Note to New Members ×

Steamboat Springs Opinion?

Deadshred

its AWESOME for carving. bring both. if youre there mid week during a non holiday period youll have a HUGE mountain all to yourself. well...kinda...

sunshine lift line was always a blast. Heavenly Daze under the gondola for a steeper section. the groomed off storm peak

thats the funnest carving mountain Ive ever personally been on.

If it dumps, youll want whatever board your comfy floating on and hit the trees.

good hill, fun town. kinda lacking in the steeps area but...oh well.

d-sub got it right...sunshine liftline is a long wide-open one for carving, and Heavenly Daze is steep and challenging.

I would also add that there is a little mini-bowl-like-trail next to the halfpipe (can't remember what it is called). It's just a wide open bowl-shaped trail that has a little double chair over it (for the halfpipe and nastar). For some reason I always loved making big wide turns in that little bowl. It's got a nice slope and kind of funnels down at the bottom.

If is snows, hike up to the top, there are some trails up there that have sparse trees that you can just lean back and float through them at top speed. Do that for the last run of the day if you want.

There are some nice trails off of tomahawk, and I think I got some nice turns in on a run called "fawn?" maybe.

Have fun. I'll be out there in March.

funny..I was gonna mention the "mini bowl." I remember crankin down that run one day after ditching a chick that got annoying, and gettin some fun hoots and hollers from the chair. then I wrecked. got even more hoots and hollers :)

the chair is the bashor chair. the run is Jess Cutoff I think...nothin worth mentioning since the rest of the mountain is much bigger and longer

I dont think you really have to hike the top anymore...just drop in back of the peaks and catch morningside chair, then back down the front (that whole area was undeveloped when I lived there)

god...such a fun mountain, and I had such a blast in that town!

All of that sounds pretty much right on for Steamboat. The mini-bowl is "Bashor Bowl" but on the map it's named after the super pipe and terain park. D-Sub is correct in that no hiking is necesary any more unless you plan to leave the ski area and head into the "Toots" which is all out of bounds and drops into the Fish Creek Falls area for a car ride back to town. My favs for carving are "Sunshine Lift Line", "Rainbow", "High Noon", "West Side" and "See Me". The runs off of Tomahawk are very flat and make it hard to keep any speed. Be sure to ask for a grooming report from the folks checking tickets at the gondola. If you use different set-ups, bring them all. You could go few days with no snow and want the carver or get burried over night with three feet of fresh. They already have over 200 inches of snow this year and the tree skiing (boarding) is legendary. If you want to know about ridding other than the groomers, email me and I will meet you there for some turns. I have over a thousand days of riding on that hill and know it pretty well.

Just curious...have you guys ever appreciated the Bashor bowl like I obviously do? or do you think it is just a lame little run to be over-looked for more impressive terrain. Is it lame? I always felt silly riding the stupid thing, but there were times when I would break off by myself and go ride that stupid run over and over again. you can only get like 4 or 5 turns before you hit the bottom at full speed. For some reason it was always fun. I guess it was one place that was always groomed, smooth, and wide open.

One time back in 1993? I was at Winter Park and I fell in love with that bowl. Every time I went back there after that it was closed. Maybe I'm trying to relive the Winter Park bowl experience I had back in 93? Sad isn't it...

Yes, I love that little bowl. You can get the best fall line by traversing across the top to the very far skier left and hug the tree line. It has a perfect pitch for carving and is hardly ever touched. I like to ride it late in the day when my legs are fried and can only push out a few turns before I have to rest. At the bottom just in front of the lift maze is very flat and you can trench a full circle there if no gappers are in the way.

The bowl in Winter Park is Parsenn Bowl which is now accessed by Timberline lift. In the early 90s you could pay $10 for a snow cat ride to the top. It's a decent little bowl, but after living in Vail for several years I am spoiled. There is usually a huge line to get up there too.

When I went there a couple of years ago I only got to Carve for a morning cause it snowed just about the whole rest of the time. Once I put on my 4807 I didnt take it off. I had fun in Christmas tree bowl and in Morningside. Being my first time on the 4807 and in that deep of snow I Didnt go to far into the woods.

Deadshred- Be sure to email me before you come. 31 consecutive season passes, I sort of know my way around. Definitely bring the carving gear as well as soft stuff.

Bad news: Bashor bowl is now a jibber park: completely filled with rails, jumps and a superpipe... R.I.P.

holy cow 31 years? wow.

Dave...bro...just put a cot for me in the garage! Its only til April!!! I'll sweep up all the sawdust, do your dishes...pick up dog poo...

:)

plenty of flat spots at that place

as far as carving goes there are some decent runs but even if there has not been snow in awhile bring something for the trees, there are so many places there to duck into the trees that are not marked on any trail map, there have been days where I have found some freshies a good five days after a dump

IMHO the 'boat is pretty mellow and nothing there is all that mind blowing for carving but if you dig generously spaced trees on moderate pitches you're gonna be in heaven

Hook up with Dave, he always seems to know where the goods are.

Guest dragon fly jones

I was just there and had a the full tour. You can carve top to bottom there if you choose, snow or not. We went all over the place with a local rider and even with a deep pow day on a 183 tornado and bomber and Garmont AT boots I would not change a single thing. As a coach and former racer I was more than stoked and less than willing to give the place a chance due to bad experiences in the past - this place is what you need and want - the frame of mind is what counts - let me explain bad weather it had snowed like 10 days in a row and it was a weekend and I still got" freshies, hard carving, nice people, sick terrain, a couple of wide spaced tree runs, wicked dinner fun lunch and an experience that I will hold for a very very long time cause I was open to something new and decided to drop that grudge.

Go and have fun there, if you have a bad time check the tude at the door and then go back and see if you can't have fun.

cat tracks that are flat and after a dump washboard for a few das as well, keep in mind though that since I worked there I had to use those way too much to get from place to place with minimal lift rides and stuff like that, and I absolutley HATE the run out from the chutes, flat and ungroomed

I probably have overstated that part of the place but if you ride there literaly every day for a season it gets insanely annoying.