Note to New Members ×

Rad-Air Tanker OS 187 + TD1s?

fishrising

How will TD1s perform on a Tanker?

I currently have a set of SnowPro Race LTDs on her, and like them. But I want to switch this board over to step-ins, and the only pair of bindings I have floating around that are at least rear boot step in, are an old pair of TD1s.

In my opinion the TD1s will be stiffer than the Race LTDs. But will they be too stiff on the Tanker? And do I need to worry about the smaller footprint of the TD1s vs Race LTDs on the Tanker?

Any thoughts?

By the way I am 6'7" and 250+lbs if that matters...

I am trying to avoid spending money on another new set of bindings this year. I've already bought a new Donek and new bindings for that this year...

No answer for you on that question, but another question; Is that the 187 in your avatar, and I noticed you are running fairly steep angles on that baby. How does it ride for you w/plates and those angles, what are you running for angles, and what size (mondo) boots are you using. I am asking these questions as I am loking at adding a Tanker to my quiver and I've thought about a 187, but have been advised against it due to my foot size (mondo 27).

Yeah, that's it in the avatar with old Proflex bindings on it. I've got mondo 31s. Not sure of the angles, I would have to check. I think it rides great off-piste. I've only ridden it a handful of days, and mostly in the trees in New England, and then some groomers getting in and out of the trees, albeit I was doing more skidding than carving. I think once I learn to ride it better on the groom, it will rail. It's got a small SCR, about 9m or so. But I can feel it's potential, I just need to get caught up with it!

are stiff buggers with a small footprint

even with catek FRs I feel that the small footprint can be felt under foot when you load up the board if the deck is wide or really long and flexy

I'd say slap some plastic plates on there, if I put plates on wide rides like that I certainly like 'em soft, but usually still prefer softboots with freeride boards.

I had a older tanker 192 with os1s on it and pulled the topsheet. I have a 187os-192-200 of the same 02-03 models as yours and no problems at all with the os1 stepins. The newer ones are fairly indestructable. However Os1's do have a wider footprint than the td1's and you are a big guy. I run steeper angles also on them. 60/55 190lbs 29mondo. Ask SVR, he is the NA rep now.

Jim

As for the question of TD1's with Tankers, it does not always happen, but some riders who have used them on the tankers have had problems of cracking the topsheet and some core damage due to the small footprint of the TD1 baseplate. The TD2's and Catek's have a wider footprint and haven't caused any problems that I know of as of yet on older or newer tankers.

Sorry Jim, RJ is the NA rep for Rad-Air and is doing a great job. I had mentioned maybe doing it, but my work keeps me moving too much and I am back in Japan again now.

Rad-Air boards top the highest quality boards in the industry. In manufacture they don't hold back in carbon, aramid, wood, etc. Harry (Rad-Air co-founder) has decades of experience in a few different snowboard companies. Bottom line - these boards rock.

Even with all that said, I wouldn't ride TD1s on any non-race board unless I didn't care if my board broke.

If you are forced to ride TD1s on it please use some form of support between the bindings and the board. It will help to spread the leverage over a wider area. Do some searches here and you can find examples from cutting boards to extra p-tex.

Good luck.