Note to New Members ×

Is there any snow in the east?

jtslalom

I rode at Killington on Wednesday - ticket was free - I would not have paid

That being said conditions at the top ok from 8am to 9:30pm or so - surprisingly first hour not really much more crowed than usual weekday

Some death cookies mixed in throughout the mountain

Killington as usual has done a remarkable job with what they have been given weather wise - plus they had received about 4inches of wet (good base) snow at the top - at the bottom it had clearly rained and there was yellow frozen stuff for a base with loose rocks and a dusting of man made over it

Conditions would have been enough for me to stay for most of the day except for the crowds - by 9:30pm it was a complete zoo - all parking lots at base lodges full and cars were not even being allowed to drive up to KBL lodge

Keeping in mind that 3 trails in trail count at most mountains equals one way down -->most mountains in NE currently have at least one lift running for every trail - not a good sign (Jay peak was for a bit open with 6-7 lifts and 9-12 trails eeekkk)

Will likely be worse for the weekend although if it snows on Sat (which is forecasted 1-3inches) that may help as alot of people won't ski for long when it is snowing

Bottom line is if you can go any other time - wait - should be getting better very soon - if this is your only time to go then get there very early - 7:30am at the gondi for Killington as they often open early - ride til 10am take a break until 2pm then restart

Personally I am going to hike Mt Major today and wait til next week -

Good Luck

KB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was up at our local mole hill, got on the slope by 9am (overslept) conditions were classic east coast crap. I had to switch to my "ice board" after first run. A few trails open (1 from top to bottom) a few people... 10:00 ... whamo.. major lift lines..it was like people slalom with little kids everywhere. this was not fun..I bailed ...

The mountian is haveing a bonfire tonight to pray to the snow gods...

dont look good next week

The temperature when I went to bed last night was 17 degrees (big change from the past few weeks) so I know Okemo's legendary snowmakers were working overtime. The morning snow report is encouraging and I'm glad to see that Upper and Lower Chief are now open along with a number of other top to bottom runs. That should alleviate some of the crowding.

I'll check it out today and keep you posted.

I promised a snow report and here it is. It snowed all night and is still snowing. Conditions are pretty decent. In some areas there's a little scratchiness under the new snow but overall not bad. I quit early just because the holiday crowds make it awfully difficult to carve without hitting the "moving gates".

Here's a photo taken looking down from the lift at Upper Chief with a fair amount of fresh natural snow.

2eevcrc.jpg

And another shot of Chief.

432e5mx.jpg

thanks, Pat. We're getting some dust on the grass here in Boston....finally.

Love to carve Okemo midweek, this looks legit.

Got some "Double Bags" for christmas 7.2 ! and there's some Otter Creek Alpine Ale and LT Hit the Trail ale chillin' in the garage.(Gotta love those $6 six packs)

Harpoon has $15 off Okemo when you score a 12 pack, but we still need some free vouchers :rolleyes:to ride OKEMO (killington/pico/mt slow on the ASC pass=free) ON YOUR RIGHT ! :eek:

post-123-141842223654_thumb.jpg

Two years of break and I still have some muscle memory, but I really need to work and re-learn. :freak3:

what happened ? get married and promise not to ride all the time ?

a real redneck would jump his own sister's bones just as fast as jumpin' on some boilerplate junk to schralp around on if ya hadn't gotten any in 2 years.

Good to have ya back in the mix....now get a new keyboard and ditch that Oxygen 160 ;)

Two years of break and I still have some muscle memory, but I really need to work and re-learn. :freak3:

what happened ? get married and promise not to ride all the time ?

a real redneck would jump his own sister's bones just as fast as jumpin' on some boilerplate junk to schralp around on if ya hadn't gotten any in 2 years.

Good to have ya back in the mix....now get a new keyboard and ditch that Oxygen 160 ;)

No I got married long before I started snowboarding. She used to snowboard too. Just ask few folks around this and other forums ;) ... only she preferes riding her horse these days and I became lazy... or got new hobby: sort of car racing for fun. So I have now Pep Boys-like tools and mind full of ideas like what I should do with my other toy and how to plan approaching those fastest once week after week. Even in winter that was time for simulator on computer to keep in touch with rubber traction :D I also became free on weekends only 'cause nights at MoutnainCreek are no option anymore (job change).

I think of carving and sliding on board a bit of workout these days just to bring me to some shape and keep my mind clear of some stuff. So this time I am not going to post frequently here. In any case I will have some questions rather than advice.

