Note to New Members ×

Ski Dubai

patmoore

Anyone ever done it?  I'm spending a couple of days there in August and will try it out.  The admission price includes snowboard, parka, helmet, etc.  I can't imagine they have alpine boards but I though't I'd ask.  

In the same mall they have an attraction where you can scuba dive with sharks.  I'm definitely signing up for that experience too.

its pretty much a bigger version of what i ride in, unless they strip the snow and replace it regularly which they probably dont youll find it very granular and almost sand like if you dont ride first thing in the morning when its freshly groomed. Also chances are the mental rental equipment will either be rosie or aunt sally and pretty terrible(my dome dont sharpen or wax there rentals so its easier on beginners and cheaper on servicing) again unless its new and maintained. Have fun mate just dont expect great things lol

take gloves, socks and maybe a hat. set your expectations low and you'll have a fun time, it's only 400m long - they're building a 1.2km long one elsewhere. the rental gear will probably be average to good, given the outrageously OTT market they're catering for.

Here is my write up from a previous post

So I traveled to Uganda this summer and spent 2 days in Dubai. Well if you love the snow you have to go right? Well I did. To start the equipment is horrible, I know it has been a while since a dawned soft boots but wow noodle is a word. 

If you are a germaphobe you should dress warm and avoid the rental clothes. It is like pulling a bowling shoe over your body. But the experience is great. It was 115 deg. outside and 25 deg. inside. Quit a thermo engineering marvel.

Edited October 6, 2018 by snowwjob1 
Spelling

Ok for novelty for half a day at the most, but pretty small and a bit dull.  The best thing in Dubai are the Michelin level restaurants which are all over, trip to the dunes maybe, sailing if it isn't too hot, renting and driving Exotic cars and taking in the man-made buildings and terraforming for places like the Palms which is on a huge scale.  

• 3 months later...

Okay, we're back.  The trip was memorable with three safaris in Zimbabwe and Botswana.  Three days in Dubai weren't enough.

I did put together a Dubai travel video with a fair amount of footage from Ski Dubai.  The  snow conditions were actually pretty good.  The rental board I got was marginal.  Would love to have had my Kessler or Madd with me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pmorita said:

Welcome back Pat.  

How much was an indoor session at Ski Dubai?

$57 got you two hours of slope time, rental gear, lift pass, and all the clothes you need including disposable socks.   They normally don't provide gloves but gave them to us anyway.  It was fun.

18 hours ago, patmoore said:

$57 got you two hours of slope time, rental gear, lift pass, and all the clothes you need including disposable socks.   They normally don't provide gloves but gave them to us anyway.  It was fun.

my local slope is about $140 for a months pass where i can ride as much as i want though it is about a third of the size.

Edited by scottishsurfer

Forgot to mention that I tried sandboarding on the dunes.  They wouldn't let me strap in so I couldn't make any turns.  I had watched the video three times before I noticed the girl on the right. 😲   Go to the 5:38 mark on the video....

My shark dive is at 7:00

Edited by patmoore