Note to New Members ×

Teleboard

GeoffV

Anyone ever try one? I demoed a board at Sunapee, NH a few weeks ago and had a blast on it. :D . It took me about a run to get use to the turning and carving, the style of riding is more EC. You can't pressure the nose as much and need to keep your weight in the middle and sit down really low on the turns. Once I figured it out I had a lot of fun, the board had a 8m side cut so it was really turny. The only thing I wasn't that fond of was the lack of stability because of the tele bindings and your heels not being locked in, plus it wasn't good on ice. If I wasn't an alpine rider I would bought a board. :biggthump. The transition from edge to edge is so fast and once I figured out how to pop it was really fun.

I've seen a guy at Sugarloaf rail some really nice carves on one. Of course, nothing better than what we can do, but very nice. He didn't seem to be able to hold an edge as well as we can though - unless conditions were buff, he wasn't carving. He was a real trip to watch because at first glance he looked like another one of us, but he was using ski poles.

I'm all for more toys on the slopes, and anything that encourages carving, but I've never tried one because I don't think they could possibly be any better than an alpine board and "proper" boots/bindings.

I own one, and love it. It is a go anywhere, do anything all mountain tool. It slices, It dices, And it truly Works...

I love it in the bumps, and disagree with the conditions comments, You just have to know how to ride it, and remember to pressure the tail out of the turns...

I demoed one at Killington a few years ago. Once I figured out that you need to keep the rear kneecap touching the back of the front knee you have a stable platform and it can really carve.

They were selling the demo boards and boots for $300. It was tempting but I have too many toys now (is that possible?).

That's interesting. In the films that I've seen it looked like the teleboard would only do skidded turns, which is why I wrote it off. Do telemark skiers carve turns?

YUP! We can carve. Not up to par with a board and good carving skiis, But if you have a good set-up it works great.

I run Rossi GS boards from a couple of years ago with Linken bindings and Scarpa T1's (it's a pretty stiff set-up). If you are aggressive you can go fast and carve.