Note to New Members ×

Swallowtail Opinions

D.T.

If anyone can't push the 185 Undertaker through trees, they shouldn't be in trees.

I think I could probably push one through there, if I had to. It'd be easier in summer I think, and it'd have to be downhill. We're talking about pushing it through the branches of course: the trunks would be a bit tricky.

Overall I think they're more useful hanging on your wall.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta disagree with this, put in the time and effort to do it right, and your rewards will be flat unbelieveable, kinda like carving! And trees are doable on a 178 for sure, I've done it both in Washington and Utah. And I'm no giant with huge legs either.

I think I could probably push one through there, if I had to. It'd be easier in summer I think, and it'd have to be downhill. We're talking about pushing it through the branches of course: the trunks would be a bit tricky.

I think we get it. PhilW , doesn't care much for swallowtails, believes they are over-rated. He is fortunate enough to ride lots of heli and has a made a choice. Jon, we also have that choice and our personal preferences and understanding may vary. Isn't it great to have these choices!

In teh monashees a typical run may well be trees top-to-bottom; most runs start with glacier and progress through trees through to a clear cut. So you need to be able to ride those different conditions.

The cat stuff is a bit different in terrain and guests. The pace is a lot slower and [where I ride] there are fewer trees, so you could probably get away with big board. But not many people try.

I done a cat trip to the monashees the last 3 years (MPA Anstey) and rode tankers every time. I have used a 02-03 187 wide, 192, 200 without any problems in the trees and had they incredable float. The 02-03 white ones are a little heavier and beefier than some of the other tankers. I ride them in a neutral centered stance with OS1 stepins and indies. I was always able to end up first down due to the excellent speed they provide .This speed/float actually lets you turn faster and tighter by giving extra energy to burn on terrian features. I would get a newer (lighter) tanker as they are awesome. This year I get to try some td2's -thanks Bryan.

Jim

post-219-14184221997_thumb.jpg

Okay, I can't resist. No offense phil, but my UT 198 kills in the trees. Powder is a state of mind and a board is just a tool. You can't "carve" tight tree lines on the 198 but a little surfie goes a long way. My favorite "carving" weapon for the uber tight lines in bottomless is my ancient custom FP slalom (too soft for hard lining any more). It's 17cm by 164ish and I'm about 195. The last time I said this D-sub trumped my experience by saying "powder-specific" boards are absolutely better in the pow. It takes a few seasons to rip trees on a 17cm board but I guarantee it's worth it. Kinda like an F-15 with the wings locked back. After you get to speed you carve only the top of the snow.. very, very fast.

I live five minutes from the tram at the Heave and haven't missed a Pow day in over twenty years. Not to brag, just another perspective. I enjoy your posts, Dave and Phil, please don't take this the wrong way. The 198 is not the best tree ride but the contention that there isn't a resort in North America where you can ride it is ridiculous.

Everyone who's serious needs a decent pow gun (ST) but not a second board, more like 12th or 15th. Yeah, I know I'm old but not Oldschool more like Preschool.

P S Six inches of snow on my deck last nite has me more than just a little fired up!!

The last time I said this D-sub trumped my experience by saying "powder-specific" boards are absolutely better in the pow.

and for the general population, they are. Would you tell a random to try a 17cm waisted board in 3' of fresh?

if you did, you would be labelled a sadist.

I stick by my statement :) but I doubt I EVER said you cant ride (insert board) here in fresh conditions

man...the slope pic posted above made me cry. the tanker lamp..well...

Would you tell a random to try a 17cm waisted board in 3' of fresh?
Why not? You've got at least as much float with that as you would with a pair of wide freeride skis. Most any board is going to work in powder, some better than others of course. I think the flex pattern is just as important. Hyper-stiff is harder to work with, especially if the "powder" is heavy and/or cut up.

Why not?

Because it's a very silly thing to do?

I know because I've done it. I once took a Nitro Scorpion out for a day at Wiegele's. It's just stupidly hard, for all the obvious reasons.

I also rode a week there on a GS board in about 1991. That worked better because it was bigger, but it's still exhausting. Landings are particularly difficult (too stiff in the tail, not wide enough).

hehe, and what're the chances that a board with a 17cm waist width is going to be flexy and soft??

I don't know about you, but if I see a 17cm waist board i "assume" that it's a stiff board and probably designed more for carving/racing and not pow.

It would be like taking a subaru impreza wrx through 1 foot of fresh mud after a storm and saying "It has 4WD, it should kick ass just like my truck with 4wd kicks ass..." and completely ignoring the extra 7-8 inches of ground clearance that your truck has...

