Note to New Members ×

The FINAL Board-Bag Thread

ShortcutToMoncton

I ended up not being terribly happy with the RC Power bag...and then ran into a small local shop in Edmonton, and walked out with a totally kickass monstrosity of a Volkl ski bag.

It has mesh compartments at both ends, outside compartment, heavily padded, rollers, fits a few boards and my gear, a nice suave and classy dark grey style, and it's probably at least 200cm long I'd think. Not bad, not bad.

greg

Does anyone know if Art is still making board sleeves/bags under his Phunnybaggs.com web site? His web site seems to be down or done? Looks like a very nice product.

Oooh, I missed that last year. Those would be perfect for inside my SportTube3!

Dave ESPI, you linked item is exactly what I would recommend. You just to to watch the weight as 50lbs can come up fast.

DrCR

I went the ski bag route also with the oakley wheeled ski bag. I used it with my 2 coilers when I went to colorado and it was great. Paid 75$ on steepandcheap instead of 269$.. the only down side is that the bag itself is heavy so you have to be carefull not to be overweight. 2 boards + 2 TDs + boots and some clothing in there will bust the 50 pounds mark. I brought my boots in the carry on.

I got a Bomber bag for car trips, but I like some foam action for airline sporttube action. In the past I've simply used packing tape and foam from computer electronic boxes, but it's a fairly tedious process.

Art, what kind of pricing are we talking about? Maybe Phunnybaggs could team up with Bomber to make a foamy bomber bag.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

JP1,

I am quite happy with the sportube 3, it is versatile and puts up with the crap that flying puts your luggage through.

It will hold any board I have ever seen and will hold a few at the same time. I looked at the 2 when I was looking to buy and decided that it was too smal for what I needed. My GF is still in softies and it fits both our gear no problem. I would suggest that you pack your board in a bag of some sorts before putting it in the tube ( I made some fleece lined nylon bags that I also store them in) so they don't get dinged up. The first time I went to Switzerland I put my board w/bindings, boots and some outer wear to fill the space and was still under the magic 50lbs.

The 3 has wheels which is a big help in that you don't have to carry it. You can pull it along and carry your other stuff. They have an accessory handle for it but the clip part is lightweight and one of mine broke so I replaced it with a small keychain carabiner. It will also collapse into itself so it won't take up too much room when it is in standby mode.

Message me if you want a link to the best price I found, you are on the same side of the 49th as the site so it will be in real time dollars for you.

Just as an FYI - Bartron just booked a trip to Kamloops to ride, and he noticed that Air Canada's conditions now say that they only take boards and skis in hard cases.

I'm betting they'll still take your soft bag, but they'll make you waiver any damage to your gear. Might be something to think about if you're looking at buying a new board bag.