Note to New Members ×

Perfect Mountain?

Buell

...Snowbasin and Powder Mt.

Like Skully said - each has its pros and cons. These areas are generally less crowded, plenty of mountain, varied terrain. I have yet to see a "crowded" day at Powder Mt - pretty cheap lift too!

Just travel an extra 30 min. north of SLC (Ogden area) and you have pretty quick (within 30 min or so) access to either mountain.

Just another perspective

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you want powder stashes...check this out: http://www.skijapan.com.au/reports.htm

pretty much unlimited powder all the time. The pictures are mind blowing.

SSSSHHHHHHH don't be showing that around!!!! just because people in the states haven't figured out that Japan has some of the best mountains in the world; think SLC type mountains with Jackson Hole/Big Sky type snow, perfect grooming off piste that's always open and hardly ever touched except by visiting gaijin doesn't mean that you have to show them their error. They do set up their lifts in a weird way (it's kinda hard to ride a mountain top to bottom because you end up riding 2-3 lifts to get to the top) but they also tuck lift/trails in corners so you can rail up and down a 400-600m drop all day with like 20 to 30 people and at lunch they re-groom. Snowfall is unreal in the northern part of the country (Hokaido) and even in Niigata during Jan/Feb. I once rode 5 days in a row on 3+ feet of fresh every day (groomed at 6am) Hokaido easily puts SLC to shame as far as conditions and beauty though the nightlife is really reduced. Also there is NOTHING like finishing a hard day of riding drinking beer (or Sake) in an Onsen (hotsprings club sortof) that has existed for 400-500 years.

Isn't Mammoth supposed to be pretty good too as far as terrain variety and crowds? Also, how about Whistler in BC, Canada? I have never been out west, I'm just throwing things out there.

For a honey moon, that would be perfect. i won't spread any more word about it:D

It would be a pretty expensive trip with just friends, until we all graduate. Maybe if I win the lottery in the next few years

:)

I think its to attract rich snobs... i dont know any who board, theyre all skiiers. Not that i have anything against skiiers, there are many cool guys who ski too. Just trying to think like a filthy rich big mountain resort owner.

I don't know about that. I mean those rich snob skiers have kids and they snowboard. No, I think Taos and Mad River started off with the snowboard ban just like every other resort, kept it a bit longer then everyone else because of sheer pig-headedness and then a light went on - "woah, we've got a differentiator here". So now they play it up. Hey, why not? I know people who go to Taos for this reason.

As for Gleb's "why not Whistler" question, I can answer that. The weather. I've been to Whistler eight times. On four of those trips, it rained.

Big sky has everything you want except people on hardboots. A busy day has 5000 skiers and usually a daily tally of around 2500 people spread out over 3500 acres. With the new Lone peak pass you add Moonlight to the mix and you have huge terrain options.

big sky or big mountain are defintly one of my prime spots for spring break next year. It looks like your options are pretty wide. Come to massachusetts and we have Wachusett Mt along with several others. Wachusett has a wopping 1000 feet and barely got any natural snow this year. SWEET!

honeymoon- Id think vail it has shopping that even my wife enjoyed..that was a hoot in the back bowls on my soft boots. I think I was sick for 3 days from the altitude though..

thats why I'm gonna find a girl that loves snowboarding as much as I do:1luvu:

Hokkaido is truely a winter wonderland, site of the Sapporo Oylmpics, Sapporo beer (great place to take a tour ;) ) and all that. I never got to ride there due to Navy obligations but friends did and raved about the powder 3-5 feet a night for a week with only one day not bluebird sky's. Definatly a place for a powder board. I did go in the summer and had a blast hiking and climbing during the day drinking Sapporo Summer Special at night while lounging in an Onsen. Mostly I rode in Niigata which is north of Nagano though a shorter drive from Tokyo/Yokohama than Nagano (the slum of the Japanese alps) due to the hiway and bullet train (Nagano is only served by a local train which is slow and stops everywhere. I hear Nagano has better Onsens though I was happy whereever I soaked. I did ride a few times in Nagano once at Happo the site of the Downhill and skijump (nice mountain with a great pork cutlet curry :) ) but the rest of the times I wasn't impressed. There were a number of mountains in Niigata that I frequented which were awesome. Mt Naeba during a blizzard was incredible they shutdown the lift every 2 hours to groom which was needed since we had over 3 feet in 6 hours and what ended up being 5-6 feet that day (it was my first day on my RC175 so I was greatful) . But my all time favorite was Ishiuchi Maruyama and Gala Yuzawa which shared a peak. For $48 a day you could ride both mountains just as long as you ended up in Ishiuchi at the end of the day. No lodging at Gala Yuzawa but that was the location of the train station so the smart guy took the train to Gala Yuzawa bought a joint ticket rode over the mountain to Ishiuchi and check into his hotel. Rode however many days then checked his bag in the AM of the last day at Gala Yuzawa and rode the day out there. A 3000ci backpack is enough to live for 3-5 days :eplus2: BTW rentalcars are a no go in japan due to lack of parking and more important road tolls. I rented a car on base for a trip once and if I hadn't had toll tickets I would have spent over $300 just on tolls :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The train system more than makes up for it though :ices_ange

