Note to New Members ×

Perfect Mountain?

Buell

Hello everyone. First post, but I think I have already read everything written on Bomber (lurk, lurk). Thanks for all the information and opinions.

Next season the GF and I will be learning to carve! We have Jan/Feb off and want to get a pass to a great mountain out west (US or Canada). We are after great carving, steeps, trees, powder, and the fewer people the better (weekends excepted). In other words, the perfect mountain. :D

Currently under consideration: Big Mountain, Big Sky, SLC area (Solitude, Brighton, others), Schweitzer, Fernie .......

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks, Buell

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im an east coast guy, but i hear the salt lake city area of Utah is pretty nice. "on paper", it seems the way to go. Great powder, big mountains, and far enough away from the Colorado crowds. Snowbird and The Canyons seem nice, but youd have to wait for a response from people who go there often.

PS, Alta is out: no snowboarding allowed (get with the times, people!:smashfrea )

Buell,

Go to the Lake Tahoe area. Lot's of slopes to choose from. Lot's of

Sun.

Kirkwood, Homewood (oops! secret), Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, etc.

At Kirkwood you will very likely meet several other Carvers. Go to Tahoecarvers.com to arrange Carving meetings.

Bricky

The Canyons have bad karma, or I have bad karma there...I broke my ankle and dislocated my shoulder there....

The snow was bad both times I went....

Tahoe would be the way to go...first off, flying into Reno and taking the shuttle is the way to go. It's tons cheaper than the shuttles out of SLC and more reliable, too. We rented a car at SLC last trip because the resort shuttle never came back to get us at The Canyons the first time we went.

The nightlife is better at Tahoe. Yes, there's a free shuttle at Park City but I thought the atmosphere there was kinda forced, like an Aspen wannabe.

Solitude and Brighton are south of SLC in Big Cottonwood Canyon and not near Park City. I do want to visit Solitude but I think Utah hates me at this juncture of my life. I don't really know much about the accomodations there other than the resort(Solitude) has some restaurants and lodging.

Tahoe has a bunch of resorts there at the lake, including, kinda, one just out of Reno called Mt. Rose. We have visited Heavenly a bunch of times and other than one truly flat run called Skyline Trail that links the CA side to the NV side, it's a nice resort with some really wide runs. It do get crowded on the weekend with the Bay Area people(all of them) coming to visit and, between dumps, you get a phenomena called Sierra Cement-the snow tend to be copious and fairly wet and icy if it hasn't snowed recently. Heavenly is trying to fix that with grooming throughout the day, but we didn't have a chance to check it out this year due to my husband's broken leg.

For the karma purists, I do know there's no "bad" karma or "good" karma, just karma.....

As for Utah hating me, I also have a horrible experience from summer vacation in Vernal in 2005

Thanks for the replies.

My biggest concerns about the Tahoe and SLC areas are the crowds. They both sound like great areas though. Is it possible to avoid the powder frenzies?

Mike, we have ridden Bachelor 3 times, all in white out conditions, but we definitely want to try the groomers for carving. The steeps are for powder days (for now). Could we catch up with you next year after we get our carving gear? It would be great to get a few pointers in exchange for some laughs for you.

Bricky, I'll check out tahoecarvers - thanks!

If you decide on Tahoe, check out the California Gold Pass. You have to do a lot of riding at a lot of resorts in California, but its an awesome deal if you can get in 60+ days, the cost per day gets down to $40.

Here's a list of the areas where it is valid:

Alpine Meadows Ski Resort

Bear Mountain Resort

Bear Valley Cross-Country

Bear Valley Mountain Resort

Boreal Mountain Resort

Diamond Peak Ski Resort

Dodge Ridge Cross-Country

Dodge Ridge Wintersports Area

Heavenly Mountain Resort

Homewood Mountain Resort

June Mountain

Kirkwood Cross-Country

Kirkwood Mountain Resort

Mammoth Mountain Ski Area

Montecito-Sequoia Lodge

Mountain High Resort

Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe

Mt. Shasta Board and Ski Park

Mt. Shasta Cross-Country

Northstar-at-Tahoe

Northstar-at-Tahoe Cross-Country

Royal Gorge Ski Resort

Sequoia National Park

Sierra Summit Mountain Resort

Sierra-at-Tahoe Snowsports Resort

Snow Summit Mountain Resort

Snow Valley Mountain Sports Park

Soda Springs Winter Resort

Squaw Valley USA

Sugar Bowl Ski Resort

Tahoe Cross-Country Ski Area

Tahoe Donner Cross-Country

Tahoe Donner Downhill Ski Area

Tamarack Lodge & Resort

Yosemite's Badger Pass

Yosemite's Badger Pass Cross-Country

That's basically every ski area in California (I think you are limited to 15 days/season at Squaw, but all the others are unlimited).

Link to CA Gold Pass

I think its to attract rich snobs... i dont know any who board, theyre all skiiers. Not that i have anything against skiiers, there are many cool guys who ski too. Just trying to think like a filthy rich big mountain resort owner.

they actually have that mountain co-op'd.... cost you $7000 to be a part owner... I mean I scream when I have to pay for my ski clubs $12 discount tuesday night special tickets at the local mole hill ... lol

you are right all the bankers I deal with on a daily basis all ski... when I ask them if they want to go riding with me they all thumb their noses at me.

