Note to New Members ×

Anyone else have an Asym?

jnshapiro

I just sold my first carving board, a Santa Cruz 156 Race (goofy). My friend, Jim still has his same board (regular). That Santa Cruz was a Volkl board with a SC topsheet. Reinforced on the heel side with additional metal for heel side toughness.

I wouldn't ride a asym from the wrong side :smashfrea

--Hugh

when my heelsides became stronger than my toesides, I considered switching my stance as an experiment to see if I could impart some of that heelside angulation to my toeside. In the end I found a way I could force my hip down on a toe side anyway. I always wondered though, how it would feel.

Bobd

I am not sure that it is going to work for most asyms to ride them back to front; however the M has a sym nose and an asym tail is and sym camber is that right, so it would be not quite as bad as the fully asym boards like the nidecker which has different sidecuts, shifted nose and tail, and weird asym camber as well.

I still have a nitro EFT 156 which I need to T bolt at some point; the funny thing is I used to ride boards 10 years ago, and to me 165 seemed reasonably long; now I ride the same boards like a nitro scorpion and they seem short. Also.. the stance on the EFT is really narrow compared to nowadays.

I have put on more weight and changed boots (from ski boots to indys) but I think mostly it is having a bit more time to use more modern techique than before maybe.

So...I am looking forward to try for the asym again, simply to see how it feels. I think I also have a couple of nitro epics as well back when i was racing that were never used; again, need t bolting though to be rideable.

However, all up I'd say riding it back to front?!! I think you need to try a modern board, and compare.

Anyone else got an asym?

:biggthump Yep!

Got 2 but only using one and keeping the other as a souvenir (my first board), I have posted a picture somewhere in a post about old snowboards. Funny thing about asym is that a few years back I really didn't like symetrical boards but now it doesn't make any difference; I think I haven't changed much but boards have...like it's not as heavy as it used to be.

As for the backwards cut, amazing:lol: never even thought it was possible, your style of riding must be a bit special! Might give it a try using my brother's asym board as he's goofy and i'm regular. He got an old F2 Firebird and I have a Lacroix. Now I have 2 new boards, I keep this 'no flex' Asym when there are too many rocks on the slope.

My first board was a Kemper Asym, I think it is 167 or something in that range, with those "bright colors" Fritschi (or emery??) bindings.

Can't even remember the year/model of that set-up but almost killed myself a couple times before buying new stuff !

I kept that board as a souvenir but would never ride it again !

Thx to oldsnowboards.com, here's a picture of the old lady !

post-2991-141842219664_thumb.jpeg

I have 2 asyms currently. The first is a Kemper Apex GS 170 (Goofy) with Sims bindings. It is still fun to ride, and after getting hard boots last year definitely different than when I used to ride in my ski boots. LOL. The second is a Hooger Booger, all I can remember about it at the moment is that it is blue, asym (goofy) a 162 or 168 (cant recall) and I believe they said it was a "slalom" board. Unfortunately I have never gotten to ride this board and as far as I know it has NEVER been ridden because I have been unable to find any bindings that fit the binding hole pattern, and I am loathe to drill new holes in it.The pattern is like this (Hexagonal I believe):

. .
. . .
 . .

If anyone knows what kind of bindings these things originally were compatible with I am looking for a pair :)

( Great rock boards )

I would like to try riding a "regular" ( i'm goofy ) asym O2 KR 159 backwards with my full face helmet on backwards. Maybe wear my boxers backwards too, "just in case".

I actually enjoy hucking this little baby around on chopped up steeps and spring slush. Works great as a freeride board...

Hurry up snow! I'm ready!

post-182-141842219682_thumb.jpg

I have a pj and the aforementioned nidecker with the asym everything. The PJ is floppy and sloppy and easily tweaked, loads of fun in the slop and on rock days. the nidecker is a great ride except I am so big I can overpower it and leave it behind.

I would love a shot a the M6 I have been looking for one myself as it was my first alpine board. sounds like yours is newer though. mine was a 90 with the blue and white topsheet. fond memories and I am dieing to find out if it rides as good as I remember.

. .

. . .

. .

[/html]

If anyone knows what kind of bindings these things originally were compatible with I am looking for a pair :)

I have a hooger booger and it has 3 hole burton bindings mounted to it. I think the pattern is the same. Looks like this.

. . .

. . . .

. . .

One of my boards is an old Burton M6, 162cm. It's a fun board to ride, though the asym cut is backwards for me (I ride goofy).

Anyone else got an asym?

Too Good!!

Good support for my philosophy that the body/mind can adapt to compensate for a wide range of changes. Amazing!!

This is a "Keeper"

This one has ski bindings on it!! :lol:

Asym Gallery

I have 2 asyms currently. The first is a Kemper Apex GS 170 (Goofy) with Sims bindings. It is still fun to ride, and after getting hard boots last year definitely different than when I used to ride in my ski boots. LOL. The second is a Hooger Booger, all I can remember about it at the moment is that it is blue, asym (goofy) a 162 or 168 (cant recall) and I believe they said it was a "slalom" board. Unfortunately I have never gotten to ride this board and as far as I know it has NEVER been ridden because I have been unable to find any bindings that fit the binding hole pattern, and I am loathe to drill new holes in it.The pattern is like this (Hexagonal I believe):

. .
. . .
 . .

Although the binding patterns were NOT standardized. Several companies did incorporate similar patterns. Others of course did not.

If anyone wants an asym for free (since the current price includes a set of intec F2 bindings) they can get this old beamer on ebay at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpine-Snowboard-157-F2_W0QQitemZ270035517960QQihZ017QQcategoryZ36297QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't use the heels so no good to me; plus is round the wrong way :-)

Jack>? You keen????!!

Here are some more pics....

My hardboot boards, my softboot boards and my kickerfoot cants with slight modifications to work in the drake matrix bindings.

000_0214.jpg

Hooger Booger Booster 167, Hot Blast 162, Kemper Apex GS 170 :)

000_0215.jpg

Gnu Rider's Choice 161.5M (Magnatraction) :eplus2: , Supernatural 162

DSC00366.jpg

Kickerfoot installed in my drake matrix bindings. Had to remove Drake footpads.

DSC00367.jpg

Noticed that there was some serious gap in the back because of the design of the drakes compared to other brands, So I innovatively created a spacer out of Diet Pepsi Lids :lol:

DSC00368.jpg

Another shot of the innovative space age spacing system ;)