Note to New Members ×

Anyone Else teach (AASI)

Raisputin

Just wondering if anyone else teaches and is an AASI member? So far I have been instructing at my local mountain for 3 years and they want all of us snowboarders to join AASI and get all of our certifications. Not such a bad thing I guess, however it seems to me that AASI is <B>REALLY</B> freestyle oriented, almost to the exclusion of hardbooters (Maybe it is just my mountain?)

Perhaps I haven't been around teaching long enough to know squat, so I thought I would ask other people's opinions.

Merry Christmas

I teach at a highschool weekend program. Not AASI.

I applied at Park City and it seems I can't work at PCMR in hardboots as an instructor. I showed up to a hiring clinic the other day and was told it was a no-no from the man in charge. My feet haven't met a soft boot they like yet, so I had to walk. Kinda bummed, I'd been looking foward to the clinic since Sept. :rolleyes: I even showed up on a freeride board wearing my baggies to try and blend in. I have a friend that has worked there for a number of years, and it sounded like a cool gig. I'm not sure if the hardboot exclusion is AASI freestyle oriented, or a PCM thing. I seem to be teaching kids fine in hardboots at my other job. :biggthump

I should email Martin and see what his take is on it.

I dropped out of the program when they started changing the standards to include park and pipe and rails - stuff like that - as part of their ride teach at an expert level any terrain, any conditions.

I was an examiner, division clinician leader, two time representative to national congress and snowboard chair of our division for a while. I am just not interested in any of that. I continue to get lots of request private carve lessons and my riding on the mountain is the best sales tool I have.

This last year in my evaluation they started getting in my ass to ride soft etc. My first two lessons this year have been request private hard boot carve lessons so they can shove their soft boots up their half pipe as far as I am concerned. Sorry you couldn't do their clinic. What a load.

Merry Happy Holydays and smoke your Happy Hanukah.

instruct, member of AASI (gotta go for my next level ASAP), mixed feelings.

AASI is just a resource to help improve and refine snowboard instruction (and make foundational techniques universal). that is the honest reality of it. and i do believe that it can be an outstanding resource, as long as all the info offered by it is taken with a grain of salt. afterall, this is snowboarding and there are many ways to turn a board.

the somewhat recent shift towards teaching freestyle reflects what many paying customers want, as well as what quite a few of the members of AASI are focusing their attention on learning. this is valuable in that it presents many challenges to instructors. teaching freestyle is rather involved and learning to "teach" it requires a great deal of skill refinement as an instructor. hence it is currently the most appealing way to encourage the members to improve their technical knowledge.

i consider myself to be fairly ok with movement analysis, but during early season training sessions someone caught me not paying attention as we drilled 180's into our brains. i did not pay attention to his board angle as he left the snow, hence missing a gigantic piece of information in analyzing why his jump was sketchy. what is the actual effect of a few degrees difference in board angle when leaving the lip of a jump and spinning? shouldn't i have been paying attention to that detail within his riding? will this lesson help me to become a more effective instructor??? perhaps.

there are skills that are strengthened in working on freestyle stuff that can help to improve overall riding skills. hence a student who is motivated to learn park stuff can be encouraged to become a stronger rider overall by addressing various related skills.

i am saddened to hear that there are areas that are exclusionary (hmmm, may not be a real word). my area almost did that to me and i've had to prove my ability to teach on plates. granted i also ride softies as per their request, but i see it as forcing me to become a more complete rider/instructor, and honestly, it can be fun. i'll be working the first two months this season almost exclusively on plates. i've paid my dues and it has proven itself to be worth it.

AASI?? well, i've been fortunate thus far. maybe after i go to a few more things this season my impression will change. but thus far it has been a positive experience for me. and as i said earlier it has been a good resource. also, talk to phil about AASI. i need to pry some info out of his brain this season as well.

my biggest local beef is with the ski race coaches who have no respect whatsoever for snowboarding. "oh, i've set snowboard gates before, 3 years ago, once, i can do it again." well, no crap, you drill a hole and you set it in there. wow, ooh, you are soooo complete as a race coach even though you are gonna set them up exactly the same as you set a ski GS course. sorry, these guys really get me. even their fellow skiers think they can be close minded jerks. and on that happy note i leave you all.

I have wanted to respond to this thread, but was away for the holidays with limited internet access. I love instructing (or being a whore as some would say:biggthump ) and AASI has been a very positive part of that. I took my L II and L III exams on an F2 SL w/ TD 1's and UPS Mach RSV boots. When I passed my L III, they gave out all of the awards (L II and L III) but did not call my name. I thought "I knew it was too good to be true.":( Then at the end of the presentation, Brian Spear said that he had a special L III to give out. He continued to say that it is not often that a hardbooter comes this far, and even less often that they are on a full blown race setup. He added "but it is extra sweet when they do.":biggthump

I have been well received at every event and every exam that I have been to. Most of the clinicians and participants are usually stoked that I am there on a race setup. They usually like the different challenge of movement analysis.

