Note to New Members ×

Donek Incline vs Madd BX

Michael_A

Has anyone rode both these boards and can over a comparison? I'm moving up from a plates on a freeride board and have heard great things about both. With my big feet (Mondo 30) small home Mtn (Crotched Mtn, NH) and 2 kids in tow I'm not ready for a dedicated alpine deck. Both these seem like a good choice for plates, though especially as I am liking lower (45-50) angles.

168 Incline -- 135 edge length -- 10.3 side cut -- 24 waist

169 Madd BX -- 138 edge length -- 9.2 side cut -- 24 waist

Thanks,

Michael

Has anyone rode both these boards and can over a comparison? I'm moving up from a plates on a freeride board and have heard great things about both. With my big feet (Mondo 30) small home Mtn (Crotched Mtn, NH) and 2 kids in tow I'm not ready for a dedicated alpine deck. Both these seem like a good choice for plates, though especially as I am liking lower (45-50) angles.

168 Incline -- 135 edge length -- 10.3 side cut -- 24 waist

169 Madd BX -- 138 edge length -- 9.2 side cut -- 24 waist

Thanks,

Michael

I haven't ridden those two models and lengths, but I have ridden a couple of freestyle/freeride/alpine boards from both Madd and Donek. Personally I've been starting to really favor the Madds over the Doneks. I'm a lighter ridder (150 lbs) and I prefer a more damp ride, especially in cruddy, choppy, bumpy snow... so I like the damper ride of the Madds. The Donek give you a great feel for the snow... but if you hit a cache of death cookies, you feel it as well... Also being, a lighter rider... I like the more mellow flex of the Madds... they are very easy to manuever at slower speeds and yet still feel pretty stable at higher speeds. The Doneks are still pretty manueverable... but with the Incline if you are trying to swing turns between trees, it's really a workout. Both have great edgehold. Both like to go fast, although if you get the race base on the Madds, they go *really* fast. A third option is the Rad Air Reto 164. It is somewhere between a Madd and an Incline in terms of dampness and stiffness (10.25m SCR, 24 cm waist), has amazing edgehold, fast base, and really likes to go fast. Basically the only place you can get them is at exoticboards.com.

A Thread on Incline vs Madd BX (gets sidetracked quickly)

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=6156&highlight=Madd+BX

A review of Madd BX by Shred Grummer

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=5031&highlight=Madd+BX

A review of Reto 164 by Shred Grummer

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=9219

Never ridden a Madd BX, but their alpine decks are world famous for being really lively and poppy.
Yea, I took a moment to think about how to describe it - I use liveliness to describe how the board reacts to the snow... the Madd can carve on ice and if you were to close your eyes and plug up your ears, you wouldn't really notice it in your feet... whereas the Doneks engage different types of snow differently and you know you are gripping and railing across ice. I see poppy-ness (or spring-ness) as how the board reacts to the rider's input and is kind of orthogonal to dampness. So the Madd is damp in that you could be riding frozen slop or soft snowy rutts and you won't feel that chatter in your feet, yet also springy as you can load it up and it will snapback and pop you into the air (ollies and air edge-transition).

I've ridden the Donek Incline 155, Phoenix 155, and Freecarve 163 and the Madd 152 (circa 1995), 170, and TwinTip 158.

Guest claudio
If you're looking to be at 45-50 degree angles, maybe you should consider the Prior ATV, especially if you're looking in the Madd price range. The Inclines are considerably cheaper if that's a concern.

I have an ATV 167 and ride with 45/42 angles front and back. Width is 23.5 My boots are Mondo 28.5 if that helps at all. ATV is a blast!

Guest kennyusmc

claudio,

Are you maxed on your stance width (using the first and last insert ) ? I never tried riding it that wide... I had it set at around 21. How do you like the cateks ? I went into plates this season and this was the perfect transition board ........into a hard setup

Michael,

email me and we might be able to work something out to get you on a Madd BX. If not this year, definitely next. I've ridden them with both plates and softies. I prefer the plates, but it was a blast to rip around on with the catek freerides as well. great on ice, great in the crud, just an all around fun board. And the new Texalium boards are even more fun! :biggthump

Steve

Guest claudio
claudio,

Are you maxed on yur width (using the first and last insert ) ? I never tried riding it that wide... I had it set at around 21. How do you like the cateks ? I went into plates this season and this was the perfect transition board ........into a hard setup

Sorry, I wasn't clear: by "width", I meant the width of the board. My stance is about 21.5 apart (1 space forward on the front and 1 space back on the rear from the mid-points of the bindings). I love the cateks.

Guest sierra

The nose and tail are very soft but the board is very stiff along the carbon butterfly. It feels like I'm not really flexing the board much between the feet (I weigh 180) but the nose is soft and the tail pops quite easily.

You guys are right about the flex on the carbon wing version. Next season there will be an option with a Texalium topsheet. The Texalium is a fiberglass weave that is infused with aluminium particles. It is a little softer than the carbon fiber model, but has a very nice even flex, and is incredibly damp. There will be more info about it up on the Madd site soon. Everyone who rode it at the ECES loved it, and it was also very popular with a bunch of collegiate BX racers. One even gave up riding his Burton T6 to ride the Madd on race day. There will also be a shorter version in a 163.

d_b,

You're the Dave I met at Mammoth at that impromptu ES over at June back in January right?

We'll have Madd demos at SNES in April. I hope to see you there. I spoke to Madd Mike yesterday and we will have CF BX's there, and possibly the Texalium version.

sfleck, you're Steve Fleck right? Mike mentioned that you may be at Nationals, and might be able to help with demo transportation down from Tahoe to Mammoth. Are you going to be able to attend our event?

Steve thanks but I'm on the left coast! Hey nekdut, I think I met you that day? No I cant make the SNES I have a previous engagement...that sucks, It sounds like its going to be a good time....Ill be there this fri and sat? :D

Guest sierra

Steve has my attention regarding the new version with the Texapalooza top sheet. Personally, I might prefer a slightly softer, more evenly flexing BX. If I can find out a little more about it, I would consider putting my 168 CF up for sale, seeing as this season is almost in the crapper ("crappa" for those in New England). :(