Note to New Members ×

Donek Incline, or save up for hard boots?

zoltan

Currently I ride soft boots. My set up it: K2 Recon Riser 157, Malamutes, Ride Flights, and my angles are set at 39,30. I weigh 150 pounds. I've started carving with the board more and more, and I've really started to jones after a longer, stiffer board, with more effective edge and a narrower waist for days with nice conditions. I've been really looking at the Donek Incline in a 160, but now I'm thinking that I should just save up that money and buy hardboots, plates, and a board instead. Thoughts?

Guest Zach Davis

The Donek Incline's are actually great boards for making the transition from soft boots to hard boots... They have a moderatley skinny waist and a slightly more forgiving flex pattern than a true carving board.

I'd say get the Donek, then get plates and hard boots.

Zach

I've been riding the Incline 160 for a couple of years now with about 60% of the time on hardboots (malamutes/Ctk freeerides, 224's/Ctk OS1, 145lbs) and it's a great board with both. You also might want to consider an Axis with the softies (unless you have relatively small feet the angles on the Axis might be difficult with the softies though) transitioning to hardboots, with Donek's Demo program you can try both! The biggest difference on the Incline between the HB's and SB's is that my ankles get tired sooner with the SB's but I have more "flow" with them, I can last longer with the HB's and have more control on the chop/rough stuff.

The better a carver you are *before* you make the transition to hardboots, the easier and more fun it will be to switch to hardboots. Go for the 164 if you can.

And then when you do switch to hardboots, you'll still have a great softboot board to use when you want.

Also, there's some advice on getting into alpine snowboarding here in our Welcome Center.

I think the 160 will be plenty at 150 pounds. It would be a rocket in soft boots and stand up to being used in hard boots. It's sidecut (9.1m) is not too far off from what a SL board would offer, just a lot less edge length. The Inclines have more edge length in a given overall length than most similarly-shaped boards.

I once owned an Incline 160, it was a lot of fun in softies at about 185 pounds and was the board that gave me the itch to get into some hard gear. I now have both a Wide 161 and an old Incline 168 at 195 pounds. The Wide 161 supports me fine at 195#, and is essentially the same as the Incline 160 except for the width. That suggests to me that the 164 might be a bit much in softies at 150.

Well, maybe not the 164. Maybe the Prior ATV 161? That would put some more edge on the ground and still be shorter. However the Prior is pricier. 157 to 160 isn't a very significant increase, and you said you're jonsing for a longer board.

Edit: I've never ridden an Incline - Mike T probably has better advice here.

get plates and boots, mount them on the recon for a while - then get a Donek Axis for the next step.

At your weight, you would probably be OK on the Raichle Xbone plates. I use those on my K2 Recon (162, not riser) for days when woods and bumps are on the menu. I'm in the 155-160 weight range, but probably older than you (58). I ride an Axis 162 most of the time. If I were younger and more aggressive, I would probably want the 167 Axis.

When you move up to the Axis get Bomber plates, and keep the Xbones on the K2 for the woods.

157 to 160 isn't a very significant increase, and you said you're jonsing for a longer board.

Edit: I've never ridden an Incline - Mike T probably has better advice here.

Just looked at the sidecut and effective edge specs of the Recon Riser 157 vs. Incline 160.

RR157: Edge = 124.4cm, sidecut = 7.7m

In160: Edge = 127cm, sidecut = 9.1m

Looks like the RR has an edge/total ratio similar to the Incline - not many similarly-shaped boards do. Or at least not many did a few years ago when I paid more attention to that sector. But there is a huge difference in sidecut radii. The bigger sidecut radius on the Incline will lend itself to more speed. That may or may not be enough to satisfy your jones.

I would still be concerned about jumping to the Incline 164 due to the stiffness - if you were running plates you'd be fine but I still think it's going to be a lot of work in even Malamutes at 150 pounds. Unless you are strictly riding on the groomed. Those Inclines are pretty darn stiff.

But contact "raj" (http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/member.php?userid=1940), I recall seeing him on an Incline 164 and he might be about your weight.