Note to New Members ×

My new job - please critique my efforts!

patmoore

I was laid off last April when my company was sold and I've found the job market not too receptive of 60 year olds. I decided to take a different tack so I formed a company to provide consulting services in different disciplines and I've been hired to help a 30 year old brick-and-morter sporting goods store get into online sales. We rolled out the store the last week and I'm busy adding inventory and trying to get us noticed by the search engines. The site is www.suburbansport.com.

If you have any constructive criticism please share it. I may not make the recommended changes but I do want to hear your thoughts. :) The store also sells bikes and accessories, kayaks, and car carriers. For now we're focussing on listing winter sports equipment. We only have about 220 items listed so far but that will grow to 1000+. The store doesn't carry alpine snowboard gear but the owner has been known to ride a hardboot setup on occasion.

Also, I've been hired by Okemo to run their NASTAR program this winter. It involves being at the mountain Friday through Sunday. I'll do the course setting and pacesetting and some of the timing. I get a free season pass and they even pay me a little. I have a WiFi network at my place up north and find it's the perfect setting for me to do website design without interruptions.

Besides the lack of alpine boards...:)

Looks pretty decent though. I wish my parents were half as computer literate as you..

Ironically, my 85 year old dad is my "go to" guy for computer questions. He's the resident geek at his retirement home in South Carolina. He never had any training - just picked it up in his spare time.
Clean looking and easy to navigate around to find what you want. Nice!
Thanks!

Just a quick SEO (Search Engine Optimization) tip.

The text in the header that is currently a JPEG will never be recognized by a search engine. Replace it with actual text.

I was waiting until we got the okay to sell Atomic online (got it yesterday) to redesign that and I will do it as actual text instead of a graphic. Thanks!

One first impression: The product descriptions are so pathetic as to be unappealing. Unless you really know that its something you want, there's no way those descriptions are going to inspire a purchase. I looked at a handful of snowboards and some of the stuff featured on the home page.

One first impression: The product descriptions are so pathetic as to be unappealing. Unless you really know that its something you want, there's no way those descriptions are going to inspire a purchase. I looked at a handful of snowboards and some of the stuff featured on the home page.
Good point. The manufacturers are starting to provide me with text but I'm told I need to write some original copy for the search engines to distinguish us from all the other sites. The inventory I've added most recently has better descriptions. I upload everything through a CSV file so it's not difficult to make global changes. It's just time consuming with so many products.

Just a quick SEO (Search Engine Optimization) tip.

The text in the header that is currently a JPEG will never be recognized by a search engine. Replace it with actual text.

Just replaced the graphic with searchable text. Took me a while to figure out how to do it. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. This is a learning process.

FYI, Now is a perfect time to experiment with MSN's adwords since they'll give you a free $100 or $200 credit when you sign up.

When creating descriptions, tags and other stuff that's geared toward SEO, remember to try to use various terms that people use for stuff. Fat, wide, powder, superfat, mid-fat, etc. might all be used as modifiers for a wide powder ski for instance. Just like alpine, carving, racing, race, carve, square-tail, etc. might be used in conjunction with snowboard to describe what we ride. I don't know how google deals with "hidden" text these days, but I'd also consider something along those lines to pick up on common misspellings. People suck at spelling, plus its so easy to make typos. Think about common misspellings (e.g. baord) as well as finger-slip misspellings (e.g. smowboard).

I assume you've already looked at other retailers like the house, backcountry, etc.

FYI, Now is a perfect time to experiment with MSN's adwords since they'll give you a free $100 or $200 credit when you sign up.

When creating descriptions, tags and other stuff that's geared toward SEO, remember to try to use various terms that people use for stuff. Fat, wide, powder, superfat, mid-fat, etc. might all be used as modifiers for a wide powder ski for instance. Just like alpine, carving, racing, race, carve, square-tail, etc. might be used in conjunction with snowboard to describe what we ride. I don't know how google deals with "hidden" text these days, but I'd also consider something along those lines to pick up on common misspellings. People suck at spelling, plus its so easy to make typos. Think about common misspellings (e.g. baord) as well as finger-slip misspellings (e.g. smowboard).

I assume you've already looked at other retailers like the house, backcountry, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion. We're looking into several cost-effective alternatives.
I like the site and think you've done a great job with it.

My personal opinion though is when I see a Yahoo shop it scares me away. I dunno why but that's just me.

