Note to New Members ×

Anyone remember "Snowboard Life" magazine?

crucible

I was going through my old and dog-eared copies of Snowboard Life magazine today and I was struck at how balanced the coverage was between alpine carving and freeriding. How to tips on carving, informative reviews on carving equipment, even showing riders like Tom Routh, Mark Fawcett and Sanders Nye ripping though the backcountry on their race decks...

Those three years from 1997-1999 when transworld was publishing this magazine were the highpoint of snowboard magazine editorial content for me.

Even Snowboard Journal doesn't come close to the value for money.

Guest sierra

"Snowboard Life" was the best. I used to look forward to the board reviews all summer. They were the only mag to offer tech articles as well. The editor, Kurt Hoy, was a hardboot rider/racer back in the day. Now he is the editor of one of the freestyle mags (Snowboarder?).

Guest James Pryor

Yeah looked forward to seeing pics of hardbooters laying it over! James C. was great and at 39 had the same stoke I had at 19 looking at Surfer Mag. Going to hit up Mom to start a new carver magazine over Easter, she has the funds to easily get this started up. Loved seeing pics like Dave T.from Tahoe really raising the bar and if you know who this is, Kevin T. a colored rider who really was such a athletic rider/carver and just a great person who was one of many who made the first Pure Carve X-Session in 99 a success.Will never forget how Cliff A. had runs roped off for us and just not at B-Milk but also at Snowmass. Yeah I guess this might be my calling. We need another mag showing that why ride a Cessna when you can ride a F15. nuff said.....jp

Guest James Pryor

Back in 77' heard another surfer yelling this to me at Sunset Beach Oahu and it ended up being one of those rides you never forget. Swell out of the West about 12ft. and if you have ever surfed there just an incredible drop and phenomenal tapered wall. Have been thinking about a serious mag for serious riders for years. Yes it would showcase carving but also big mountain riding that is not all "No Fall Zone" meet your maker athleticism. Many of us out there are chomping at the bit to get some serious riding in but don't want our loved ones to cash in on the insurance policies quite yet!! Of course travel, fitness, rider profiles and environmental issues as in any world class mag. would be addressed. But travel would be a highlight of this mag. As you all know riding a great new resort/piste is just the best high in this sport, "next to that perfect heelside, throwing tons of spray in front of your friends!!" This is going to take some time and of course major effort. Missed out on the brewpub in Breck. Dad didn't believe that the surf resort my best friend and I were planning in Fiji was a good idea. Boy was that a "sorry son you had a great idea" issue. By the way the best friend did just fine with this small island we surfed in the early 80's called Tavarua. Anyway we do need a mag devoted to laying it over and our lifestyle and I will pursue this over the Spring/Summer. Oh Bear was good this morning for about two hours, great corn. jp

Guest stoked

I so dig surf style in snowboarding at least I feel fine playing around with that on the slope (there is a site http://www.surfacemotion.com about surf style on the streets btw) and I also think that this relation between surfing and carving wouldn't hurt the effort of presenting alpine as a cool way of riding after all no surfer is regarded as lame just because he spends his time out there without doing a lot of tricks - doesn't that get boring without doing tricks? :biggthump

as for my almost not existing actual surfing experience someone captured a perfect day by saying 'yeah you just wanna stay and play' and that's how the 'Stay and Play' section of stoked.at got its name

as for my almost not existing actual surfing experience someone captured a perfect day by saying 'yeah you just wanna stay and play' and that's how the 'Stay and Play' section of stoked.at got its name

I thought you were quoting Sir Mix-a-Lot...

"some brothers want to hit it and quit it, but I'd rather stay and play"

-"Baby Got Back"

Yeah looked forward to seeing pics of hardbooters laying it over! James C. was great and at 39 had the same stoke I had at 19 looking at Surfer Mag. Going to hit up Mom to start a new carver magazine over Easter, she has the funds to easily get this started up.

I actually got published in there a couple of times. Good mag. If you are serious about starting something again let me know. I would love to be in on the ground floor of this. I was Sports editor for a newspaper for a while. 25 year photog, tons of layout and design experience. Not asking for a job, just a chance to help make something really cool.

i had every issue of that mag. i loved it. read them over and over again. then a few years back i was cleaning out my life, you know..downsizing...trying not to collect too much material stuff, and i threw them all out. i have regretted that ever since.

Hey-dog

Do you do movies (hint, hint) haven't seen anything yet from our chalk trenching convention this year.

Steve gave me two copies. One goes to Ken 'cause he threw down and extra $20 for the video. I have been trying to get it into some form of editable DV, with not much success. So as soon as I can re-import the goods I will try to post a clip.

On another note we have still have full on winter conditions on top. I have been out the last two mornings just having one. This AM I ran into Steve and shot some more. Should be good. Bluebird, not too many folks around and winter snow to the mid mountain. So no more threadjack but check back when you have a chance.

Guest softbooter

Indeed!

I bought only one issue back in 1997, but I was pretty impressed with the content. A bit more than a one page interview with your favorite pro, etc. The only thing that comes close these days is Frequency and Snowboard Journal.