I don't know about that. I mean those rich snob skiers have kids and they snowboard. No, I think Taos and Mad River started off with the snowboard ban just like every other resort, kept it a bit longer then everyone else because of sheer pig-headedness and then a light went on - "woah, we've got a differentiator here". So now they play it up. Hey, why not? I know people who go to Taos for this reason.QUOTE]

not sure about alta, but mad river glen is and will always be boarder free. back in the early 80's a snowboarder basically told the owner of mad river glen where she could go, and she swore from that day that snowboarders would never be allowd.

if you're looking at CO, i agree with the Aspen crowd, head there. you get 4 mountains and dont have to deal with as many idiots as you would in Summit county.

beaver creek is also nice, and nice grooming, and tends to be less crowded than the other vail resorts.

Isn't Mammoth supposed to be pretty good too as far as terrain variety and crowds? ...

The grooming at Mammoth sucks. The terrain variety is good. But the crowds really suck on the weekends.

It's fairly uncrowded on the weekdays, except after a big powder dump and good weather is forecasted. Then plenty of people from So Cal will take the day off. I've never seen an uncrowded powder day at Mammoth.

June is great for carving, but I wouldn't recommend it for a 2 month vacation. Not enough variety, plus June is only suppose to operate 4 days a week next season.

I'd vote for CO. Plenty of variety and much less crowded than Mammoth.

Another consideration as you'll be there two months is the town and accomodations. Will you have a car? Do you care about access to entertainment, shopping, that sort of thing? Is it OK to drive or take a bus every day to the hill? Do you want access to any other hills, even though you have a season's pass?

If the answer to all those questions is yes, then maybe Banff would be for you. The town has lots of restaurants, a movie theatre, grocery and liquor stores, night clubs, shopping, everything you need. Sunshine is 20 minutes and a 15 minute gondola ride away, Louise is 45 minutes. Calgary is a little more than an hour for those days off. The skiing is truly world-class with everything you want, but you may be at risk for a bad snow year.

If the answer to them all is no, consider someplace like Big White, where you can shuttle in from the airport and then park at your condo the whole time. The village has 8 or 10 restaurants and a small grocery store. If you get stir-crazy, Kelowna is about 50 minutes away. Silverstar and Apex are within 2 hours if you need a change of terrain. The skiing is mellower than the Banff resorts but the snow is more certain and if you are only learning to carve the terrain is plenty steep for that.

Neil, we will drive from Oregon, so we'll have a vehicle. Nightlife and shopping are of low importance to us (hey, its 8:30 Friday night), but a small town nearby with decent food would be helpful. I know Fernie has a pass with Kimberly, and Louise but as you mentioned, my impression is that the snow is a bit unpredictable. Sunshine looks like a great mountain and Kicking Horse sounds wonderful - though not for carving.

I just read that dogs are prohibited in Little and Big Cottonwood Canyons to protect SLC's drinking water supply. Wow! Poor Fido!

The big Western Canadian mountains I've been to are Sunshine, Lake Louise, Fernie, Whistler, Big White and Silver Star. I pick Sunshine as my favourite of all of these. Tons of terrain and most of it above-the-treeline bowls. The grooming was excellent and snow plentiful.

If I were to pick a perfect Canadian destination, it would be Banff where you can ski/ride the Big Three - Sunshine, Louise and Norquay.

http://www.skibig3.com/

Taos, Deer Valley, Alta-ski only western resorts....

Hah, it's their loss....my skiing daughter will end up visiting none of them and she's their planned, idealized future customer....

You know, it's funny....one of the crowd participation games at the Texans home games last season was a ski race between a cheerleader, football player and team mascot on the Diamondvision-computer generated of course-and sponsored by the Alberta ski industry. 3 people were picked, each picked a representative skier/rider(Toro, the mascot always was the snowboarder) and the character that won the race, the person who selected it won the ski trip for 2....Got Sam and me, and alot of people, thinking about Alberta

Im so glad no one has mentioned uhhh nnaan ..no crowds ! deep snow awesome groom....

Go to Aspen! and Tahoe..... ;)

come on shred I think we should tell them. I don't think it hurts to have more carver's on the hill. They just have to swear that they won't bring any skiers or jibbers with them.:eplus2: