Note to New Members ×

body armour -- Minimal requirements

paappraiser

You do the same thing I do when I poop, pull em down.

I've tried wrist guards, Level gloves (ech), full face helmets, padded shorts, kneww pads and various assorted race (ski and board, not MX) armor.

After limited success, changes to my mobility and the hasal factor, I'm down to a good, non full faced helmet. My wrists and arms get ust as banged up with guards as not, kneww pads slip and rotate during falls, and padded shorts never seemed to help with normal carving/freeriding. I've considered a turtle shell, but wonder if it will be another piece of gear I just don't wear.

There's a helmet on SAC as we speak.
and it's only $27 ! cheaper than a proform. Bern is put out by Dennis Leedom who did Leedom helmets through Boeri/MPH. and it's good for water sports too.biking, skating, kayaking,etc http://www.steepandcheap.com/

I'll wear a speedo on the hill if these 2 will "plow" into me ...

post-123-141842221329_thumb.jpg

Even here in the icy Midwest, it's helmets only. Maybe some duct tape on jacket seams. You're so close to the snow how much can a fall hurt? :biggthump

Granted, 15 years ago, when dialing in my first freestyle board, it might have made a difference, but no one made any back then. I did have a good instructor, who taught how to fall, w/o reaching, but then again the tuck and roll comes naturally to barefooters.

I'll be on my 2 nd pass while you're still gearing up, something to think about. And remember if it was easy, and inexpensive, and painless, everybody would be doing it.

Old, but still fast.....

Alg

How does the RockGarden Fit? Nice... I was looking at them

The RockGardn has a really good fit. It has some velcro straps to allow a customized fit. When I'm riding, I forget that I'm even wearing it.

With my jacket on, you can't tell that I'm wearing body armor.

I do get some strange looks when I take off my jacket during lunch. I even get people asking me if they can punch me in the chest to check out how well the padding works.

I actually ride with helmet, wrist guards, padded jacket and shorts, but for regular freecarving on groomed slopes, the minimal protection I would recommend is a helmet, a safety-aware brain inside of it (unfortunately most snowboarders lack either).

If you really want to improve your safety, being physically fit is probably the best way to protect yourself. Most people here see snowboarding as their "exercise" but if you really want to get the most out of snowboarding (and out of life I guess) you should be getting regular exercise. Being overweight is obviously bad for injuries as you are putting a lot more pressure on your muscles and joints.

and it's only $27 ! cheaper than a proform. Bern is put out by Dennis Leedom who did Leedom helmets through Boeri/MPH. and it's good for water sports too.biking, skating, kayaking,etc http://www.steepandcheap.com/

I'll wear a speedo on the hill if these 2 will "plow" into me ...

For putting this thread onto common ground.

As far as what I wear. Only a helmet now. Hip pads would be great for the leading hip, knee pads could be tried out this year. I am a minimalist. Don't even like extra things in my pockets, so it takes some adjustment to go to the pads. Always thought about a football girdle with those removable hip pads for leading hip. Sometimes on firm days I wish I had something on my elbows.

I can get ya a good deal on a new hat. Fleece is the new wool.Goretex is even better. I've got a couple of demo helmets if ya wanna try one. We'll be at SugarLoaf afew times this season.The helmets are Ovo Awols L and XL with Coolmax removable liners.

post-123-141842221337_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842221338_thumb.gif

No helmet yet, just a mad bomber hat, u know the rabbit fur hat leather nice and warm, kinda scares people, but then again so does my riding, I think im going to get a pair of ass and thigh pads for these icy hills, also god when there blowing those snow guns and your on the chair lift and its -4 ...:lol: at least the wind was calm.. :biggthump

I need to do something with my head phones ever since I or My board sprung me on my head about five years ago..I think of getting those ear phones that dont have that metal band that goes over your head it acts like a razor to your scalp if your head hits the ground properly..:1luvu:

How does the RockGarden Fit? Nice... I was looking at them

I have a Rockgardn Flak Jacket and love the way it fits. I use it when I`m on my Dirtsufer and it has saved my skin on several occasions.

Never tried wearing it on the snow, snow is friendly compared to roads, packed sand and single track. If I ever get to the ability level to try ECing I`ll consider it, to stop the skiers from causing me to much injury.:(

FWIW I wear a camelbak, and As i drink, i fill it back up with air, at first i was just doing this to keep the gatorade from freezing, but after a tumble onto my back once, i found it worked as a really nice pad. As did the mtn biker whos life was saved by his from a high fall.

I also wear a helmet, wrist guards and Burton padded shorts. I like having that little bit of cush even when i just stop and lay for a sec, I wish my jacket had elbow pads like my motorcycle jacket does.

Americans seem to wear helmets a lot. Otherwise all that stuff is for people in half-pipes.

What do I need body armour for? When I stop I make sure people can't crash into me by picking a sensible place. I suppose I could crash and burn, but I can't remember when that last happened. If you do fall, you're most likely to slide in on your hips. Can't see what the fuss is about meself.

But it's all good: wear what makes you feel comfortable..

I caught a nice death cookie with my kneecap last March--just a bad bruise. It was the last day I went out without my knee pads.

Happened to me Friday. Kneecap is a little tender now especially after riding hard all day yesterday too. Unfortunately I am rained out today :( so it will get some rest.