Note to New Members ×

I'm a wreck

tex1230

luckily, I rarely get hurt snowboarding...but I sure do have a tendency to hurt myself doing random things...

1995: tore my ACL, LCL, Meniscus rollerblading on the San Diego boardwalk...

1999: Herniated disc playing with my boss's kid...

2003: Tore my achilles tendon running to catch a train...

Sunday: Threw my back out playing with my son in the pool...

I should just snowboard every day of my life and I'd stay healthy forever

A) you must be bored... B) yes, you are a wreck... C) yes, you should snowboard for the rest of your days! 90% of my injuries are work related, so if I use this logic I need to never work again, snowboard as often as possible, and live to the ripe age of 100. Can I find a doc to give me a prescription for that?

most of my injuries (broken toes, fingers, and nose) have all been from playing games in gym or chasing my brother around

but then again I also broke my wrist 9 years ago when I was learning to board....since then I got gloves with built in wrist protectors -- sound lame but they work!!!! :( :biggthump

I've injured my knee and neck quite a few times in my sleep. The knee injury comes from sleeping on my side, and the neck injury from stretching in a weird way as I'm waking up.

I also once injured my lower back while brushing my teeth.

My most "extreme" sport (skateboarding) is the one that produces least injuries for me.

most of my injuries (broken toes, fingers, and nose) have all been from playing games in gym or chasing my brother around

but then again I also broke my wrist 9 years ago when I was learning to board....since then I got gloves with built in wrist protectors -- sound lame but they work!!!! :( :biggthump

I love my Burton Impact gloves...first off, they fit my stubby fingers perfectly, second, they are damned durable.....

gotta remember to punch the ground when you land on your hands, tho...rather than letting your fingers splay out...

They are the only Burton gear I will use...

Now if Burton only made ankle protectors and shoulder dislocation preventing devices, I'd be set....

ive been lucky lately *knocks on wood*

Nothing major from wrestling excepted qualifying for states, i had a blown back and couldn't tie my shoes. Worst pain in recent memory. My only other constant injury snowboarding is if i catch an edge and land weird. It leads to me blowing out my shoulders and i can't use my arms for about 5 minutes. Also happens when i get up weird after I fall. Bad shoulders.

oh and recently, my knee is killing me from probably over working it. Hair line fracture i believe. Orthopedic appoint is schedule in a few weeks. I'm gonna tr to get insurance to cover a custom foot bed too:rolleyes:

Alpine riders seems to be less prone to injury than regular snowboarders because we're so close to the ground. Thats a good thing.

Hmmmm...reminds me of a woman I worked with in the USAF....single, from Pittsburgh, PA, living in TX(which was the MOST awful thing in the world, according to her)....then she meets a man about 2 years in.....she quiets down a bunch....

He's a Neb. U fan and commutes from TX to Lincoln every Sat for football games...She goes, too...

One Monday, she can't stand up straight....seems like she threw her back out picking up a sock....

Yeah, we believe you........ :biggthump

Skatha,

How are the Burton Impact gloves designed to protect? I took a look at the Burton site, and there is no mention of the form of protection, just that they are "MD approved", (managing director perhaps?). Could you explain how the protection is built in?

I have been using "No Glomers" guards that slip over my glove, and I am hoping to find something more simple but just as protective. (I have broken my right wrist 3-4 times and now have an SST fusion, so I don't need to disturb my wrists any more!).

John

Skatha,

How are the Burton Impact gloves designed to protect? I took a look at the Burton site, and there is no mention of the form of protection, just that they are "MD approved", (managing director perhaps?). Could you explain how the protection is built in?

I have been using "No Glomers" guards that slip over my glove, and I am hoping to find something more simple but just as protective. (I have broken my right wrist 3-4 times and now have an SST fusion, so I don't need to disturb my wrists any more!).

John

I like 'em because there are rigid plastic supports on either side of the wrists-palm side and top of the hand side(palmar and dorsal) and a elastic strap that wraps around to hold it snugly to your wrist. I have the strap over stuff, too, which I used around my old mittens....very hard to get the second one on after I had placed the first one on...plus, the whole thing would shift if I actually fell on my hands.

The Impact gloves don't shift-there's a tension strap also at the base on the glove/hand assembly that you can adjust to keep the upper part of the glove snug against your hand

Thanks,

I have no particular problem with the strap over guards, except that they scoop up snow between the guard and the glove which then melts to help make the whole wet hand experience work! Also when I take the gloves off to go into the chalet or whatever, I often drop one!

I will have to try to find a pair of the Impact gloves to try on.

John

I have a pair of mittens (they also make gloves) with the wrist built in, between a liner and the actual mitten. They are made by "Level"

definitely worth it... havent broken my wrist again, and have taken a few nice falls with them

I cant find any wrist-guard gloves around my area... and i plan on riding at smugglers notch more this year. I always start on moorse mountain, and for those of you who have never been there the exit ramp from the lift is a 20 yard long drop. id say its about a 50 degree angle. every boarder alive falls off of that, and its all you can do to get out of the way of the next guy after you. after a day of it i was almost out for the season. the next day at madonna was much better, their was no steep hill off of the lift. but ever since then i have been looking for wrist guard gloves. Anyone know of a shop in NY that carries them?

The gloves im talking about i got online. Not sure where, but if you search them on google im sure something will come up

As for how they work: as i said the wrist guard is between the liner/shell, its basically just like a skateboarding wrist protector, but just with teh bottom half (so not the strap that wraps around, only the plastic sheet that goes along your palm/wrist). The way you strap it down is the same way you close the glove around the wrist ... by velcroing the glove, it tightens the protector to your wrist

hopefully that makes sense

I went by a Burton "coalition" shop for mine...the Burton website has an online posting of their dealers...

I got mine in person just because of my experience with Burton "sizing", and I wanted to be sure a small glove was small enough.....

Phil,

I am more than happy to buy from Bomber, but I can't see any reference to these gloves having built in wrist guard. How does the wrist protection in them work?

John

Follow the "Biomex" link. The Biomex wrist guards work really well.

If you go to the Level USA site, they talk more about it.

I will NOT wear wrist guards as too many people that I know have broken ribs by impacting wrist guards. Also I do not plant my hand when falling.

I've also seen pictures of people that the wrist guard ended up breaking their radius bone because thats where the wrist guard puts most of the impact into. The thing with that is, their arm will heal much faster than their wrist would've and its a less permanant injury because its less complex than your wrist.

Ive never heard of the ribs breaking thing though. I think wrist guards are a good investment. The chance that they'll help you is much greater than them not helping. Kind of like a seat belt. The odds of a seat belt saving you is much greater than harming you.

I've often heard people tell me they'd never wear seatbelts again, too, after I told them the seatbelt broke their collar bone in a wreck....Then I tell them the seatbelt breaking their collarbone was better than their dashboard breaking their face.....

Face it, some injuries are going to happen. I know from working in the ER during the rollerblade craze of the early 90's, that the wrist guards help prevent some gnarly Colles fractures-the "wavy" arm fractures you can see a mile away. And I've read that the guards just transmit the forces to another vulnerable bone, usually the collarbone. I'd take a collarbone fx to a Colles fx any day