Note to New Members ×

base & edge bevel ?

orser506

originally I had a 1 degree base and 2 degrees on the side...at this point the base is about .5-.75. This is mostly because the base was hand ground to start and has only a machine grinds on it.

well I tuned up my board today and measured the base...I still have about a 1 degree base bevel...As for why a beveled base is important many might argue but unless you are on groomed, and fresh at that, a flat base is an invitation to edge catching...the bevel gives the board a bit of a roll from edge to edge...mind you this isn't as important when your waist is 18cm but it still applies...I rode a flat grind once and I was never so happy to get back on my own board...As for the side??? I'll guess that a bevel on the side seems to make up reducedangle from the base thereby giving you the rider about 90 degrees

I definitely like a little base bevel, I find that even half a degree makes a noticable fifference in the grabbiness of the edges. I did my first day on my Coiler without doing any edge tuning, and it felt a little grabby, I put a half degree base edge bevel on the base edge and took it out again, similar snow in the early AM, no grabbiness. I'm happy with that.... if I were racing I'm sure I'd get more into this but the hlaf degree suits me well for "just having fun".

I do all my side edges at one degree, since that's the only side edge file guide I have :)

I am a tuning pro, I own a small business on the side, and all we do is tune. Personally, I ride 1* on the base and 1.5-2* on the side. I use that for everyday carving and racing. I had an interesting request the other day though, a snowboarder wanted 1* side bevel on his heel edge and 2* on his toe edge, or maybe it was the other way around, but either way, he wanted different bevels. I think its all a matter of preference, and it also depends on the conditions you ride most. Me, I ride on the eastern blue plate so I want REALLY sharp edges to bite into the ice. The idea behind base beveling, like someone said already is tokeep you from catching an edge. Some beginners start with 2-3 degrees on the base, to keep rom catching, and the best riders in the world on the circuits get down into the tenths of degrees on the base. The side bevel is not only to make the edges have a smaller angle on them if you use a greater bevel(think knife edge, the smaller the angle, the sharper the surface), but also it can make the edge square again. A quick formula to find out your edge angle (s= side bevel, B= base angle). (90-s)+B=final edge angle. So, lets see, my final edge angle is (90-2)+1=89*. And now a world cup circuit racer's: (90-3)+.3=87.3*. The higher your side bevel, the sharper the edge, and the lower the base bevel, also the sharper your edge. If you used equal angles, you would have a 90* edge that is tilted to the snow. (90-2)+2=90. That edge there would be tilted off the snow by 2*. Hope this helps. Email me if you need anymore help.

-Justin

________

Health shop

Guest dragonfly jones

Be nice now!

The setup I use is by no means useful for 90% of the people out there - some may even say it is kookish.

It took a ton of trial and error - as a bigger person to figure all of this out with the help of Holmenkol, Winterstieger and Mr. Guras from A racers edge.

I know you like a tuned board and I know you know that it will rider better and provide many days of use and enjoyment.

Call me crazy. How was the trip up north?

I tried to get fancy with varying bevels, and 0 degree base bevels, and eventually just settled for 1 base and 1 side. It works, it's easy to remember, and I read somewhere that a 90 degree angle will stay sharp easier than an 89 degree.

Questions for the experts:

How much sharpening is too much, or how often is too often?

How much is a reasonable amount of imperfection in a 'flat' base and when should you bother with a grind? I though one of my boards was base high and brought it into a shop. We went down the base with a true bar and where I thought it wasn't right, the tech guy thought was OK.

I appreciate your opinions, even if they stink!

MT

I ddidn't try detuning the tip and tail before putting the half degree bevel on. I might try detuning tip and tail with a zero base bevel on another board as an experiment... no need to go filing the edges again on a brand new stick though, especially when I'm so happy with the way it's running right now!

The grabbiness I was referring to was happening when running flat... and that went away with the bevel. I checked the base with a true bar both before and after beveling, the edges were not railed to being with so that wasn't a problem. (First thing I did with the new board - check it with a true bar!)

Base bevel is the key... to running flat base, and not ending up flat on your face!

First thing I do when I get a new board is bevel the edges. My freestyle board came with a 3 degree base bevel.