All that being said, it is harder on a race setup. Softies and a freeride board would have been much easier. There is a lot of switch riding at these events. At higher levels, you may be asked to do switch bumps, airs, and rails. This can all be done on any setup, but hardboots take a little more work.

Not such a bad thing I guess, however it seems to me that AASI is REALLY freestyle oriented, almost to the exclusion of hardbooters (Maybe it is just my mountain?)

They are very freestyle oriented. They are following an industry and so should we. If people are showing up wanting freestyle lessons, then we should be prepared to give them. For better or worse, freestyle is where it is at right now. Does that mean that hardbooters are left out? I don't think so, it just means that we, like everyone else, have to instruct within our abilities. If your abilities do not address a certain population that you would like to market to, it is time to increase your abilities.

AASI is just a resource to help improve and refine snowboard instruction (and make foundational techniques universal). that is the honest reality of it. and i do believe that it can be an outstanding resource, as long as all the info offered by it is taken with a grain of salt. afterall, this is snowboarding and there are many ways to turn a board.

Agreed. However high level instructors (and examiners/clinicians) are aware of most of the ways to turn a board. AASI has a broad base of L I's, so the majority of their info caters to that broad base. There are less L II's and even less L III's, so there are less resources (written) to aid higher levels. It is assumed that once you get to this level, you will have learned through a lot of other avenues. What is expected of you at a L II or L III exam is far beyond what is in print in the manual.

the somewhat recent shift towards teaching freestyle reflects what many paying customers want, as well as what quite a few of the members of AASI are focusing their attention on learning. this is valuable in that it presents many challenges to instructors. teaching freestyle is rather involved and learning to "teach" it requires a great deal of skill refinement as an instructor. hence it is currently the most appealing way to encourage the members to improve their technical knowledge.

there are skills that are strengthened in working on freestyle stuff that can help to improve overall riding skills. hence a student who is motivated to learn park stuff can be encouraged to become a stronger rider overall by addressing various related skills.

Good stuff.

talk to phil about AASI. i need to pry some info out of his brain this season as well.

Anytime. I am waiting.:biggthump

my biggest local beef is with the ski race coaches who have no respect whatsoever for snowboarding. "oh, i've set snowboard gates before, 3 years ago, once, i can do it again." well, no crap, you drill a hole and you set it in there. wow, ooh, you are soooo complete as a race coach even though you are gonna set them up exactly the same as you set a ski GS course. sorry, these guys really get me. even their fellow skiers think they can be close minded jerks. and on that happy note i leave you all.

Attitude is everywhere. I find that if you get a bunch of instructors, coaches, and pros together, there is a lot of friction. Whenever you get people together that find their identity in the same medium they are threatened by others who excel in the same medium.

Hopefully we can all learn that snowboarding is not a medium through which to find our identities. Then we can go out and have a good time together without feeling threatened.:)

I'm not a member of AASI. I'm kinda stuck dealing with it. I'm CASI(canadian)certified but work in the U.S.(AASI land). I agree they are more freestyle oriented. i'm finding out it depends heavily on what region you're in. the rocky mountain one seems to be more about technical riding skills and the NE seems more FS. but they are not about hardboots, nor can i teach in hardboots-i've asked, was told it's not offered at Breck.

I don't think the FS elements of the level cert exams are too out of line-after all a well-rounded instructor is a good thing, but they do tend to get out of hand with it-you can forget about their national team(which i serisoulsy don't understand) if you can't "spin to win". Friends who took cert exams in VT last year only taught FS and all passed.

if you want hardboots check CASI(level 4 requires hardbooting). I guess it's just part of being an instructor-i spent today-a powder day-teaching boardslides and spins in the park. I have to save the hardbooting for my rare days off or free runs.

We've got an AASI Clinician (and I think examiner) coming up in a couple weeks to do some clinics with us so I think I will make it a point to ask him about non-freestyle disciplines as they relate to AASI, as I am really interested in the why;s and fors and whatnot's :)

Maybe I will go out in my hardboots that day :eplus2::eek::eplus2:

For the record, I have nothing against freestyle, and I teach on a freestyle board like everyone else at my mountain (I'm not much of a jibber I must admit), I just have a small beef with the AASI because it seems that there is an attitude of "If It Aint Freestyle, It aint worth doin'" that is prevalent in what I have seen at my mountain and from previous clinicians that have visited, and I think that ALL aspects should be equally promoted. There is money in freestyle which leads me to believe that is why it is so heavily promoted to the detriment of plates/alpine boards

I know freestyle is for chimps, apes, and gorillas, but I'm sure that if we all take a moment to lower our noses a few degrees, we'll see that freestyle is a very strong and very important part of snowboarding. Saying otherwise is, well, idiotic. Clearly, since we ride hardboots, we are the smartest people on the hill, so it only makes sense that we would understand the importance of freestyle. Right?

