Note to New Members ×

? Bamboo cores

surfinsmiley

I just recieved my lastest copy of Concrete Wave (Longboarding/Skateboarding magazine) and I noticed that there are now at least three companies offering bamboo longboards.

The advertising hype goes along the lines of, stronger than steel per weight, out lasts carbon fibre, more rebound/flex than wood and such claims that, like any new latest and greatest, makes it sound like the best thing ever.

Jeez, next thing you know there will be titanal longboards.:rolleyes:

Anyway, to the point, has there ever been bamboo snowboards?

Is there any reason why not?

Having lived in South East Asia for a long time now I`m always amazed at the way they use bamboo to build just about anything, it seems like a very versitile substance.

There is a surfboard company in Australia that builds boards with mat woven from bamboo and I can atest to the longevity and strength of that stuff.

Any thoughts on the use of bamboo as a core for snowboards or even as a mat for a substitute to fibreglass.

http://www.extremeprosports.com/snowboarding/best_snowboards_of_2005.html

^

Arbor Mystic Snowboard--We can't say enough good things about the Arbor Mystic. This is a wildly fun board in all conditions. The bamboo core is light and really snappy. Bamboo is one of the strongest materials on the planet--increasing the board’s durability, performance, and overall strength. And bamboo’s environmentally friendly to boot, growing ten times faster than the fastest-growing tree.

this is the one i was thinking of

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/01/indigo_bamboo_s.php

Cool!

I`m not suprized that Abor is making one because they are also making the bamboo longboards I was reading about last night.

The other longboard companies that are building from bamboo are Sector 9 and Loaded. Loaded has plans to move into the snowboard market also, so that might be interesting seeing they are pretty much focused on building skateboards for carving.

I like that site. Treehugger:D

There is a company that does do bamboo cores, cost a heap as well, free ride only, no alpine. i was on a site today looking for another board in aus and came across it. cost was 2400+ aud.

i will try and find site for you

Then they're ripping people off. Bamboo is cheap. We looked at it for flooring in our house. Unless there's some crazy process necessary to use it. Which I doubt.

I was reading a small Mountainboarding mahgazine a few years ago and i specifically remember seeing a custom hemp fiber deck that accepted MBS trucks and foot straps. It calimed to be significantly lighter and more durable than the standard MBS decks.

dont know about suppliers chubz, just go to the manufacter's website and it probably have where you can buy it

Jack: I looked into buying a hot blast for my GS board a few weeks ago from the only retailer of new alpine gear in aus. (you can get it through dealers of products but it gets too hard) The cost for one in a 17 something length exceeded the cost of getting a kessler sent to aus. every thing here is expensive.

I've been interested in Bamboo for quite some time. The issue is there is very little of it grown in the US, so it has to be shipped from Asia. The one core sample I did get several years ago was very dense and heavy. My interest is mostly from the renewable materials standpoint. Bamboo matures in only 3 years.

If I had a source that was competitive on pricing, I'd be very interested in trying it out.

bamboo would be alittle flexy for a race board though, they make a ski called a butterlicious. the company says that the ski is good at buttering and also has lots of pop. the problem with this in an alpine board is that to make a ski butter it must be very soft and flexable, eg. fold at high speed

I've been interested in Bamboo for quite some time. The issue is there is very little of it grown in the US, so it has to be shipped from Asia. The one core sample I did get several years ago was very dense and heavy. My interest is mostly from the renewable materials standpoint. Bamboo matures in only 3 years.

If I had a source that was competitive on pricing, I'd be very interested in trying it out.

Bamboo is a grass and yes it is very flexible. Use of bamboo may be better than metal and it is certainly way more resiliant. If the proper type is used it could be the wonderwood for race boards very damp

Sean, you may want to check with Bamboo flooring companies. I have been pricing flooring for a rehab of my attic into a master bedroom...it's way cheaper than any of the other woods and from my research has a very good life expectancy...as a side note I love my Bamboo cutting board

I think bamboo is worth looking into for core materials. If you take a sample of bamboo and mill it down to core spec you can still flex it like a snowboard with out it snapping. I think the benifits are huge and could even be the next big thing for snowboards. Like Sean mentioned the enviromental impacts are very favorable as well.

As far as it being too flexey for race boards, there are all sorts of ways to make a board flexey or stiff other than simply the wood used.

Sean,

There is a place that grows bamboo in the town that I live in. One of the few places in the US. The information about them if you are interested is:

Burt Associates Bamboo

(978) 692-3240

3 Landmark Rd

Westford, MA 01886

->Ben

Sean,

There is a place that grows bamboo in the town that I live in. One of the few places in the US. The information about them if you are interested is:

Burt Associates Bamboo

(978) 692-3240

3 Landmark Rd

Westford, MA 01886

->Ben

The problem with most Bamboo grown in North America is that it the ornamental variety not lumber grade...alot of the lumber grade stuff comes from SE Asia

I have been pricing flooring for a rehab of my attic into a master bedroom...it's way cheaper than any of the other woods and from my research has a very good life expectancy

Cork is nice also. Check it out, It is a very nice on the knees (but not carpet nice). Im starting to see a lot more of it in high end houses. Dont like laminates in bedrooms. Make sure you run heat to your attic.

(Sorry my day job is creeping in)

So.....I`m looking around the net reading about bamboo and I found this.

"...the most exciting technology Hidalgo has developed is to deform the bamboo plant as it grows to create incredibly strong pre-stressed arches. A form of wood and plywood with a predetermined arc is placed over a bamboo shoot. As the bamboo grows, it assumes the shape of the arc, permanently.

"You can make any type of construction member when you deform the bamboo," Hidalgo says. "To make one curved laminated beam could cost $25,000. But to grow the equivalent in bamboo would cost only $100."

A cross and longitudinal section of a bamboo plant reveals its amazing properties and the strength and resilience the mature plant gains from its vertical fibers and horizontally reinforced chambers. A bamboo plant is fully formed as it starts up from the ground, its future chambers compressed against one another like an accordion. As the plant matures, the shoot expands and these chambers spread out, beginning from the lowest internode. And if the shoot is deformed on the way up, it assumes its new shape permanently.

"The most expensive thing is the form," Hidalgo says. "But once you have a form you can grow many of the same arches for a very low price. You tell me what kind of a structure you want and I will deform the arcs for you."

:D You could grow the camber you want into the bamboo!

That is the coolest thing ever............Bring on the bamboo carving boards!

dont indigo make boards for bogner?

some expensive gear there

You are right, they have even a full line of skis (titanal/bamboo), helmets, bags and so on. All based on bamboo and the bamboo look. In our former house we had a bamboofloor in our livingroom. Very tough material, hardly scratches on it, cheap material compare to other 'wooden' floors.

Greets, Hans.

If the lumber grade stuff matures in 3-5 years maybe we just need to grow some in the backyard:biggthump.

There is a gardeners joke about Bamboo...how do you get rid of bamboo in your backyard??? Cut it down, sell the house and move to another state before it grows back. Even the stuff that is listed as Non invasive is...the lumber grade stuff has a growth rate that would put Kudzoo to shame. That said I have a privet hedge that I am replacing with bamboo this summer :biggthump after I make it difficult for runners (the plants not exercisers)