Note to New Members ×

first time on alpine board AKA raceboards in 24" of powder off piste suck

lex

took my cocoon lotus 164 out to flims/laax...

rode the long gondola up to the high areas. then took a chair lift up higher. i thought higher would be better but... wrong. first run was really really bad. my goggles fogged up and froze so i was ****ed there. there was also knee to waist deep powder and my narrow race board would have none of that. i did some spectacular flips into the soft pow. got dug in deep, got very tired trying to pull myself out and get up. lost the piste because i could not see. ended up deep in the trees. my binding were set too hight so i had little control or ability. i had to walk out of the forrest.

re-adjusted the angles to 50/45 and i made a few runs up high on blue piste but the wind and lack of visibility made it hard to concentrate on learning. got a good run in after the mid-day groom. at this point i was just getting used to controlling the board. i made some psudo-carves like most soft boards do (er.. skid). i also got banged up a bit. i need a helmet! after that hit i took a run and then a lunch break. when i tried to run again i was so out of it that i could not basically control a board.

it was three. i was really frustrated and kinda disapointed and upset that i had spent that much money for such a bad day. i said **** it and got on the gondolas to go down. as i reached the village i saw that the lower ski areas had no wind or snow. the sun was even coming out a bit. looked over and saw some nice runs. i decided that i would take the chair lift up. it had some blue runs so i was set. it was sooo much better. i got to actually practice some techinque. the problem was that my feet really hurt. i said **** it, suck it up and board, that is what you want to do. i made a couple of runs on that one then went higher. it was steeper a first but then leveled out to some nice runs. i think i got some actual carves in. i made it down and was able to catch the lift right as it was closing to grab another run! i did really well and got some basic carves it. i was able board for a while w/o stopping much. i love that feeling when you are just flying down!

some comments: damn that board is fast and scary! it needs speed to start to carve. my transitions have improved a lot but i still skid a bit (speed?). toe side is easier to get the board on edge and carve (or psudo-cave), heel side when i try to make an arc catches the nose and tries to turn me hard. it is harder on heel side to lean into the carve. i do the best when i bend my knees and are lower, but in good posture. i can really lean into thing that way. on turns i have been leaning more towards the nose and downhill. still learning about toe and heal pressure during carve turns. also trying to flex the board by moving my ankles in (this cause the board to turn very sharp and engage the edges near the nose. the last run i discovered the use of arms to counter balance!

despite getting chewed up, i can not wait to go again. the last two hours gave me hope and i really enjoyed myself. i was glad i got to end on a positive note.

i saw only two alpine riders. the one i talked to had a nice f2 board/intec set up. he said this was really bad weather for this and that it is not my board or me. i wanted to ask him if i could take a run with him but i was going inside for a bite to eat and realized i perhaps missed my chance.

Hey Lex.

Powder + first time on an alpine board is a bad combination, as you by now know. Start on the greens. Blues at most, but flat blues. Do the norm. Do the norm some more. Practice bending your knees. Stay away from the reds. Stay away from the blacks. Get the feel of carving on the almost-flat. Get bored with it. When you feel like you could do that green run full speed riding switch, that's when you get to move up to the steeper stuff.

That 'board wants to turn me hard" feeling you had on backside is the board starting to carve to its preferred radius for the angle / speed you have. It's scary. And fun. Learn to love it. Your board has a relatively tight radius, it's going to really haul when you have it cranked. Be thankful you didn't start with a 9m radius board (as I did, my first real carved turn at speed tried to ram my boots where the sun doesn't shine)

Good start. Welcome. Have fun

Simon

thanks for the words of encouragement and advice! yep the powder did suck. got to go thru some shallow stuff (5-10cm) and it was fun though

when it would start to turn real sharply it almost felt like it was catching the nose, but it would be locking into the carve. blueB estimated it to be about 11.9 so that seems to be kinda in the middle.

also keep in mind that no matter what anyone here who likes to puff their chest up and claim they can rock the powder on anything, race boards are NOT designed for powder, especially 24" of it!

they _will_ ride ok in less snow, but theyre still gonna be a bitch

and yeah, learning on one on a fresh dump day...damn...I can imagine that just being HELL!

Some snow just isn't cool with an alpine board. you can do it with softer boots and bindings but dropping into a double black with 6-10 inches of fresh is a good way to kill yourself. get the softies out and play in the powder unless you are blessed with miles of no skiers and no trees.

Hey Lex!

Good to hear that you are not giving up after all the pounding you got today, and that you still had some fun!

