Note to New Members ×

Rock Climbing Gyms

RJ-PS

Do you/would you use an indoor climbing facility?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you/would you use an indoor climbing facility?

• Only climb indoors
    • Only climb outdoors
    • Climb indoors or outdoors at least twice a month
    • Climb indoors at least 1/month
    • Climb indoors at least 1/quarter
    • Climb indoors at least 1/year
    • I would go if an indoor climb gym was available in my area
    • I would not go if an indoor climb gym was available in my area

Looking for feedback, information, pros-cons etc. on indoor climbing gyms from your personal experience.

Am considering moving forward with a gym redevelopment that would include an indoor climbnasium as part of the project.

Thanks for any help.

Looking for feedback, information, pros-cons etc. on indoor climbing gyms from your personal experience.

Am considering moving forward with a gym redevelopment that would include an indoor climbnasium as part of the project.

Thanks for any help.

I climb at Planet Granite in the Bay Area. I like it a lot. It isn't the same as climbing outdoors, but has a lot of benefits to it.

First is that there is no prep time. You just pull on your shoes and harness and you are ready (no need to check your trad gear).

You can squeeze in a climb in a half hour.

It works virtually all your major muscle (very good for a balancing muscle workout).

Requires balance and controlled strength instead of simple isolated muscle strength like with weight machines.

It also engages your brain while working out.

These are all pros in terms of workout compared to other gym elements.

I don't climb, but we've had 2 birthday parties for the kids at indoor climbing gyms, and a number of their friends have done the same. Build a room to host b-day parties if you do it. Sell "goodie bags" with the party package that include a nalgene bottle with a biner, t-shirt and some other crap inside.

I live about 10 minutes from Ollies which has a really good bouldering cave and so so top rope walls, I'm an hour from Lincoln woods which is almost word class. The best gym I have ever been to is Carabiners in New Bedford of all places, I would join if I lived closer. I try to get there with my brother every month or so. I have a Hangboard that I train on daily and will be building a wall in my garage soon enough. I've been exploring the local chunks of stone for bouldering as soon as the weather shifts...

I occasionally go to Boulder Mortys in Nashua. Its a really nice place, they even have an Ice-Climbing wall made of this wierd styrofoam stuff that they charge $1.00 a climb for and replace the wall every week. Its a good idea. Place where rockclimbers can go in winter and iceclimbers can go in summer.

________

Volcano classic vaporizer

I use to do a ton of climbing (both in and outdoor), 2 kids later I'm lucky if I get out a few times a year. I'd use the indoor gym during the winter months to keep my strength up. My local gym went out of business because of the seasonal volume. He couldn't get enough folks there during the summer months.

Guest jschal01

Check out Chelsea Piers in Manhattan if you're planning on a real climbing wall as an added attraction to a fitness/gym facility. Crunch in Manhattan, with a tiny wall with limited hours and zero routesetting, would be an example of a way not to do things if you're trying to attract climbers, as opposed to simply adding "sizzle" to the gym. The Spot bouldering gym in Boulder is probably the best single place in North America in terms of overall execution.

You may want to call some of these places, if you haven't already, to talk about some of the economics and business model issues. Talk to your insurers.

The routesetters in particular can make or break a climbing wall. Do you know good routesetters already?

Check out www.rockclimbing.com and any pertinent regional sites as well.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the reasons I'm doing it is a pastor moved into town that is a great climber and sports with some world renowned climbers. He is looking for a gym and we are just an hour + from Yosemite so we might get some residual from that.

Most of his friends have already consulted for gyms throughout the US, so I'm not worried about routesetting. I'm more worried about attracting and keeping a membership until the local colleges get enough students enrolled to keep us in business. Birthday parties are definitely key and also relationships with local schools for gym class trips, etc.

So yes, business models and best practices are what I'm looking for as well as just average joe feedback of what is liked and disliked about rock climbing gyms.

Thanks!

Guest jschal01

Given what you're describing, I'd definitely talk to the folks at The Spot in Boulder.

In terms of your pastor's friends, I wouldn't count on them for round the clock routesetting. But, given your physical location, you should have an ample supply for full-time talent for that. You may even be able to find someone to work basically for free if you let them live in the gym. Good luck!