Note to New Members ×

mounting intecs to indys

Guest letsgo

I just mounted new INTEC heels onto my Raichle 413's and discovered that there is a gap in between the heels and the body of the boots. I have tightened the m5x20mm screws as much as I dare for fear of stripping the threads in the boots.

Should I go ahead and tighten the heels down until the gap disappears? With so much money invested in boots, Intec upgrades to TD2's, and Intec heels I want to make sure I don't screw this up.

Thanks ahead of time,

Mark

mark...it soundsl ike youre doing exactly what is stated not to do

if youre using T-nuts you wont be stripping anything and the heels should fit snugly. if youre just screwing into plastic...well...its "probably" fine but I sure as hell wouldnt trust it, especially with a gap!

How old are your 413s? The tee nuts that are in there may have sunk deeper into the plastic on the boot. The 413 is a very soft boot. If that is the case then you need to knock out the old ones and put the ones that came with the INTEC heels into the boot. I use one of the m5 bolts that came with the heel and thread it into the tee nut a little without the heel in place. Then gently bang on the head of the bolt with a hammer. This will push out the old tee nut and you can then "seat" a new one in there. Do this for both heels and there shouldn't be any more gap.

->Ben

D: This is from the instructions that came with my Intec heels:

"[step] 4. Put the screws from the Intec box (not the ones you took out of the boot) back into the boot to hold the heel pad in place."

From this I concluded that I was to use the m5x20mm screws that came from the box, not the stainless screws I pulled out of the boots. If I'm wrong it would appear that the instructions from BOL are incorrect.

Ben: The 413's are new from BOL (I've had them on snow about 6 hours). I had to lightly drill out the hole in the sole to get the cable to pass through the boot. The tee nuts that are in the 413's are recessed into the plastic posts that are part of the boot molding. I'm reluctant to take these out per your instructions because there appears to be nothing wrong with them; and the supplied tee nuts' teeth appear to be too big to bite into the plastic posts.

Thanks again,

Mark

If the boots are new then there is no need to remove those tee nuts.

Oh yea. Use the screws that came with the INTEC heels. Not the ones you took out of the boot for the standard heels. They are a shoulder bolt and will not let you get the proper torque. You need to use the fully threaded ones. If you want, you can replace the phillips head ones with 4mm hex head ones. Much nicer!

Part #92290A242 at www.mcmaster.com

->Ben

Sometimes the screws that come with the Intec heels have enough loctite on them to make it hard to get them tightened all the way. That will yield some play. I personally always use 4mm hex bolts like the ones Ben linked to, and have no problem getting them tight enough, and have never needed to add any Loctite.