That board really sucks in powder (like all race boards). The fact that is on stiff side for your weight doesn't help the issue in fluffy stuff at all. It is quite bitchy in bumps/chop too. I enjoyed it only on good groom and ice.

It's sc radius is ok for learning (maybe a bit long), and good all-round radius for later... As for the stiffness - you already know my opinion.

I agree with opinions on flatter smooth runs and the "Norm". The only way to get rid-off the soft booting habits (kicking the tail, etc.)

Boris

PS Oh, yes - your board has pettier top sheet than mine!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm POWDER!

Sorry about your first day Mate! Don't worry it will be all groomers before too long and you'll be laying that board over like a pro!

For now, get off that anorexic board and get some fatty mac daddy stick and enjoy the POW!

i would be down to meet up in davos. when are the dates? and if you are up for it i would be interested in meeting up before that at a smaller/less expensive places and practices a bit before the session...

thanks

alex

nope, i am not. perhaps i am even more determined. i know that i choose a hard board to learn on. i think i needed it to beat the crap out of me and hey, it was def and ego cutter :)

i like the top sheet on mine.. little beat up but... i also liked the one on your 164. did you keep the little one?

Good to hear that you are not giving up after all the pounding you got today, and that you still had some fun!

That board really sucks in powder (like all race boards). The fact that is on stiff side for your weight doesn't help the issue in fluffy stuff at all. It is quite bitchy in bumps/chop too. I enjoyed it only on good groom and ice.

It's sc radius is ok for learning (maybe a bit long), and good all-round radius for later... As for the stiffness - you already know my opinion.

I agree with opinions on flatter smooth runs and the "Norm". The only way to get rid-off the soft booting habits (kicking the tail, etc.)

Boris

PS Oh, yes - your board has pettier top sheet than mine!

i would be down to meet up in davos. when are the dates? and if you are up for it i would be interested in meeting up before that at a smaller/less expensive places and practices a bit before the session...

I know that it's a long way, but if you're going to be in the French Alps around the Chamonix / Megeve La Clusaz sort of area, drop me a line.

Also, check out the meeting stuff on extremecarving.com.

Simon

I had exactly the same experience in Japan this season.

First season in Harboots and everytime I went to the hills it was DEEP powder.

Nearly cried with the frustration of it all.

I solved all my problems by getting a 200cm Rad Air Tanker. Now I can ride the same board no matter what the conditions are like:biggthump.

Remember, there are virtues to owning a quiver and using it.:cool:

I took 2 boards with my first time in hardboots and glad I did because I spent the week on the freestyle board :rolleyes:

Pretty much because 1. I was working on technique days 1 and 2 and 2. we got powder on day 3 and I was riding ungroomed but very long greens.....

As for your feet, get molded boot inserts-I got the molded superfeet ones and felt like my feet where being firmly but lovingly held by the boots, as opposed to the tight, cranked down, toe numb feeling I would get in my old soft boots....

Keep riding, though.....and read "The Norm 1 and 2"

tufty: not sure if i can make it over being a poor college student and all but thanks for the offer.

skatha: good idea, i got thermoflex liners, are those moldable?

gleb: a copy of the norm 1+2 might be the perfect reading material during a lunch break.

thermoflex are moldable. I dunno much about them. I think you could go to a bootfitter and they will mold it for you. You could do it yourself but i don't know the details about the temperature the oven should be at. The search feature could be your best friend.

:freak3:

omgomg you're riding in non-molded thermoflex liners? No wonder your feet hurt. After you bake them they will go from being the most uncomfortable boots ever to the most comfortable boots ever. See if you can find a really good bootfitter around where you are, or check this and do it yourself:

http://alpinecarving.com/bootfitting.html#heat

tufty: not sure if i can make it over being a poor college student and all but thanks for the offer.

gleb: a copy of the norm 1+2 might be the perfect reading material during a lunch break.

No, I put the inserts into the liners....go by a ski shop and ask about what you can do....

BTW, I didn't mold the thermoflex liners in my boots, due to the fact they were comfortable with the shoe inserts anyway....

i like the top sheet on mine.. little beat up but... i also liked the one on your 164. did you keep the little one?

I still have the 158. Do you want it ;) ?

I think that I'm going to give it a try very soon - it might prove to be a better "short" board than my very old Nidecker...

Keep us posted about your further carving adventures.

Boris

thanks

alex

the session is april, the 1.+2.

as you all know, **** happens. so now to me, i have to go make an MRI once again on my knee. checking the meniscus...:mad: maybe i could not make it to davos...