Note to New Members ×

Prior WCR Metal

Jack M

I must have missed the discussion about round vs. square tails. What is the benefit for decks that don't put a high priority on riding switch?

It's a C$50 add-on. I don't think it would affect the ride positively or negatively.

I'd also like to point out that that's a great pic of the man himself executing a sweet toeside.

bg_boards_wcr_metal.jpg

It's a C$50 add-on. I don't think it would affect the ride positively or negatively.

I'd also like to point out that that's a great pic of the man himself executing a sweet toeside.

I had the pleasure of riding with Chris while in Whistler a couple of seasons ago. The man is a smooth rider with near perfect form.

All Prior Titanal WCR's come with the roundtail included in the price (click the "more" link on this page http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_wcr_metal.php#). It helps the tail release cleanly, or at least not hang up as much, in rutted courses or "variable" conditions.

I had one of these coming to me in "used once" condition, but when it arrived, the topsheet was pulled up slightly behind the rear inserts. It was either UPS damage or, and this is more likely in my opinion, it appeared the rear binding pulled up on the topsheet that day it was "used once". I had the damn thing in my hands, and boy was it light! But no way I was keeping it for $500 in that condition.

Velveeta, where did you get that quote? There's nothing on the Prior website about metal baseplates in their warranty, in fact they sell Bombers. Please explain.

Follow the "...more" link on the top page of the Metal Series to a popup. It looks like the copy has been modified throughout the day. As of this posting,

"Unfortunately, damage caused by bindings with metal baseplates does not fall under the coverage offered by warranty."

I checked with Chris Prior on the issue with metal baseplates, he said all bindings are OK except for the original Bomber TD's. If they are used without the elastomer (BAD) system, they can damage the topsheet. These are the original small diameter Bombers, maybe nobody here even remembers them.....limited angle (55 degrees IIRC)adjustment.......base about 3 inch diameter? They were quickly replaced with the larger baseplate model with more angle adjustment. So all is good.

I was up there two weeks ago and got a chance to check out one of these metal sticks close-up. They look awesome. Supposedly there are two layers of titanal (one at the base before the p-tex and the other is the topsheet). The boards are definately more flexible and look sweet. They wouldn't let me take one out for a spin, but if only I had a bunch of cash sitting around.

FYI; supposedly, Philippe Berube is going throught these boards rather quickly. Also sounds like they were having teh same issues with epoxy bonding to the metal that we heard from Bruce and Kessler last year.

Great looking board though. I'd call Dean or Chris for some more info.

-Gord

Great looking board though. I'd call Dean or Chris for some more info.

I did.

meaning calling and placing an order. I almost ordered it narrower (18 cm) , but then decided to keep it at 19.5 cm as stock waist.

Looking forward to compare this side by side with my virus tantalus team edition. :cool:

told that the life span many skis with metals such as titanal are short and do break easily

I have seen a few "bent" pairs of Volkl P50s and P60s that seems to back up what some of these skiers have told me

it seems that its a issue that rears its ugly head when you flex the ski to a point and the metal shears away from the other meterials at this point eveything fails, the ski folds and is toast

I could be wrong but I bet that is a huge part of the failurs with anything with titanal in it

perhaps this will be sovled with new resins or something?