Note to New Members ×

Next step up from Burton plates

oldkey

Our youth alpine team has always prefered Burton plates because of their flexibility.....they seem to be forgiving for kids. But....I'm wondering when a rider becomes aggressive enough to need a stiffer binding. My son has progressed significantly over the last three years. In the last two weeks, he has become so aggressive that he has popped out of his front binding twice. I have since tightened the front hoping to avoid that in the future (although it is now hard for him to get the font bail closed). He has also upgraded to a Prior WRC for SL and a Donek Pilot for GS......seems like maybe it's time to upgrade his bindings??

At 14 and 95 pounds he is certainly too small for TDs at this point, but what bindings are between the Burton Race plates and TDs? In a perfect world they would have adjustable cants instead of the fixed 7 degree cant that we use now with his Burtons. (Cateks seems perfect for the cant.....but I'm thinking that they are too stiff at this point.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Matt

www.thegteam.net

same problem I had with Raichles and Burton plates. I couldn't stay in them at all. Would usually release when I needed them most (cranking a heel carve on steeps). I am 245 lbs and still ride Burton plates so can't address a step up but you should be able to stay in your bindings. The only issue I have with Burton plates is that I crack the bails regularly - one or two a year. I have learned to inspect carefully, not use the anodized coated bail (it covers up the micro crack that is the first sign of metal fatigue).

Good luck

Does Burton still have them?

I'm not convinced that I had his bindings tight enough. He raced on Friday with no problem.....and he was riding aggressive. But the event of his coming out of the binding did scare us both. We have always liked the Burtons....just wonder if it's time to "upgrade."

Snowpro Race, either step-in or standard, would be a good intermediate binding also. The ones I have are several seasons old and are still good performers. The race have 6mm bails, but still have a significant amount of flex compared to my TD2's. I use the stepins on my splitboard and my F2 Breezer i cruise around on.

While we're on that topic, I just recently switched burton bindings to the front for two of my alpine boards and have the rear bindings td2 step-ins. I dont ride quite aggressive, tho I enjoy carving as well as gate-bashing. so far, no problem. i hope it'll stay that way for a while. this is how i do it with my burton bindings, i make it quite tight that i have to really "press" the lever down to hold my boots nice and tight.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Many world cuppers are still riding Burton race plates. If they haven't "progressed" out of them, I doubt the people here have. If patrick is popping out of them they probably aren't set up right. Depending on what boot he is on, you might want to completely remove the screw that adjust the height of the toe bail.

If you truely feel you need to "upgrade" in bindings look at the F2's. The Phiokka's might be a little too stiff of a younger racer. The F2's are a solid binding and are a valid option. Stay away from step-ins for racing though.

Hey, i am 15 and 110 lbs and i ride OS2's. Yeah that happend to me with burton race plates. if i were you f2 catek or bombers would be fine.

I have never had a failure with Burton plates except for the occasional bail.

What boots are you guys riding in? and Scott you are welcome to disagree. But I am kind of with Phil. If they are still using them on the world cup - what up??

I like the flex I get out of them, but probably should get something different eventually. I figure the way I ride everything will metal fatigue eventually. I can judge it pretty good on my Burton plates so here I am.

Just so you know I had horrible prerelease problems with one of the mentioned reccomended bindings from another company above. Usually on high speed fallaway jumps, and always the front foot. Spent hours working on them before I said duck it and went back to the race plates.

About the bails I bought a dozen of front and rear, when I saw the writing on the wall about Burton. I also have 6 pair of plates so I spread it around a bit. I probably have enought bails to last until 2010 or 2011.

I have a set of f2 and a set of cateks. the f2 bindings flex alot i mean enough to make me wonder sometimes. the step up to cateks was hard because they have absolutely no give, none. the change makes you rethink your entire technique and it made me realize that the boots I had were to soft. you might end up buying stiffer boots if you go to cateks. I would also suggest the snow pro race binding. it has similiar construction to the f2 but is beefed up considerably. your son isn't big enough to worry about breaking them yet.

D

I ride the Burton race plates with 123's. One thing that I just started noticing is that after a few runs the toe of my front boot starts to rotate or slide to the inside (to the right, I ride regular). I was wondering if anyone else had this happen. It hasn’t happened since I began riding 2 years ago until 3 weeks ago. I tried moving the bails closer but then it was hard to close. Anyone else had this problem?

I ride the Burton race plates with 123's. One thing that I just started noticing is that after a few runs the toe of my front boot starts to rotate or slide to the inside (to the right, I ride regular). I was wondering if anyone else had this happen. It hasn’t happened since I began riding 2 years ago until 3 weeks ago. I tried moving the bails closer but then it was hard to close. Anyone else had this problem?

Put a few wraps of duct tape on each side of your toe bail this will keep you boot from rotating.

As I agreed earlier, I think that the bindings were not adjusted properly. I moved the front bail one screw position closer for a tighter fit. That seemed to do the trick......no issues this weekend. The adjustment screw on the front bail is in all the way. If he pops out again the next move is to take the screw all the way out. Patrick now has to really push that front bail down (almost struggling), but I feel like the binding is now very secure.

Based on CB200's comment, I checked Patrick's boots. Sure enough, he has quite a bit of wear on that front boot, though the attachment point is in tact. But....it's getting close. Where can I get toe and heel pieces for Burton Wind boots? I forsee this to be a problem getting into next season.

Finally, if we upgrade, it seems like the F2 might be a logical choice......but I think that we will wait until after Nationals. But based on many of your comments, maybe we will just be changing....not really upgrading.

As I said at the start......we have always liked Burton Race plates.....seems many of you do as well.

Thanks for all of the thoughts.

Matt

Do Chris Klug and others on the World Cup circuit ride "standard" Burton Race Plates that we are buying/selling here on Bomber? I have always assumed (at least for Chris), that they were specially made....beefier versions of what the rest of us ride. Or are they riding the exact models we can get?

but I would assume that the answer is no due to cost for the manufacturer

I could be wrong though

try burton and Klug for parts, two years ago burton still had parts for reactors which they stopped making in '99

god I hated the cuff adjustment on the reactors I bent a bunch of those peices, good thing they changed that with the fire/wind

with burton for legacy parts it often takes a few tries and talking with someone that has been there for a long time but usually it means you get the stuff for free as well

many things can be said about them but they still rock with customer service

Klugs bindings are the same race plates that everyone else has.

As far as replacement toe and heel peices. You can get a replacement heel peice from Fin at Bomber, the Deelux heels will fit on your Winds. Toe peices are getting harder and harder to find. Rumor has it that they will start remaking that boot soon, when this happens you probably will be able to get toe peices straight from who ever is producing the boots.

tonight, i was going down backwards for a few feet then I caught an edge backwards and my front foot came out of my burton plates. I have winds as well. A piece of the latch is broken but not the part that attaches to the boot. It was kinda wierd. One guy on a Burton Special heard the thing snap from pretty far away. I do like the bindings though, although i have nothing to compare it to. good luck.