Note to New Members ×

Soliciting opinions for board length

Guest Valerie in Utah

Guest Valerie in Utah

I just got started carving this year with a Donek FC 171. Although this was a great board to start with, I'm feeling like I should have bought a longer board.

I've decided my next purchase will be a racing board; I'd like to try and train and get into some local races. What length racing board would you recommend? I'm female, 5'11" and nearly 160 lbs.

I don't have the cash to keep buying new boards every year, so I want to buy the correct length that I can hang onto for a while. I'm currently checking out the end of season sales online. I know there's not ONE right answer, but I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

[and will also take suggestions on end-of-season deals on racing boards]

I am also going to suggest focusing on sidecut rather than length. For example, an Oxygen Proton 172, which has a 14m sidecut, might work out well for GS. (I assume you're talking about GS, since you said the board felt too short). Your FC 171 has a 11.2m sidecut - too short for serious GS; I have the 175 (11.75m) and rode it in my forst race ever this year and it felt too slow at the bottom of the course, I would have liked something faster.

At 160 pounds you pretty can ride a wide variety of boards - if you're looking for something less expensive you'll have plenty to pick from just by watching the classifieds. If you want to go new, Donek and Coiler and Prior offer plenty of choices.

you might as well get a Prior or Donek, no will be able to tell you what their boards are meant to handle better than they can

I would shoot for a 14m or so radius for GS, length I don't think is as important

could be wrong though