I was ready to hop on a plane with a bunch of them to aspen but I think they nixed me cause I dont ski. (I never got the invitation... :angryfire )

I think its funny actually.

Next year Im actually going to host a ski party for my clients. I wonder how many show up :rolleyes:

Everyone that works at my office rides now, heheh.. I think the boards that I leave in my cubical have something to do with it or they dont want to score brownie points with the boss.

Mike, we have ridden Bachelor 3 times, all in white out conditions, but we definitely want to try the groomers for carving. The steeps are for powder days (for now). Could we catch up with you next year after we get our carving gear? It would be great to get a few pointers in exchange for some laughs for you.

Absolutely! There's a pretty good sized carving crew at Bachelor, includes a few others from Eugene. I am alwys into meeting new carvers, helping where I can, etc. There are some Bachelor riders who are much more skilled than myself, a couple of whom are private instructors. Look under the Instructor Search section for contact info.

skatha is right it does have bad karma(kind of for me) If i were you i would hold off on the canyons( i dont know about the other park city area resorts) for a year or tow becuase they are adding lifts becuase it its such a pain to get to the other side of the mountain. I love love love vail! Summit county(Keystone,breck,A-basin are one ticket copper is seprate) has good beginer carve runs like no other place.

I really liked the Canyons. It has a lot of terrain, and with a little work it's easy to get away from the crowds. It also has some of the best glades I have ever ridden. I think a really good trail to learn on would be Alpinglow, all the way over on the left. You have to go through three lifts to get to it. It has a good slope, wide, is never crowded, and the very bottom is a series of roller coaster cat tracks.

I didn't really like the Park City resort at all. It honestly seemed kinda boring to me, and was quit crowded. However, I do give it props for having a trail named "Glory Hole".

My biggest concerns about the Tahoe and SLC areas are the crowds. They both sound like great areas though. Is it possible to avoid the powder frenzies?

If you're looking to get away from crowds, then SLC would probably be better than Tahoe. Weekdays at most Utah resorts are dead (except during holiday periods - Christmas, Pres. day, etc.), and some weekends can be that way too, you just gotta know where to go at the resorts to avoid the crowds.

As far as avoiding powder frenzies, once again, you just have to know where to go. The only "real" way to avoid a powder frenzy at the neighboring SLC resorts is to stay up one of the cottonwood canyons (Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, Brighton) during a big storm, where the road doesn't get opened up until later in the day due to avalanche control, etc. Then the only people you have to share the pow with are those that stayed at the resorts. Everyone else has to wait until later in the day when the roads open up... But, once again, spend enough time with the locals, and you'll know where to go to avoid the crowds, and you'll be able to find powder stashes days after storms.

Oh... And I can't think of anywhere I've ridden that I would call "perfect". Each mountain has it's advantages and disadvantages. Come to think of it, I like it that way though. Variety ain't a bad thing.

I really liked the Canyons. It has a lot of terrain, and with a little work it's easy to get away from the crowds. It also has some of the best glades I have ever ridden. I think a really good trail to learn on would be Alpinglow, all the way over on the left. You have to go through three lifts to get to it. It has a good slope, wide, is never crowded, and the very bottom is a series of roller coaster cat tracks.

I didn't really like the Park City resort at all. It honestly seemed kinda boring to me, and was quit crowded. However, I do give it props for having a trail named "Glory Hole".

Including the ultimate hell cat-track called ripsaw-5 feet wide, rocks on one side and a rocky dropoff on the other-plus a deep gouge in the middle in Feb 2005!. The condo side of the Canyons has alot of over/under passes that disrupt the flow...lots of ice if the snow is bad.....

The Park City resort comes right into town...Nice with Sun King at Jackson, weird at Park City...

When we were at PC last weekend, they'd just had this mongo dump that closed the road into Little Cottonwood Canyon, and stranded a bunch of skiers at Alta....everybody slept on the floor, but then had the resort to themselves before the road opened up....

Someday that'll happen to me and I hope to be at Kirkwood when it does :biggthump

Thanks for the additional replies.

Skully, you nailed it. Decisions, Decisions. Ultimately, I've never had a bad day of riding on any mountain and every mountain has its unique personality.

I would love to try all the mountains, but buying a season pass is much easier on the budget. Eventually we will learn some of the secrets.

Japan? Sounds perfect, maybe when I can afford to spend all of our summer in New Zealand I will spend all winter in Japan. Well, maybe I'll just live year round in NZ.

Man Shred, don't give up that mountain!!! Is that in Montana?

Anxiously awaiting a big storm tonight. Sorry for all those with closed mountains.

if its a good snow year, I dont think you can go wrong in any of the places mentioned.

Tahoe has multiple hills for your choosing. Summit County has god stuff but some say limited on steeps. Aspen area has multiple hills but it STUPID expensive

you mentioned montana:

if you stay in the bozeman area you get Bridger Bowl (more freeride oriented), Big Sky (HUUUUGE), and Moonlight Basin. Moonlight is, I am told, still pretty affordable...

Buell

for season pass cheapness, and multiple mountains all in the same area, summit county wins the contest, hands down:

https://onestore.snow.com/index.asp

Keystone, Breck, A-Basin pass (I believe with days at Vail, too) is about $350 at the start of the season.

Copper pass is about $300. Loveland Basin about the same (?) so for the same approximately $1000 youd spend at other places, you get FIVE hills.

I cant see anywhere else really beating that.