Note to New Members ×

Boneheads-R-Us

tex1230

So Saturday Morning I went out and bought a new longboard - Gravity 47"

took it out for an hour or so to remember the feel of skating, haven't done it in a year or so.

Sunday morning I took my son out to a local parking lot and was following him around...

thinking I was going to be going really slow and there was

NO WAY I was going to fall...I left the pads at home.

Big Mistake.

My son was skating in front of me, stopped short, and I had a choice of hitting him, hitting a tree / curb, or hitting asphalt.

I chose the asphalt and it won.

I wear my helmet, wrist guards and elbow pads....but the knee pads are reallly itchy(remember it's usually 95 degrees when I go) and I'm not using them

Okay? not okay?

I landed hard on my knee while riding a few weeks ago and started rethinking my decision and remembering how bad scraped up knees feel

I wear my helmet, wrist guards and elbow pads....but the knee pads are reallly itchy(remember it's usually 95 degrees when I go) and I'm not using them

Okay? not okay?

I landed hard on my knee while riding a few weeks ago and started rethinking my decision and remembering how bad scraped up knees feel

All I know is... after seeing my wife deal with patella tendonitis for two years after slamming her knee on ice while snowboarding, knee pads are a no-brainer for me. Especially given that I have a mild case of it now, just from all the riding I did in February!

I haven't been back on my long board since my $50k shoulder reconstruction about 4 years ago. Don't get me wrong they are extremely fun but pavement is extremely unforgiving.

Think Snow

Thats the reason i like snow and water sports alot more.

All I know is... after seeing my wife deal with patella tendonitis for two years after slamming her knee on ice while snowboarding, knee pads are a no-brainer for me. Especially given that I have a mild case of it now, just from all the riding I did in February!

I hear you-I landed on the inside part of mine, just have a bad bruise, still....

And I hadn't packed my kneepads cause I hadn't fallen in 2 years...got 'em in the bag now, tho......

I'll guess I'll start wearing 'em again to longboard...yes, I look like a dweeb, but then again, the other ladies in the neighborhood like to play bunco instead, so I'm out on the fashion limb anyway.... :biggthump

The last time I skateboarded (many years ago), I was wearing all the gear - knees, elbows, helmet, except, for some reason, I wasn't wearing shoes. :smashfrea

I came off the board over a little concrete water ditch, the edge of which neatly separated the sole of my foot from the rest of it, to just under my toes.

I had to ride home, too, pouring blood and with half my foot hanging off. My mother nearly fainted ... and I stuck to rollerskating after that.

The last time I skateboarded (many years ago), I was wearing all the gear - knees, elbows, helmet, except, for some reason, I wasn't wearing shoes. :smashfrea

I came off the board over a little concrete water ditch, the edge of which neatly separated the sole of my foot from the rest of it, to just under my toes.

I had to ride home, too, pouring blood and with half my foot hanging off. My mother nearly fainted ... and I stuck to rollerskating after that.

YUCK...a foot "scalping"....

You know, it's funny....I ice skate just fine and I skateboard okay, but my rollerblades on concrete just gives me the willies....can't explain it, but I'm not comfortable on them in the street. In a rink, okay...but I don't go out of my way to go to a roller rink

I wouldn't recommend a carveboard with a kite.

They are definitely fun to go down huge hills with, but you have to keep turning. Whenever you pick up even the least amount of speed, they wobble more than a buoy in a storm.

You may be able to get super stiff springs, but even then the more speed you have the more wobble you'll get.

It's still a killer board for mellow or steep grades.