And I like my Oxygen 160SL very much. In fact, I thought of either buying another one from Startingate (they have those rare boards out-of-date) or asking Sean at Donek to build me one very similar. That of course depends how much I am going to ride, because if this is three days in season then I would probably waste his time and my money. That lovely Proton and some Donek 185GS from circa 2000 is still good enough.

30 minutes? That's not holiday, is it? And I didn't think Kissing Bridge has a policy either. So which is your local hill?

hey jim long time, how's west life? holiday instituted the program last year maybe?? sort of un-advertised (trying to get people from using the whole mtn in an hour ya know) they got great snowmaking, but the temps are just sucky. sorry for the late reply---chris

ps. the time from window to refund was less than 15 min. 1 ride up and down cindy's :argue:

thanks, Pat. We're getting some dust on the grass here in Boston....finally.

Love to carve Okemo midweek, this looks legit.

Got some "Double Bags" for christmas 7.2 ! and there's some Otter Creek Alpine Ale and LT Hit the Trail ale chillin' in the garage.(Gotta love those $6 six packs)

Harpoon has $15 off Okemo when you score a 12 pack, but we still need some free vouchers :rolleyes:to ride OKEMO (killington/pico/mt slow on the ASC pass=free) ON YOUR RIGHT ! :eek:

Hi Willy,

Long Trail Ale is so good it inspired the phrase "Beer - it's not just for breakfast anymore". It's even good on Corn Flakes.

The nice folks at the Long Trail Ale Brewery gave me a new Nitro board. I had to turn 60 to pick up a sponsor!

4h9y1jn.jpg

Hi Willy,

Long Trail Ale is so good it inspired the phrase "Beer - it's not just for breakfast anymore". It's even good on Corn Flakes.

The nice folks at the Long Trail Ale Brewery gave me a new Nitro board. I had to turn 60 to pick up a sponsor!

4h9y1jn.jpg

Pat,

Isn't 60 the new 50 ? Hope to make it to Okemo at least once this season and

carve with ya. Maybe put on another get together like the one last year. Wish I had made it to that. Brought some Double Bags to the New Years Party, some less than saavy(Bud Light type) beer swillers were impressed with the "hearty brew"-7.2 !

Pat,

Isn't 60 the new 50 ? Hope to make it to Okemo at least once this season and

carve with ya. Maybe put on another get together like the one last year. Wish I had made it to that. Brought some Double Bags to the New Years Party, some less than saavy(Bud Light type) beer swillers were impressed with the "hearty brew"-7.2 !

I can't even say I'm a member of "Grays on Trays" anymore. The child bride and I were in Jamaica a few weeks ago and I stopped into a barber shop to see if I could get a (total) haircut. The lady said, "Do you have reservations?" I said, "Yes, but I've overcome them"......

43oty85.jpg

24 hours in a day. 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?

a buzz cut in Jamaica, good idea. Did the ladies finally stop asking you to get your hair braided since there was nothing left to weave. Negril ? Where were you mon ? Child bride ? , better to clarify that one, Pat.

Sunset Beach near Montego Bay. We'd stayed there four years ago and our cruise stopped there this year.

if you said child bride and were in india, Thailand or Kentucky I'd be really worried
Child bride? Yep, she's only 54....(and from Ohio)

Aggggh...this f-ing weather...I think I'm going to jump off a cliff - or into a vat of double bag, with a child bride!!

I'm going to race somewhere this weekend if I have to do it on a damn wake board....at Wachusett (USASA Dual GS Sunday)! I'll be amazed if they can pull that one off!

Looks like the CVTSS series SL/GS races at Sugarbush Saturday are cancelled, SVSS SL/SL at Bromley a go right now but not definite, NHSS SL/GS move from Cranmore to Ragged and supposedly a definite go...but 50 and rain Friday and Saturday...AGAIN???? :angryfire

So Pat, do you really ride duck-footed on that stick?

Dude, I didnt think I would say it but Im starting to give up hope for this season :(

63 and Rain here in southern Mass on Saturday and 40s all next week. This SUCKS!!!!!!

I may have to get a ticket for the SES after all.

Seriously...me too. I'm considering MOVING entirely. Can't take this after last year. Also considering going to Florida for kayak racing instead. We'll see. I love racing but I'd kill for some pow instead. Didn't ride in the woods more than 3-4 days last year and it wasn't even that good.

Given the no pow - I'm so amped to race I'd go for a sack race at this point!!

So Pat, do you really ride duck-footed on that stick?
Not normally. I was asked to teach during CT Ski Council Kid's Day a couple of weeks ago. It was easier demonstrating riding switch wth the duck setup. I reverted the stance back the next day. Even with lifters, my size 11s cause bootout on heel side turns.