Great Job Pat

I haven't heard anyone express that thought. I guess I could see how someone might feel that way. I do have the ability to remove their logo. Does anyone else feel that way?
I'd upgrade that slideshow on the front page to crossfade between images. You can get such a script for free at www.dynamicdrive.com. Like this one:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

example:

http://www.eces.us/slideshow.html

I'll try that, Jack. I did create my own fadeout by using various degrees of blur in Photoshop but it wasn't as seamless as I'd like. I've used dynamic drive's scripts in my club's website with good luck. I'll try the one you suggested here but it may not work. Yahoo Stores operate with templates and there aren't the traditional HEAD and BODY tags I'm used to working with. The site works with XHTML rather than traditional HTML. A lot of the coding involves subtle differences and I'm just beginning to learn it. The sites can also be managed with RTML but that's a whole different world. I need to get inventory with decent images and descriptions online.

Thanks everyone!

I was laid off last April when my company was sold and I've found the job market not too receptive of 60 year olds. .

I sympathize with you Pat, I am also 60 and may lose my job next year. Not sure what I will do if that happens, probably golf and fish again. Keep us posted to your success.

I haven't heard anyone express that thought. I guess I could see how someone might feel that way. I do have the ability to remove their logo. Does anyone else feel that way?

I agree - Yahoo! storefront suggests a certain unreliability to me. At best, a smaller retailer that can't afford to build their own custom solution, at worst a fly-by-night operation.

I like the easy navigation and layout of the site.

I think the home page is missing some "Pop" . I think it is the brown color (that's what it looked like on my screen anyways), it seems kind of bland and did not create any excitement when I opened the home page. I think it would be as easy as changing the color into a blue or red.

yhst-73063456671420_1927_12400764

I think the company symbol is too small compared to the company name also. My initial thought when I see the symbol, in this size, is "what the hell is it?"

When I look closely, I can see that it is a sun. I think it should be recognizable instantly. It might help to place it on the other side of the company name.

When I first looked at the page i am drawn to this picture first, I'll leave it up to you if that is good or not.

4d317xx.jpg

Great job, with a little tweaking I think you will have it in the form you are looking for.

$.02

Pat, great start! I like clean, simple, easy to navigate sites...

Did the manufacturers provide the product thumbnails? Or did you have to shoot them?

PS...can you get fellow BOL'ers from CT a deal on a Colnago??????

Mostly obtained from the manufacturers. They give me access to their dealer websites. I'll have to ask the boss about the Colnago.

I agree - Yahoo! storefront suggests a certain unreliability to me. At best, a smaller retailer that can't afford to build their own custom solution, at worst a fly-by-night operation.

For what it's worth, I pulled the Yahoo logo out of the site.

Nice work...

My 2cents is that the left navigation doesn't make sense (to me). You break down ski boots, ski bindings, etc......but then generically put "XC" or "Bikes"

Perhaps have a Ski, XC, Bikes and Snowboard section.

K

I've really wrestled with that one Kent. I could create subsections but it's overridden when I do uploads with a CSV file. There are templates I can buy to get around the problem. I wanted to create sections for major manufacturers like Rossignol and Atomic, so I'm experimenting with having a product accessible in two places: an Atomic Balanze B Tech Women's boot would be under the Atomic Section and the Ski Boots section.

That area clearly needs some more work.

_________

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Looks great Pat. Congrats on your new jobs out of the office. I hope to be right where you are someday, on the mtns., and working out of my home.
It sure beats the coat and tie life I've endured for the past forty years.
I like the easy navigation and layout of the site.

I think the home page is missing some "Pop" . I think it is the brown color (that's what it looked like on my screen anyways), it seems kind of bland and did not create any excitement when I opened the home page. I think it would be as easy as changing the color into a blue or red.

Sorry I didn't get back with you earlier. I really appreciate the comments. The color of the site is more of a purple and that's what the owner has always used in his logo. It's easy enough to change. I did add two items that I think will help. First - there's a "Free shipping for orders over $50" note that is fairly prominent. Secondly, we've added a toll free number. I'm sure there are a lot of folks who surf for products but aren't comfortable ordering online. Having to pay for the call might dissuade them from ordering so we rolled out an 800 number. Take another look at the site www.suburbansport.com and also the About Us page at http://suburbansport.com/info.html where I put in a few photos of the store itself to give buyers a comfort level that we're not a couple of guys operating out of a garage.