Now, I do agree that not allowing you to teach anything at all on hardboots is a less than intelligent decision. On the other hand, I do see why AASI cares so much about freestyle.

The problem that I see is the level system. AASI level 1 means that you can survive a LTR as a student (but not necessarily teach one), and Level 2 means that you are great at carving, great in the trees, and competent in the park. Level 3 means you invented snowboarding.

If AASI wanted some rankings that actually meant something, they would have opted for more than 3 levels. Even 4 would make a world of difference.

I just have a small beef with the AASI because it seems that there is an attitude of "If It Aint Freestyle, It aint worth doin'" that is prevalent in what I have seen at my mountain and from previous clinicians that have visited, and I think that ALL aspects should be equally promoted.

When I took my L III, we had to run gates and teach them.:eek: This flies in the face of what a lot of people think of AASI. Like I said, I have always been encouraged when I show up on plates.

I am very disappointed that there are mountains that do not allow you to teach on plates. What are they thinking:confused: I would like to go on a tirade, but I will just let it at that.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Juris is a friend and also a superior where I work. We were talking about a lot of hardboot stuff last week and apparently in the ProBoarder Magazine (or something like that) it had a nice article with Klug. Pretty good read and I think everyone here would enjoy it. I will try to make a PDF of the article tomorrow night and put it up for everyone.

So we got to talking today and though I have passed my AASI Level 1 cert both riding and written 2x now I have not had the $$ to pay for my membership, etc. Juris thinks I should try to get my Level 2 this year and that I will easily pass the riding portion :) The benefits to me are not that great though, only a raise at work (though I guess it is substantial at $4/hr). What do you all think? Should I go for it, or pass on it? It is not going to change my teaching style, nor my skill at teaching in any way, but it WILL cost me like $250 or so total I think

If you are intending to stick with teaching for a while, I would highly encourage it. Re-read some of these posts- others believe in the benefits of education. You would be abazed how much more you can learn.

I am level 3 psia, teaching for 20 years,but have no certification for snowboarding. But the psia clinics I still attend can teach so much if you think about how to carry it through to your discipline of choice.

My best client now I got because I was the first person he found who could teach him on a full hard-boot set-up. (I used to work a lot with the Boone Lennon QuickCarve. )

Lots of people taking lessons now are encouraged by magazine articles, friends, etc. to ask for someone who is "certified". Between that, the pay, and definitely being able to learn more about your own teaching and riding, I would say it is worth it.

The benefits to me are not that great though, only a raise at work (though I guess it is substantial at $4/hr). What do you all think? Should I go for it, or pass on it? It is not going to change my teaching style, nor my skill at teaching in any way, but it WILL cost me like $250 or so total I think

$4 an hour increase for level 2. That is an awesome pay increase. 60 hours of teaching and your covered. If you are only doing the education for the money that is ok. I have found the folks who get the most out of it are going in with the idea to take the exam to learn as much as possible. Depending on how the exam is structured you will get to see/hear several other people teach a lot of different scenarios, using different tools, tactics and approach. This is where some of the real benefit of the exam is. Besides your examiner feedback on your riding, teaching etc.

As a former examiner, clinician etc.. I think if you do it for the process of learning with no other expected (different than hoping for) outcome you will have a great time, maybe pass and get your $$$. There is also the the fact that chicks dig a certified instructor. Shows your not just a dirtbag snowboarder any more. :eplus2: Plus if you promote your business with business cards etc you can put it on your card. Shows your parents your serious.

I am very new to teaching and just completed my level I snowboard certification through ASIA this past weekend. The Amateur Ski Instructors Association has a strong commitment to snowboarding. Of the 60 or so first time instructors at West Point this weekend, approximately half were on snowboards. After the first day I asked my instructor if he objected to me switching to a hardboot board and he said "Go for it!". I hauled out my 168 Volkl RT GS board and continued with the lessons. Riding switch and doing flat 360 spins was a challenge (and definitely not pretty) but I was able to do it after a fashion. The second weekend I reverted to soft boots because conditions were so bad I didn't want to tear up my Volkl. On Sunday we were doing pop 180s and I have enough trouble doing those on a softboot setup without subjecting my arthritic knee to spinning on a hardboot setup.

None of the organizers had any bias against hard boots and found no reason not to ride plates when teaching never-evers. In fact, a few of them said they will try riding in hardboots.

The instruction was top-notch and I came away with a lot of new riding skills. The only downside is geographic. ASIA programs are offered in NY, VT, PA, and Misawa, AFB in Japan. The snowboard portion of the program is only offered at West Point. If you live near there and want an introduction to teaching, give it a try.

