Note to New Members ×

Coyotes...

Justin A.

We have recently had some new neighbors move in around us, they don't live in a house, they're short, REALLY hairy, walk around on all fours and they don't speak clearly. They've been bothering us and our dogs during nighttime walks and potty breaks, and besides arming ourselves, we can't think of anything else to do that would make them keep their distance. We're not particulary concerned with them being there, but their stalking of us at night is really unnerving. Any ideas?

________

List Of Yamaha Products Specifications

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope, no livestocks hur...we were thinking more along the lines of repelents or deterrents as our main course of action, but the shoot'n em dead is an option if they attack. Us environmental folk think that they have a right to be here and all, but still don't want to be bothered. Putting up a fence is not an option as this happens all up and down our street. Like I said, we don't want to kill them unless we need out of defense.

:AR15firin coyotes.

________

Omaha Motor Company Assembly Plant

what about carrying a slingshot? Even if you hit them it probably won't kill 'em but it would let them know who's boss. If you don't hit them the ricochet might cause them to think twice. I used to carry a slingshot in the foothills when I went out at night. Buy yourself a nice wrist rocket style, lots of velocity, get some ammo too. Rocks tend to fly all over the place.

We also have coyote problem here in Seattle area, recently we had a little girl bit by one and possibly tried to drag her away, after several days of being seen and one guy actually filming the coyote on his cell phone attacking him and then backing off the Sheriff showed up and took a couple of shots at him. He missed but the the coyote turned to see what was going on and then a bullet slammed into his head for the last view of man kind before he went to coyote heaven. Sad news is the head was shot up and they could not do rabies test so the girl had to go thru ugly painful treatment.

I've got a 425fps pellet gun that I carry when we go out, Im soon going to be investing in some real firepower in the form of a Glock 23C after a narrowly avoided confrontation with the two legged dangerous critter earlier this evening. Coyotes will defitley know who's boss then :angryfire

could you elaborate that last part ? two legged dangerous critter?

and as for the wildlifes, it's an ongoing problem. we, the humans, are multiplying like cockroaches. the wildlife are runnin' out of space to roam. hence they turned to humans. too bad, we kill 'em off so we'd be able to ensure the survival of -our- species.

Two Legged dangerous critter was a pair of thugs who were none too good at concealing their plans to mug my girlfriend and me while we were at petsmart. You don't watch someone while they're checking out and then walk out the door when their recipt starts printing.

As for the coyotes, we heard the pups last night, but nobody was stalking us that we heard. Ullr got a little spooked, but that could have been anything. St00ped coyotes.

Im considering getting that Llama :biggthump

________

VENTURE

They have been over at Greens pond in Merrimack for years, not a single incident reported. We see them while walking the dogs in Horse Hill too. They keep the varment population down and the cat too if you look at all the missing kitty signs around. And getting mugged on 101A... you must be watching too much TV. Possible over at the tree streets in Nashua but Petsmart...?

Two Legged dangerous critter was a pair of thugs who were none too good at concealing their plans to mug my girlfriend and me while we were at petsmart. You don't watch someone while they're checking out and then walk out the door when their recipt starts printing.

Sounds like Salem? I always considered that place to be an overflow for Lawrence. :boxing_sm Too bad; my mom was born and raised in Lawrence, which was a great place to be back in the day, and I used to go to Salem all the time before going to college. Be safe!

I've got coyotes, foxes, and the occasional bear in my neighborhood, but so far, they aren't a nuisance. I think they grab the occasional cat and small dog, but that's about it. Of course, last night I think I spotted a mountain lion or similar...it was way too big to be domestic! :eek:

They have been over at Greens pond in Merrimack for years, not a single incident reported. We see them while walking the dogs in Horse Hill too. They keep the varment population down and the cat too if you look at all the missing kitty signs around. And getting mugged on 101A... you must be watching too much TV. Possible over at the tree streets in Nashua but Petsmart...?

Who said 101A or nashua? Im in derry, we were in salem on 28...

I know about the other populations in the area, but Im not a fan of being stalked while I walk my dog, nor are the dogs.

