Note to New Members ×

Cant Decide

veector

Well i have arround $350 to drop on a board, but not having access to any boards to really try out i have come here for some opinions. I am 6'1, 170lbs and it has to be 19cm waist or more... any suggestions? Anything else that might be of help? used or new :cool:

Victor

fixed, hah sidecut :smashfrea

D-Sub: Well since im in Ontario im not going to be riding any big mountains :o

so something for some narrower ones and i definately like speed and edge hold. A few that caught my attention were the F2 Speedster RS and the Volks Renntiger GS. besides being wide boards and well priced used i havent another clue about them.

yeah, the F2s have pretty big sidecut radii for their lengths

honestly...MADD 170 sounds like the board for you. Sposed to handle ice like very few boards can, youre light enough for its apparently not quite as stiff as some flex, and the waist is just right.

someone here has one for $350, too...saw it in the classifieds somewhere.

Thanks for the replies guys and from what ive been readiing up on the Madd is better than the F2. Although ive seen f2s for cheaper, is it really worth dishing out another 50-150 for a Madd, keep in mind I usually ride in Ontario. If bindings help im using some older burton race plates.

Madd 170, it makes just about everything else look like a joke on icy narrow trails except maybe a madd 158

F2s are alright boards but not in the same catagory as Madd IMHO

Not sure I agree. The Donek FC Olympics will at least hold their own - in fact I prefer my FC 175 Oly to a Madd 170 any day. (And yes, the narrow runs off NW Express at Bachelor do get icy on spring mornings). I bet the Prior Metal 177 kicks butt in these types of conditions as would any number of Coiler models with either Titanal or Superboard construction (think something with a sub-12m sidecut and go from there). Same for say a Tinkler made to the right specs or one of the Euro custom makes made to the right specs. I just don't think the Madd 170 is that unique. I owned one of the 04/05s which was definitley nothing special. The 06/07 proto I demoed at SES 06 was a huge improvement but still IMHO not "the shizzle".

However the 158 might well be in a class by itself for this type of riding. I don't have enough time on mine (acquired late this fall) yet to say so though. 17 riding days into this season and not one patch of ice at Bachelor or Sun Peaks! :biggthump

Thanks for the replies guys and from what ive been readiing up on the Madd is better than the F2. Although ive seen f2s for cheaper, is it really worth dishing out another 50-150 for a Madd, keep in mind I usually ride in Ontario. If bindings help im using some older burton race plates.

Keep in mind the Madd 170 is an 18cm waist. The 158 is even narrower although with its tight sidecut you can get away with at least a size 27 MP boot if not bigger.

The donek FC II 167 or 171 might be ideal for you. Keep an eye out for Coiler RC 175's, Coiler FC 173 or 178's, Prior WCR 175 or Metal 177's (the latter would most likley be out of your price range though) as well.

yes, yes, Coilers with superboard, donek olympics and titanal boards might be better in fact probably are but with the exception of the coilers with the extra rubber it's gonna be a cold day in hell if you find any of those for $350

but yeah I know what you're saying and I must say that the Madds are good on ice, as good as a coiler with superboard but a totally different animal as well

I owned a Madd 170 last winter. Didn't really care for it and sold it off rather quickly. I far preferred my Volkl RT 168 for carving tight turns. To each his own which is why I suggest trying before buying if at all possible.

The word on the F2s are that they are stiff boards and you need to be in the upper range of the recommended weight to get them to work.

Anybody have A Coiler for sale $350 with any life left? I must say I never have ridden The Coiler it could be worth the money. I have the Madds 170,180 and im A midwest rider. I just love the Madds on ice soft pack it just likes to be ridden hard.

I've got one with five days on it, it will go for 4 solid RC 180 with a round tail on it, no superboard or WCC because I wanted it to be more lively

without those two options it makes a coiler feel more like a donek or a prior

it actually feels allot like a tighter turning, stiffened WCR

• 2 weeks later...