enjoyed riding there. Only one high-speed quad though. Grooming is usually good and, like others have said, rarely a crowd there.

Eagle express will get ya to most of the good carving terrain. Take Powder Horn to get to Diamond Lane for a decent rolled-out black diamond treat :cool:

I went there once during the week while on vacation. ( a few years back )There was some groom, but I remember it more for the powder and old school lifts and only about 10 people there. Definately go there at least once. I liked Brighton more. Bigger, better lifts, more of a snowboarder's mountain.

Nice base lodges at both places.

Unlike Snowbird, where there was no real base lodge and everyone put gear on in the parking lot.( WTF???) But Snowbird had the best grooming and most snow.

Didn't actually ride in park city, visited friends at Deer Valley...Now THAT"S an incredible base lodge. ( no boarding allowed, then at least. )

Yeah, it's been about 6 years since my last trip out to Utah. I've been to many of Utahs resorts, all before I was carving...but at the time I was just about to get into carving. At the time, I was thinking Park City and Solitude looked like good carving mountains. So far, my favorite mt is Brighton and then Park City. I've been to Solitude a few times and came away with mixed feeling about the place. I'll have to try it again. I've got about 9 days out in Utah to check things out! Can't wait!!

Jeff,

I used to favor them both but . . . Brigthon is "the place" for all the local jibbers. Rememeber the nice wide open "carving" run in front of the lodge? Last I saw this hill was now one big terrain park. If you do go to Brighton, get someone to sponsor you so you can eat and drink at Molly Greens.

Solitude - is or has become a destination resort. Lots of new base development.

I'd say check out PC, Snowbasin and Powder Mtn.

For us, we are pretty much hooked on Aspen as our #1 destination now that we are in on the Classic Pass program.

I used to favor them both but . . . Brigthon is "the place" for all the local jibbers. Rememeber the nice wide open "carving" run in front of the lodge? Last I saw this hill was now one big terrain park.

Still is. Kind of a bummer cause that section was fun. Was there a couple of weeks ago and cruised some of the park on my alpine rig - got some :confused: looks too. That made it worth it.

Agree with Pat - give Powder and Snowbasin a try while you're here!

Funny you guys mention Snowbasin & Powder Mt...because I'll be staying in Ogden while I'm out in Utah! I do plan on going to Powder & Snowbasin! Need to check out the Job and housing market while I'm out there, so that's why I'm staying in Ogden.

Jeff,

Look me up when you get here!

Jeff,

Look me up when you get here!

Ride on, Kirk! I'll be out in the Ogden area from 1/18/07 thru 1/27/07. My father and I will be taking a look at a few houses/condos in the valley on 1/18/07 and then I ship my father back east!!! But after that, riding will be mixed in between looking at houses and the job market!

Any ideas ona good, inexpensive place to stay in the Ogden area?

Jeff

Jeff,

I do not have personal experience in any of the hotels here, but there are quite a few cheap places to stay in Ogden. It is not a real high end town for accomodations. There is a Best Western at I-15 and 12th Street or a number of low cost (they advertise $30 to $35 singles) on Washington Street between 12th and 25th. Gabrielo, you could PM him, has stayed at the Ogden Lodge in the past.

Buell

Jeff,

Most of your boards are in the 150's to 170ish range, right? You would have no problem carving at almost all the Utah resorts. The guys mention Park City and Basin a lot because there are many of us that like to ride GS or bigger boards. E-mail Dave Tillie from Hardbooter.com if you want to demo some stuff or just get together with some of the PC crew.

Funny you guys mention Snowbasin & Powder Mt...because I'll be staying in Ogden while I'm out in Utah! I do plan on going to Powder & Snowbasin! Need to check out the Job and housing market while I'm out there, so that's why I'm staying in Ogden.

Hey Jeffrey,

I will ditto someone's comments to check out Snowbasin. I may actually be there with my wife around the latter part of your visit. I took the Burner 188 out on Baldy (SV) this morning and even with the Christmas crowds, I found some excellent cord to destroy. Looking forward to you getting out west.