Note to New Members ×

? Bamboo cores

surfinsmiley

Bamboo is a GRASS not wood...metal is still too much like foam in my book

As a wise border said at the ECES. "we used to make planes out of wood, you don't see a wood fighter jet,so why the hell am I riding a wood board?? "

Think out side of the box.

Im experimenting with Hemp right now! although I can't get passed the preping part before I pass out I think it will work..but I keep getting parnoind about it..

Next Im thinking rubber Plant..just think..its already got vibration dampening properties built in..

Using Cactus too..no stomp pad needed..

right Said Shred :rolleyes:

I've been interested in Bamboo for quite some time. The issue is there is very little of it grown in the US, so it has to be shipped from Asia. The one core sample I did get several years ago was very dense and heavy. My interest is mostly from the renewable materials standpoint. Bamboo matures in only 3 years.

If I had a source that was competitive on pricing, I'd be very interested in trying it out.

Grow your own - or not. I am not sure what kind we had, but I just cut out a huge patch of the stuff at our house. There were ove 2,000 stalks! Some of them were probably approaching 20 feet. I put it in a pile in the woods. It just keeps growing back, to I am going to cut the whole rhyzome or root system out of the ground. I think that bamboo could conquer the world if we let it grow enough. Anyway, if you decide to grow any, be smart and make a containment ditch with proper lining so that the root system cannot spread. Once you plant it, you will have all you need in no time - and then some.

The only positive side was that when we needed a limbo setup for MAC Tracks, I had plenty of bamboo - perfect for the application.

Hey Phil! Did you read my comment/joke about Bamboo??? Napalm doesn't work, containing it is a very smart idea. if you are trying to ridyourselfof it you are going to lose a lot of you soil...take it all to the dump any place you dump it will grow.

The only place lumber bamboo grows well is in the southeast. It's zone 7, anything colder and and you won't get canes big enough (6"-10" in diameter) to make lumber from

Bamboo lumber info

Bamboo lumber 1

Bamboo Lumber 2

Bamboo Lumber 3

Hey Phil! Did you read my comment/joke about Bamboo??? Napalm doesn't work, containing it is a very smart idea. if you are trying to ridyourselfof it you are going to lose a lot of you soil...take it all to the dump any place you dump it will grow.

GGGRRRR. Yeah, I read it and was amused. When I decided to get rid of ours, I looked all over the internet to find out how. I saw jokes like that everywhere I went. Believe me, they are only funny when you are not pulling your hair out trying to get rid of the stuff.:D Mine is finally dying, after consistent action for a year. I still need to dig it out though.

I see your point about where it can be grown. Ours only got to around 2-3 inches in diameter.

my mother (who is a landscape gardener) is convinced that pinning black plastic over anything for year will kill it (certainly worked on the pakasandra we had out front)...you could also try pouring/spraying white vinegar (it's cheap) over the shoots...that will burn the foliage. I would not use Roundup though as that will not work as advertised on Bamboo

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like another German snowboard manufacturer is also experimenting with bamboo boards: http://www.noname-snowboards.com/content/needle.htm

Sorry, it's all in German. Basically it says the 'Needle' is in bamboo carbon composite construction (?) and custom made.

Length: 151-180 cm

eff. edge: 141-164 cm

Nose: 19.2-19.9 cm

Waist: 15-15.6 cm

Tail: 20.5-21.8 cm

For riders with 60-90 kg

Price is on the heavy side though: 1,000-1,200 Euros.

More info on the manufacturing process (again, all in German): http://www.noname-snowboards.com/content/konstruktion.htm

fluke

Vertically laminated bamboo slalom skateboards: Fatboy skateboards.

It can't be too much of a stretch to get to a vertically-laminated bamboo snowboard from there. Who's their supplier?

slalom_r3_c11.gif

I'm thinking one of these might be my next skateboard. They even let you design your own custom shape. Only problem (for me) is that they don't have concave. I like a nice mellow concave on slalom skateboards just to tell me where my feet are.