Why not? You've got at least as much float with that as you would with a pair of wide freeride skis. Most any board is going to work in powder, some better than others of course. I think the flex pattern is just as important. Hyper-stiff is harder to work with, especially if the "powder" is heavy and/or cut up.

why not recommend it to a random?

because it isnt the right tool for the job. Not even close. Flex, width, shape, not to mention stance angles

Im not saying it can't be done, but there are way too many "I can ride anything anywhere" hotheads here. Ive ridden up to 190 race boards in fresh, but never in super deep. Far from ideal. Ive also seen sutherland tear it up on his identity in fresh, chop, steep, slush...so again Im not saying it cant be done but for the average rider its just not ideal.

Phil, you tried a slalom board once? in bottomless and you didn't master it? What race stik did you master the first time out? I learned to pow on a 17cm board because I was a broke board hound with one board. I take it out still because, after much practice, it just rocks. Much meaning over 50 bottomless lifetime days. Bottomless meaning you ride with a buddy cause a fall may be very, very bad. Multiple, multiple dumps. Bottomless usually means all roads closed. Now I think I finally understand your aversion to the swallow. Once is nowhere near enough. Did you start waterstarting your sailboard the first time out? Did you go upwind on your kiteboard the first time out?

Dave, the right tool for the pow is between your ears. I know you guys can ride well, I've been reading your thoughts for years. I can also understand that if you only get out on a weekend here or there or if you're usually teaching and your freeriding is limited that you don't want to try new (wrong) things. You want to do what you do best to max the fun. That's fine, but old is defined by the lack of desire to explore new horizons.

I don't mean to offend here. I'm not a hothead. I doubt I can rail groom as well as most of the members here, but I can keep up in the powder.

ST varies and different riders prefer different boards. I still think it is a good idea that the O-sin (Dynaster) is dead. I have one that is gathering dust.

www.allboardssports.com

So what don't you like about the O-Sin 4807?

The only powder specific boards I've owned were the Burton Fish (156?) and the 168 cm 4807. Both boards made powder riding much easier and both can be had for under $150 each. I kept the O-Sin and sold the Fish.

The Pogo D-Day (169 cm) is the ST I've been lusting for. But, at $1100 plus shipping, I'll have to wait a little longer.

DT look what you started!

Yeah, what is your point? :D

Nice write-up Bola. Thank for putting the time in summarize your thoughts. I feel as though I need a ST in the quiver, it is just a matter of which one. If I had the $$$, I would have several so that I could test them myself and determine which was the best board for me.

Ah, you know those les arcs guys too. Last I heard RR was riding skis again, and Craig is dead. The point is kind of lost on me I'm afraid.

Phil, you tried a slalom board once? in bottomless and you didn't master it?

I didn't say that. Check it again and come back if you're still having trouble with your comprehension.

Because it's a very silly thing to do?

I know because I've done it. I once took a Nitro Scorpion out for a day at Wiegele's. It's just stupidly hard, for all the obvious reasons.

I also rode a week there on a GS board in about 1991. That worked better because it was bigger, but it's still exhausting. Landings are particularly difficult (too stiff in the tail, not wide enough).

"I once took a nitro scorpion out for a day ay Wiegele's. It's just stupidly hard."

I guess you're right, you didn't say bottomless. :)

Hey DT,

A little late in the chain, but worth chimming in. I was priveliged to get a first run '07 Powstick 176 from the boys at Prior last Spring, and had a weekend at Steven's Pass, WA, in rain and slush, and the the following Easter weekend at Mt. Hood in 4' of freshies, incl. off piste.

I have never, had as much fun, ever. In the slush, I had a ball, bought all new rain gear just to stay out. Had the place to myself :) and loved every minute. The pow also carves up the groomers quite well, despite the soft flex, this board will definatly be my one trick pony for buisness travels. The Pow floats with a nuetral stance, turns at the very thought, and smokes when pointed downhill. It took my game way up, I took everything thing Hood had, and all I could say was "Next". I do ride this stick with plates, albeit not as aggresive as my WCR.

I am told by Prior that there is a significant desgn change in this board for 2007, so I can't speak for the 06's. However I did meet a suncoast dude in Tahoe last year who swore by his.

Maybe you could plan your season by hitting demo days accross the country, try 'em all....:D

Good Lucl!

Al,

:biggthump making the most of my dash!

Guest afragen

And get yourself a Miura. Nothing like it. Like shortboard surfing. The board is a work of art to ride and to look at. I know it is expensive but trust me, it is worth every euro that it costs!