Note to New Members ×

Black toe again!

Guest OCD

I need a little advice. Each year I go riding my boots give me grief and I inevitably loose my left big toe nail. I’ve have my boots punched out at the toe, my liners re-baked and all sorts of other things done to resolve the issue. A carver and tech at a local shop suggested that it might not be the boots that are at issue but the way I have my binding set up. I’ve been riding consistently for six years with heal lifts on both my front and back bindings, no toe lift on the front. He is sure that this is putting too much forward pressure on the toe and hence the issue. Does anyone have any thoughts or past experience with this problem? I use F2 Proflex titanium step-ins.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tim Tuthill

OCD: Your boots may be too wide? That was my problem. I changed from Raichle/Deelux, too wide, to Burton Fires. I had Burton Reactors when I started. The Fires are the same last. My toe moved all over in the Raichle boots. You may need to narrow your boot?? IMHO??

Guest tdinardo

We need some pics! :eplus2:

I thought I was in bad shape because I used to have to wrap my big toes with sports tape to prevent skin and toenail damage (no longer a problem with my Stratos Pros), but toe nails falling out and surgical removal of parts of the toe? Wow!

I have many seasons of 100 plus days and found with custom footbeds and injected liners all of my foot problems went away. Even after a 6 or 7 hour day I am happy in my boots. It would seem to me that the only way you would have toenail problems is with movement and subsequent friction in the toe box area. With appropriate padding and tightness you should have no or very little movement in that area.

I tighten my boots down enough that I usually have to pop my buckles on the lift for the little extra circulation when I am carving hard. When teaching I loosen them one or two twists depending on temp and don't have problems or need to pop buckles then either.

My two cents - good luck

OCD,

What boots are you using, and how do you set them up when you ride?

When riding trees/bumps/crud, I used to use walk mode.

Now that I understand the powder setting, that's what I use.

I think the backward flex allowed by walk mode can allow your leg to leverage the foot forward and jam the toe.

No, I don't want to see pics :barf:

- Dave

If you aren't sliding around in your boots maybe you just need to mold extra space around your toes when heatmolding your liners. The toebox I think they call it. I cut off the toes of a super thick sock, use that as a cap, and put that around my toes (along with a bunch of tissue paper stuck between each of my toes) when I mold my boots.

Also, you can usually pull your toes away from the front of your boot, as well as prevent yourself from sliding forwards by tightening the cuff buckles a lot (pulls your shin backwards in the boot).

Thanks for the help. I have tried all of the above. I was hoping that the toe / heal lift situation was the key. It did get me thinking about my set up though. Do most riders only have a heal lift on the rear binding and the toe in the front and how does that change your riding?

I need a little advice. Each year I go riding my boots give me grief and I inevitably loose my left big toe nail. I’ve have my boots punched out at the toe, my liners re-baked and all sorts of other things done to resolve the issue. A carver and tech at a local shop suggested that it might not be the boots that are at issue but the way I have my binding set up. I’ve been riding consistently for six years with heal lifts on both my front and back bindings, no toe lift on the front. He is sure that this is putting too much forward pressure on the toe and hence the issue. Does anyone have any thoughts or past experience with this problem? I use F2 Proflex titanium step-ins.

Hi, OCD

I don't know if you are using custom footbeds in your boots. I did have some serious problems with sore forefeet in the past till I let made some custom footbeds for my boots. Your feet will be raised a little in your shoes so that your forefeet will relax more. But I think you have let it all done. Just my experience. Hope you will solve the problem.

Greets, Hans.

slightly off topics -- feet. i bought a new pair of boots (softies -- DC) slightly bigger than normal. oh my god. i cant tell you how great it feels. for years, ive been struggling with serious pains in my feet. now i realized it helps if you go a bit bigger than normal sizing.

Guest tdinardo
slightly off topics -- feet. i bought a new pair of boots (softies -- DC) slightly bigger than normal. oh my god. i cant tell you how great it feels. for years, ive been struggling with serious pains in my feet. now i realized it helps if you go a bit bigger than normal sizing.

The crux of the issue is not "bigger" or "smaller" but "correct". E.g. all size 28's are not size 28's as each manufacturers shell shape can very dramatically. The only way you can assure proper boot fit is by shell sizing with an experienced boot fitter. A 28 may feel great for the first 3-5 days, but after the liner packs in, you may end up with something 1-3 sizes too big, and you can never make a big boot smaller. A good boot-fitter can make a small boot bigger though...

Good shell fit, custom footbeds, and a boot-fitting god=ahhhhh!...(or in Jeff's case, surgical removal of the offending body parts.) :biggthump

Guest tdinardo
I tried the custom food beds and it didn’t help, if fact it compacted the toe are even more. Maybe my boots are just not right for my feet.

Take the liner out of your shell and put your foot in the shell with your big toe gently touching the front of the shell. You should have 1-1 1/2 fingers of space between your heel and the back of the shell. Are any parts of your foot touching the shell besides the tip of your big toe?

Are your toes actually curling up inside the liner?

Guest tdinardo
Im goin with the "why do you have heel lift on your front foot" school first. seriously, kill that! a little toe lift on front, more heel lift on back if you want. rock that for a while.

I definitely agree with that.