Note to New Members ×

body armour -- Minimal requirements

paappraiser

I don't even use wrist guards...just the helmet.

If we say that a serious wreck is one that you feel until the next season, I've only had two serious wrecks snowboarding. In one case, I stuffed the nose; shoulder pads on my leading shoulder might have helped. Notice the "might" there - I'm not certain that shoulder pads would have provided enough cushioning.

The other wreck, armor wouldn't have helped. I had the weirdest fall I've ever heard of - headfirst with my body folding up like an accordion. I bruised my abs on my ribs, and I still have some deep bruising. If I'd had a chest plate, I think it would have been worse.

So, that's about two serious wrecks in 8 seasons or so, and just one that armor would have helped. Given those odds, it's not worth it to me to wear armor, though I appreciate that the calculation might come out differently for other riders, especially if you spend a lot of time on a crowded hill.

I use a helmet and a fully packed Dakine Heli pack when freeriding, there have been half a dozen times when I've done endos that the pack has acted like a spine protector and saved me from injury.

I also use kneepads when racing gates and riding through trees on blizzard whiteout days- they have saved my knees from major impact damage. I wear them underneath my bibs.

Here are the kneepads that I use- very low profile and great mobility:

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?Knee-Caps#

George

Helmet n wrist guards no matter what,

Then depending on what I am up to my lacrosse shoulder pads n rib guards

less frequently the shorts with tailbone/hip/thigh padding .

The older you get the more things hurt.

My hard wrecks have usually involved off piste, high speed over the bars to left side of head/shoulder with arm tucked under the ribs on the first hit evolving to the "flying W 1080" give or take a rotation or two.

my armour has saved me from many a broken collar bone, and having broken the same patch of ribs three times from mtn bikes and snowboard a guy gets a touch "smarter????"

Just remember helmets/armour will not prevent tendon/ligamentous injuries or be the magic panacea for all your high speed "titsers"

As to the collision thing , (has not been issue for me, I wear to protect myself from my own stupidity,) would you rather be the Escalade or the Honda Civic.

helmet and a motocross kidney belt are essential but a GIANT pair of Hockey pants, some beefy shouldler pads and a football helmet with a full mask are a good idea for those crowded weekend days. I really like the custom spikey shoulder pads Deegan has, he got them from the guy in GWAR.

post-123-141842221323_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842221325_thumb.gif

I wear more armor than any body I ride with.

My everyday load out goes as follows:

Rock Gardn Body Armor

RED hip pads

Helmet

I add on knee pads when riding the park and pipe.

The hip pads has saved me from a lot of bruises when I've lost an edge during my many EC runs.

I wear the body armor just in case I get T-Boned while ECing. I've had some close calls, but I haven't been hit yet. I did put the body armor to use once when I clipped another rider's board and went head over heels.

The older I get, the more padding I put on.

so far, Helmet only.

although, after last year's injury, i'm gonna get one of those turtle shell spine protectors at the very least.

wrist guards... hmmm, i've only fractured my wrist once. i figure, given enough speed, the energy is transfered where the wrist guards end, which is your mid-forearm. this is likely to lead to a radial/ulnar fracture/break. i'd rather have that injury in my lower wrist. granted, it's much harder to fracture/break your radius and/or ulna, but if you do, that just sounds worse. i'm not actually sure if it is.

but at the very least, a helmet is a must, mainly because of all the other psychos on the slope (in my case it's just stupid me hurting myself).

besides the helmet i always wear forearm/elbow guards. isn't very good for the outerlayer but saves from icy 'bubbles' that are sticking out of the slope and give some blue and green 'friends' on my arms;) and makes me feel more secure when i'm carving on really hardpacked...

helmet, wrist-guards and hip protection. Hip pads insulate cold chairs, also good for sitting in snow. But I was most fortunate to have been wearing my pads when T-Boned by a straightliner. Still left a huge glute bruise but it would have been far worse with no protection.

probably going to wear knee pads this year when conditions are firm. was getting a sore back knee from occasionally dragging it on hardpack last year.

The T-Boning incident has me wanting spinal protection but haven't got any yet.

I use helmet, it's a new habit but now I cannot think about riding without it even though it's not very sexy:p ; I've used roller wrist protection for years but I intend to stop using that...and last but not the least, I use volley-ball protection for my knees. Without it, after one day, knees are purple to red like blood:cool: not that I fell, but I stop quite often on the side of the slope to rest and have a 'clear/clean' slope and I think that waiting on knees is more convenient than the other way to check coming skiers and riders.

I always wear the helmet now.

In the last few seasons, I started wearing my DH knee / shin combo. That back knee is very exposed, sticking out like that. Especially on a 'der day when you can't see what's just under the surface.

I debate the ass pants and flak jacket... like today. Early season Lake Louise should demand it.

Why don't I? Maybe I don't want to look all puffed up. It sure doesn't bother me riding bike on a 30 C day downhilling... Why would it at -10?

Just pride, I guess.

I wear more armor than any body I ride with.

My everyday load out goes as follows:

Rock Gardn Body Armor

RED hip pads

Helmet

I add on knee pads when riding the park and pipe.

The hip pads has saved me from a lot of bruises when I've lost an edge during my many EC runs.

I wear the body armor just in case I get T-Boned while ECing. I've had some close calls, but I haven't been hit yet. I did put the body armor to use once when I clipped another rider's board and went head over heels.

The older I get, the more padding I put on.

How does the RockGarden Fit? Nice... I was looking at them

For the most part i would think you want to be flexible. When you're rolling over backwards it seems like a chest protector would do some harm. I could see your legs pushing it up into your neck or face. And my dad broke his collarbone landing on his shoulder. No way would shoulderpads help.

Bottom line is body armor is good for sharp quick blows. Branches, maybe bouncing off rocks it would help. But in a crash it wouldn't help because the body armor needs something behind it to hold up. That something is you.

Just a helmet so far, but after taking a couple of really ugly back-slams last season I've thought about a spine protector. Might also be good if you get rear-ended as well - the thought of ski tips into my back at speed makes me cringe.

I don't tend to come down on the front/knees/wrists so much any more, it's mainly hips and butt ... so padded shorts might be nice too. My only concern is what I do with all this gear when I need to pee. It's OK for you guys (pout).