Note to New Members ×

Deal of the year?

tex1230

now that we've hit the heart of summer, who got the best deal this year on equiptment?

I would have nominated myself for scoring a Lib Tech (powder board) for $100, but another one just like it showed up a few weeks later for $50 on one of my other forums.

What was your best deal this year?

I had to go and find some wax to put my new Donek away for the summer. Trying to find wax at this time of year is a bit of a mission. I dug some up at Ski Cellar (where I'd normally never go cos it's really expensive) - $20 for a block of bulk wax - the last one I bought at U of C was $7... and it's blue wax too, which means it'll be a pig to scrape come November.

well, i'm very happy about everything i bought this year but no real good deal to be very proud of. I bought my new head stratos pro with a 30% discount (early "end of season sales") and a 12% off as VAT refund as this year I bought all my gear with detax;) -- the bad side of detax is that you have to travel with what you bought and -eventually- may have to pay an overweight tax :(

Well, I bought quite a few boards last season...

2 Coocons came at very reasonable price, considering that one was new and other minty...

But I think that Generics IQ170 was the best: my buddy Pierre bought a Sword, and this Generics was always way too stif for his style. So, he gave it to me to ride, for indefinite period. I loved it so much that I decided to give him few bucks and proclaim the board really owned by me :D

Boris

I walked into a SportChek (Canadian equivalent of Sports Authority) in suburban Mississauga and found a Voile Split Decision amoungst all the Made in China kiddie boards. $999 price tag. I enquired as to what a backcountry board would be doing there and the manager shrugged her shoulders and admitted she didn't have a clue as to why the board was in her store. I offered her $80 which she quickly accepted. Score!

I walked into a SportChek (Canadian equivalent of Sports Authority) in suburban Mississauga and found a Voile Split Decision amoungst all the Made in China kiddie boards. $999 price tag. I enquired as to what a backcountry board would be doing there and the manager shrugged her shoulders and admitted she didn't have a clue as to why the board was in her store. I offered her $80 which she quickly accepted. Score!

Betcha I know---former employee ordered it to take advantage of wholesale v. retail issues....he leaves/gets fired prior to accepting receipt of board...

Board sits unclaimed, gets no price tag because it's not listed on their approved vendors list and they can't market it....

Now a store manager has a board taking up space when he's trying to gear up for summer season..

He has no idea where the board came from and no invoice or upper level communication telling him what to sell the board for...

And then you come in, and you know about the board, plus you want it...

He's thinking 80 buck pure profit.....

Dude!. I never find stuff like that in Sport Chek!

Oh you dog.

Dude!. I never find stuff like that in Sport Chek!

No kidding. The only reason I was in the store was because my kid had an orthodonist appointment in the mall. After I scored that board, any time I drove by another Sport Chek, I would stop and take a look in their snowboard department and ask the manager if he/she had any Voiles. Never happened so I think skatha is right about the employee order.