I'm not gonna say yoiu can't teach never evers in plates, But I will say that you will be required to explain things verbally better to the visual learners. Visual Learners learn by seeing, and you are asking them to make something look different than what you are showing them.

personally, I won't teach a lesson in other gear than the sudent is using...

but I do.

Been teaching for 12 years in hard boots. Exclusively hard boots for 6.

Loaned my Burton stepins to someone and they never brought them back.

I ride in walk mode with beginners, barely buckle the cuff and I can show all the movement in the ankle that a soft booter can.

On my Canyon I am riding at 30 and 15 and even though it is not duck I can ride totally open to my toes.

Just another view.

I was super happy to hear what Phil said in his post. I have been in AASI for about 10 years(formerly PSIA). I would have to agree that it is very region dependant, which is unfortunate since it is supposed to be a standardizing otganization. The things you will learn are defintiely helpful, but be prepared for politics as you move up the ladder, at least here in the midwest region.

2 years ago I took the level 3 and passed the first day, even having the halfpipe as my lesson plan. The next day I damn near failed all of my riding skills becasue the examiner didn't like the fact that I was riding 32-29 on my soft rig setup. He said that I couldn't do any of the skills switch, even though I smoked him switch in the bumps and spun 360 frontside and backside switch off the big air jump. It turned out to be a bit of a personality conflict at that point since I was determined to show him up, and I admit that was a major mistake on my part. I actually switched to my gs board for the latter half of the day just to show him that it can be ridden everywhere, even the pipe, if you know how. It does seemthat since then they have gotten even more freestyle oriented whcih is in no way a bad thing. However, some of my friends recently took a level 2 and were told that they should all be riding duck stance now to make their switch riding easier. I would guess that htis is not happening out west.

In the end, do it for the experience and the peices of knowledge you will gain from the clinics, but tread lightly and don't expect them to be real keen on new ideas or styles. Kudos to Phil and his examiners for being openminded about the process.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest motopilot

I am a Level III up in Stratton VT. Been in since the very begining back when it was PSIA. Was on Dev. Team as well for a year. It's not the same as it used to be but I am glad I did it.

• 5 years later...

not sure it's a good idea to bring this thread back to existence again, but anyway... time for my opinion...

My teaching career began in the Eastern Division and was an amazing experience back then... been away from the east now for 10 years, so I'm not sure what it's like there now.

Last year I needed to do an update so I did a Level II prep clinic and I will say it was the WORST EXPERIENCE of my life! By lunch of the second day I was done and in the lodge with tears in my eyes.... at that point I vowed next time I have to do credits to maintain my certification it will be on skis only. DONE with AASI.... at least as long as I am in this division. Luckily my ski school director doesn't seem to mind me teaching in hard boots (guess no one ever said anything about it) and I do teach on an all-mountain board with lower angles.

I guess I just find it funny in a way how AASI has evolved... I mean, they first broke off from PSIA because PSIA was keeping snowboarding too structured... wanted a certain type of rider riding a certain way.... and now they do the same thing!

I can't say one thing in particular made that whole thing so bad, and maybe there were some outside factors influencing my feelings that day, but long story short, I'm done with AASI.

I know there are people like Phil who can do everything and make it look easy... someone in an earlier post here mentioned Brian Spear.... he was one of those people too! I am not one.... nothing comes easy for me. I'm not saying by today's standards, I should even have my Level II cert... if I had to take the test again, I couldn't pass it. But I'm just so upset about the close minds that AASI has formed which in my opinion, was the whole reason AASI started in the first place!

Kingpa,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I had a similar one a few years ago. I finished the event, didn't get what I wanted out of it, and filled out the survey at the end and was completely honest and mentioned to the clinician that I wasn't happy and the reasons why. He said he appreciated the feedback and just wished I had taken a chair ride with him earlier.

I can't speak for the other Divisions but I feel AASI-E is very open minded.

I have had amazing experiences with them and some that made me want to break my board in half. But I will say I never got bad advice or disagreed with their comments on my riding or teaching.

As an aside, I finally passed my Level III riding last season(on soft boots, I am now only on my hardboots a few times a season...by choice and not outside opinions/forces). I couldn't have, nor would want to, passed it on Hardboots. We pretty much rode rutted trees and (switch) bumps for 2/3's of the exam. The other part was spent on steeps and in the park.

Also, they held a Level 1 event at my mountain 2 seasons ago and one of the candidates was in hardboots. His feedback was totally applicable to hardboots and wasn't told to ditch the gear.

Some of the best advice I've gotten for hardbooting has come from an AASI examiner who had never even ridden hardboots. He just watched me ride and understood the sport well enough to adapt his knowledge of softboot riding to hardbooting.