Unfortunatley, salem is becoming an overflow of lawrence and derry is right next door. With only one police station that is 6 minutes away (by my fastest EVER time), Im not feeling too safe anymore. Granted, it's out in the boonies, but we have been broken into before when I was much younger.

________

Buy vaporgenie

They are a great passtime out west. extremely difficult to hunt.

For the enviros among us we are their natural predator. the wolves used to keep them in check but in many areas that is no longer an issue. here the wolves are back and have no predators ie protected so they are killing everything.

Coyotes are almost true nomads. they very seldom go the same place twice in a lifetime. If they are scared or injured they will never go back to that spot again. I recomend shooting blanks or some other loud noise or perhaps use bean bag ammo if you want to get rid of them. If they are hanging around and not moving throught the area they have altered their normal patterns in some way. learned behaviour that needs to be corrected. like bears that get into garbage cans in town. If you want to save them do them and you a favour scare them enough to run them off. also possible would be taser pepper spray etc.

For the realists out there. shoot em:AR15firin three more will be born in the next county. they breed so fast that a typical erradication program requires a kill rate of 75% or higher to actually lower population numbers. IF you kill 50% of them one year there will be higher populations next year. don't feel bad about killing a few problem coyotes. I worked ranches in wyoming and nebraska where we hunted them all winter and still couldn't make enough dent in the population to protect the calves.

House cats and dogs up to labrador size will start dissappearing if they haven't already. They are smart and pack hunt in some instances. We have seen them send a bitch in heat into the yard and lure a male dog outside the property where the rest of the pack jumps them. Sometimes the dog is big enough to fight em off sometimes he's not. cats and poodles don't stand a chance.

Come to think of it we don't have many poodles out west:lol::lol:

The owls love them the big cats love them and the coyotes love them the ospreys love them:D maybe they taste like chicken:ices_ange

and as for the wildlifes, it's an ongoing problem. we, the humans, are multiplying like cockroaches. the wildlife are runnin' out of space to roam. hence they turned to humans. too bad, we kill 'em off so we'd be able to ensure the survival of -our- species.

the predator populations are booming and it has more to do with the fact that we are providing more easy food sources for them. WE have so many cougars out here that they are found in town regularly. male cougar have a 250

=mile range so having more than one around is a sign that there are way to many. they are also being spotted as far east as kentucky and missouri far outside their original range. Whitetail deer have also adapted to humans quite well. populations are a whole order of magnitude larger than when europeans first set foot in the americas. they are so thick in town in new jersey that you can now bow hunt in town. the only animals with population fluctuations are those that aren't currently being managed. Predators are so heavily populated out west that the elk herds and the mule deer herds are in great danger. we need to cull a few predators and institute good management policies.

Ask california no more cougar control and the big kitties have graduated from poodles to kids and joggers.

I've got a 425fps pellet gun that I carry when we go out, Im soon going to be investing in some real firepower in the form of a Glock 23C after a narrowly avoided confrontation with the two legged dangerous critter earlier this evening. Coyotes will defitley know who's boss then :angryfire

You seriously would walk around with a loaded GLock to take out thugs? I take it this is a hand gun?

Or are you winding us up??!

Will you be able to shoot coyotes using that macho tilted to the side gansta style? Please video, I'd like to see that :-)

You seriously would walk around with a loaded GLock to take out thugs? I take it this is a hand gun?

Or are you winding us up??!

Will you be able to shoot coyotes using that macho tilted to the side gansta style? Please video, I'd like to see that :-)

Um...yes to carrying a loaded weapon (yes its a handgun) for personal defense, and no to shooting to break my wrist... What's so unbelievable about this? :confused:

________

THE BIG BANG THEORY DICUSSION

This is funny... carrying a loaded gun for "self-defense"...

How often will you be attacked by a "crazy dingo" in your lifetime ? If somebody wants to rob your wallet, will this be considered as "self defense" ?

We're not in Far West anymore. Even if G.W.B still believes he is.... :AR15firin

Sorry my "pure maple syrup canadian mind" had to say that !

