Note to New Members ×

Donek colors & Olympic Core help please...

fishrising

Ok, so I am about to pull the trigger on a new Donek, and I need to decide on the color.

If anyone has a Donek in one of these colors please post a pic of it...

Metallic Topsheet - Silver (hhhmmm)

Metallic Topsheet - Blue

Metallic Topsheet - Red

Solid Topsheet - Red

Solid Topsheet - Royal

Solid Topsheet - Black (one of my top choices)

Solid Topsheet - Clear (another strong contender)

Solid Topsheet - Ice Blue (hhhmmm)

It looks like I am going to order a 179 Oppenh FC, but I can't decide on the color or if I should go with the Olympic Core Construction (+$250).

I have a Donek 186 Tucker GS in black that looks pretty sweet. So, I may stick with black on this new one too...I like the look of clear, but I feel I should save that for when it's time to get an Axxess. Ice Blue and Silver sound nice too, but I would like to see some pics (other than what's on Sean's site).

Any thoughts/opinions on the color and Olympic Core Construction?

Metallic red FC 175 Olympic:

2cxjo78.jpg

I also have an older solid red Axis, I can snap some pix if nobody else posts one.

Olympic construction: JUST DO IT. The differences:

-Quiet ride on ice, very confidence building.

-Edge holds better on uneven / bumpy grooming

-Less knee-rattling on anything hard or bumpy

Unless Sean has changed things, only opaque topsheets are available on Olympic boards - so most of the solid colors which allow you to see the core (including red) would be out.

i have a metallic silver topsheet. great board of course, but i was thinking it would look like stainless steel (maybe like that volant) but it does not look like stainless steel. still cool. have a pic of part of it on my profile page. if you wanna have some fun, do your own graphics. Sean did great job of putting mine on

The metallic silver is a bit schizophrenic. On cloudy days, or in the shade, it looks dull. The colour is similar to snow and the board can be a bit invisible.

But then there's the times when the full sun hits it and it sparkles like a mirror ball.

75% of the time it's understated, and then 25% of the time - WOW!

I'll be ordering up my own Donek FC1 shortly and I'll be going with basic black. The outline of the FC is pretty badass and black makes it look even more so. Also, I'll be going with the Olympic construction so a solid topsheet is required.

The factor influencing the Olympic decision, along with those noted in previous posts, is that it will simply make is easier to be better. Particularly out here in the northeast where ice is the norm. As Sean pointed out when I spoke to him, people can tear it up ice on the normal construction, but you have to look at who those people are and decide what it would take for you to be that good (if ever). So I'm shellling out the $250 so I can get just that much more enjoyment out of my time on the slopes. Might seem like expensive insurance but price/value is always an individual determination.

I haven't ridden my Olympic yet, but one of the guys at the Sun Peaks camp rode an Olympic board last December, and said it was the smoothest thing he's ever been on. He had a high end Prior and said the Olympic Donek blew it away.

I can vouch for the metallic red. It was a toss up between the blue and the red, but the red looks sharp and of course goes faster...

I can vouch for the metallic red. It was a toss up between the blue and the red, but the red looks sharp and of course goes faster...

.....yeah, but your more likely to get pulled over by the ski patrol ;) I'm hoping Donek will come out with "Soccer Mom Beige" :biggthump ...

"I couldn't have possibly been going too fast, look at the color of my board! :lol:

.....yeah, but your more likely to get pulled over by the ski patrol ;) I'm hoping Donek will come out with "Soccer Mom Beige" :biggthump ...

"I couldn't have possibly been going too fast, look at the color of my board! :lol:

lol, so true. Same reason why I like such a color with cars (I favor sport saloons/sedans).

Navy Blue should be a good choice for under-the-radar bombing, I would think. Maybe Sean could fix you up with a gold but sans metallic finish?

Bachelor ski patrol just tells me how slick the metallic red looks when I ride up the lift with them :biggthump

I've only been "pulled over" at Snowbird... and that was admittedly with my first ever Donek, a solid red '01 Incline 160...

Thanks to all for your comments!

I just got off the phone with Sean, and he is building for me (next week by the way, but not like I can use it anytime soon)...

One metallic red 179 Oppenheimer Freecarve with the Olympic Core, but with his Freeride insert pattern, rather then the Freecarve insert pattern...

:D

Being 6'7" this extra set of inserts on the nose and tail will help me tune my stance.

Big fella...

What size boots are you rockin'?

What is your inseam and stance width?

Mondo 31s, 36" inseam, stance width until now.........has been MAX on each board I own. Probably anywhere from 19.5" - 22.0" and 22 is getting close to where I am most comfortable. But with the Freeride pattern I can go 26"!!! Not that I think I will...