Note to New Members ×

First Day - Feet HURT - UPZ

Gtanner

Ok so I finally retired my Burton Fires and picked up a set of UPZ's. I also had an old set of intuition liners that were originally for my girlfriend (molded once).

So the boots are 26-26.5, my feet measure about 26.3 and the intuitions are size 8.

I baked the liners as I have done before and fit them as per YYZ's instructions (worked well in the past). I then went riding and after about an hour I needed to take a break cause the outside of my feet HURT too much (both feet).

I'm wondering if I need to re-mold my liners. Maybe the first mold got the liners to approximately my size and a second mold would do the trick? Also should I put some extra padding on the outsides of my feet to make them a little wider??

Also has anyone else found it really difficult to get in and out of the UPZ boots or is it just me??

Thoughts/comments/experience appreciated.

-Gord

You might be overthinking it a bit... ski or snowboard hardboots are always a pain (quite literally) to break in. I'd say ride them a few more times first, then try to fix the problem if the boots continue to be uncomfterble. undo the buckles when youre not riding, too.

I lasted 1 hour on my new UPZs. I then sent them back and Dan Yoja gave me a refund minus 10%. Very reasonable considering I did scratch them a bit during that one hour. I can't remember what part of my foot hurt but I could not stand it. By comparison, Raichles felt like an old pair of slippers.

Maybe the UPZs are too narrow? I wear a E width skate.

I have never had a pair of boots that did not hurt the first day. I wore my new UPZ boots the first two days of the season this year. By the third day I could not stand to have them on my feet at all. This is my second pair, though, and the first pair were the same way. After a week, they fit like a glove and were well broken in.

They are somewhat hard to get into. My old ones have hundreds of days on them and still are difficult to get into sometimes.

I have never had a pair of boots that did not hurt the first day. I wore my new UPZ boots the first two days of the season this year. By the third day I could not stand to have them on my feet at all. This is my second pair, though, and the first pair were the same way. After a week, they fit like a glove and were well broken in.

They are somewhat hard to get into. My old ones have hundreds of days on them and still are difficult to get into sometimes.

i think the overlap design makes them easier to get in and out of- just spread it wide open and you're set.

yeah, i got a new pair of UPZs and they hurt like hell the first day out. The liners they come with stock are super thin, which i think contributes to that initial pain. When i replaced the liners in my last pair the differernce was like night and day. Footbeds help too.

I always undo the buckles when im not riding, even after the boots are broken in. i find that doing this allows me to crank the buckles when i ride without feeling like my feet are going to fall off.

i think the overlap design makes them easier to get in and out of- just spread it wide open and you're set.

:rolleyes: No, I usually leave them buckled and try to cram my foot in.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

They are not easy to spread wide open and when spread wide open they are still not all that easy to get into. Of course, maybe the size of the boot makes a difference too.

yeah, i got a new pair of UPZs and they hurt like hell the first day out. The liners they come with stock are super thin, which i think contributes to that initial pain. When i replaced the liners in my last pair the differernce was like night and day. Footbeds help too.

I always undo the buckles when im not riding, even after the boots are broken in. i find that doing this allows me to crank the buckles when i ride without feeling like my feet are going to fall off.

do you undo all the buckles? or just the middle 2 ? i have been doing that for the past 2 seasons on my Leemens. but everytime i redo the buckles i could never get the same fit. so hopefuly the pair of virus UPZ will fix that.

stand the UPZ boots, they have some major issues

It seems that the liners here in north america are different than the ones available in europe or at least there you have liner options

the heel pocket is narrow on UPZ and this is made worse by the placement of the hole for the intec cable if you use intec

the shape of the front of the shell is not friendly to some intec bindings as well as the toe peices should probably be Tnutted if you use intec.

the third and fourth buckles collide cockblocking the forward flex

the toe blocks are hard plastic with no soft pad on the bottom making the boots treacherous to walk in on hard surfaces

if they fix those issues it could be the best boot out there but as of right now I won't touch them I could not make them work for me.