Note to New Members ×

Techniques for carving a Coiler in powder

jhcolman

i find that i don't carve on pow. i just tend to do the straight b-line down the fall line sort of approach. the speed keeps me on the surface of the pow. the moment i try anything fancy or try to carve, my board starts sinking, and things get rough.

the other nice thing about pow is that hurting yourself is pretty damn hard, unless your run into a tree, or another person on the slopes. if you eat it at mach speeds, the pow just absorbs the impact and you're up and ready to go in no time.

i've only done this on boards with a waist width of 230cm or greater, so it's definitely not a coiler or near the width of one that's for sure. i can only imagine things being harder with a thinner board, unless it has a lot of taper.

oh yeah, and pow is also a good work out too. definitely eats up your stamina (mine at least) a lot faster than harder packed stuff. oh, and one last thing before this gets too long winded...

get the right kind of wax. my buddy had the wrong kind of wax, and he was sticking to the snow. when we stopped and turned his board over on the base, there were huge patches of snow stuck to the bottom of his board. i almost think if would have been better if he had no wax.

Do you guys ever toss your plates on freeride boards for pow or early-season board-eating snow?

heck yes, I ride my 4807 and an Arbor freeride board with plates. At this point I'm so used to plates that it would feel weird to ride softies, even on a pow day.

What he said. I was kind of assuming that went as read: just rent a board and stick your plates on it.

Personally I mellow my angles a fraction (55 instead of 60) for powder boards, but that's just habit and I never actually tried experimenting with angles on powder - I just stuck with what I knew worked.

You need to be slightly careful with stance width - I'm not sure where the current fashion is, but a few years ago some boards had huge minimum stance width, which would presumably look really good with your baggy pants, but which caused trouble with hard boots. Salomon was worse than Burton IIRC. Anyway, it's worth checking if you're renting as it takes a while to figure out in the snow.

You guys ever have trouble figuring out what boards to bring on a trip?

Do I ever! Last year I wasted a perfectly good trip to Jay Peak by bringing my powder board. Turned out that the snow they had gotten the day before had all blown off the mountain that night! So there I am, faced with blue ice, standing staring at it holding the flexiest and shortest of my boards. Doh! :smashfrea Now I always take a groomer board and my pow board, wherever I go.

Do I ever! Last year I wasted a perfectly good trip to Jay Peak by bringing my powder board. Turned out that the snow they had gotten the day before had all blown off the mountain that night! So there I am, faced with blue ice, standing staring at it holding the flexiest and shortest of my boards. Doh! :smashfrea Now I always take a groomer board and my pow board, wherever I go.

Justin, did you look in the woods? That's the way Jay Peak works... After the dump, the wind blows all the snow off the trails ... and deposits it in the woods! :biggthump

oh yeah, and pow is also a good work out too. definitely eats up your stamina (mine at least) a lot faster than harder packed stuff. oh, and one last thing before this gets too long winded...
Really? I find powder to be nearly effortless. Just tip the board over, and round we go. Mind, my experience is mostly with Banff area powder. It's quite light, but OTOH it's not bottomless either (or at least, hasn't been for me). But in knee deep or hip deep, it's just major fun, and for me much more intuitive than hard pack riding.

Never been to LL/Sunshine but I'd bring his race deck and the tools necessary to move hid bindings and if you get dumped on, rent a capable FR board and he can put his bindings on it and go crazy.

I have a Coiler PR 188 that I've taken on a few powder jaunts and it's just too darn stiff to be effective on anything that isn't wide, wide open and untracked. I find anything that is heavier than true powder and tracked to be infuriatingly difficult on a GS board unless I can easily reach bottom and carve it. Even tracked powdre I find fristrating on a GS. The 4" or so we had the 2nd to last day of SES last year is about my upper limit and even then I will usually gram an AM carver.

But honestly - he may find the best part of the trip is riding his GS board on western groomers :biggthump

Really? I find powder to be nearly effortless. Just tip the board over, and round we go. Mind, my experience is mostly with Banff area powder. It's quite light, but OTOH it's not bottomless either (or at least, hasn't been for me). But in knee deep or hip deep, it's just major fun, and for me much more intuitive than hard pack riding.

it's probably because i'm usually going straight down the hill, not carving. for me trying to carve in pow eats up a lot of my stamina especially since i'm riding on my back leg the whole time, and that rear leg burn really kills me (i'm a lazy ass that's out of shape even though i don't look it at 5'10 and 150#). that, and when i eat it in really deep pow, i usually find my head buried under all the snow, and it's a lot harder to stand up. trying to push off of pow with your hand so you can get back up doesn't work since they just sink and go through the snow. not falling tends to remedy that problem.

combine all of that with the fact that i'm probably nowhere near your guy's skill levels (i maybe only see 2-3 pow days a year if i'm lucky), and you have one huffing and puffing (hehe, puffing... that probably doesn't help either) kid that's out of breath with noodle legs.

People sure like calling powder, pow. You'd think it was a really long word or something. I think I might start to call it "der".

-Der used in a sentence....

Man, there is nothing like riding in waist deep der. After a big storm, standing on the top looking down into a bowl of untracked der. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Fresh der. Love it, Live it.

Pow just has a ring to it. The der on the end of the word just makes it sound ugly.

Perhaps it's just the downward inflection with the der syllable. Plus, the word pow just rolls off of your lips. Having to pronounce the d in der is a bit of a pain; there's a lot of lip and tongue movement in such a small word.