The cities in this country and canadistan are more old west than the old west really was. I wouldn't walk the streets in any major city at nite without carrying. I don't condone waving them about haphazardly but its better to carry every day of your life and never need it than to not carry and need it once. In every instance documented, the institution of a concealed carry rights law has resulted in a dramatic reduction in violent crime. For good source on statistics read " More Guns Less Crime" the really interesting part is that in Most cases, We'll use florida as an example, less than three percent of the population actually goes out and gets a license and carries. the idea is that the bad guy suddenly doesn't know if you are carrying or not. The risk factor goes up significantly. On the other side of the coin countries like south africa and england that have completely banned weapons have experienced massive surges in violent crime rates. south Africa has got to the point where home invasion is the crime of choice. They break in while you are home and rape your wife in front of you and then steal your stuff.

Life is about personal responsibility and that includes your own safety. Castle doctrine laws are happening everywhere because they are successful. Don't count on the police to save you they have a hard time showing up at all in some cities and average something like 45 minutes. They might catch the guy eventually but that won't save you.

for those of you who don't have concealed carry laws. start fighting for them. Its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Incidentally in Montana we have more guns per capita than just about anywhere and I can remember only 2-3 murders in recent years within 200 mile radius of me. We never have muggings and we have little or no burglary.

The only rapes I can think of were campus things date rape and the like.

Attacking an innocent person for any reason here, could get you killed. Texas is the same as I understand it.

Not a redneck just a realist

the world is not a warm and fuzzy place and its never going to be so enjoy life and smell the roses but protect yourself and your family

Well put Dr. D. How often will I be attacked by a crazy Dingo in my lifetime? Well...I had never had a reason to fear for my personal well being before, and now, I have had 2 situations in the past week and a half where I was standing there figuring my options because I was unarmed. The right to carry a loaded firearm isn't a decision to go out and look for trouble and go kill people, it's a decision that is made in light of rising crime rates in my area to keep myself, my girlfriend, and my home safe. Think of it this way:

Imagine that it's the middle of the night and an unfamiliar voice awakens you. You hear strange noises from your daughter's bedroom. You rush down the hall, heart pounding. You fling open the door and see the glint of a knife held over your daughter. Her pajamas are ripped. Now, you choose the ending?

1.) You rush the attacker and defend yourself with your bare hands. Remember, he has a knife. I'll let your imagination finish the story.

2.) You run to the phone and dial 911, screaming until help arrives. If this is your choice, look at your watch and sit for three minutes. Imagine what is happening during that time to you, to your daughter. During a stabbing, three minutes is a very, very long time. Oh, and the help you have called will bring a gun. I guarantee it.

3.) You have your firearm aimed at the attacker. My choice. If he's smart, three lives will be spared. If not, I'm willing to sacrifice him over my daughter.

As the original author of that wrote, I choose option #3.

I may never have another situation like the two that I have had recently, but I can walk easier knowing that I can defend myself if need be. Granted, I am also a black belt, but Im out of practice and why bother getting closer to an assailant that you need to. Even martial arts masters use weapons.

Oh, Dr. D, it's the same in NH. If someone is breaking into your home, or using any form of unlawful force, they can be shot by another citizen. Thats not to say that if you see someone slapping someone else on the wrist with a ruler taht you can go up to them and shoot them, but if you see someone commiting a rape or mugging someone at knifepoint, or attempting to mug you, they had better be wearing armor (also a crime).

________

Babi mac

close is relative I guess. the average self defense use of a handgun is less than 7 feet. You don't even have to be a crack shot to defend yourself. for those of you conditioned to be scared of the HANDGUN word, its designed for self defense its small so you can conceal it and easily weild it in tight spaces It is not some evil incarnate specifically designed to wipe out the human race. that conception is a product of propaganda. Guns are tools just like shovels and screwdrivers and a psycho can kill with those just as easy as a gun. don't blame the tool blame the user. I fully expect some countries to ban knives next and then what? maybe we'll ban large sticks.:lol: