Note to New Members ×

June conditions report

carve4life

just got back from june mountain today. snow conditions were great despite a small base and high temps. it was a little soft on monday due to 2-3 feet of new snow and i managed to crash and burn and give my self whiplash. thanks to a helmet it wasn't much worse. but tuesday and wensday the cats got on it and it was perfect for carving.

The conditions were good the past three days, a little soft on Monday but good once you got it dialed in it was decent. I spoke to the manager and requested they groom some of the runs Monday eve. Tue the snow had packed down and allowed better carving. Wed we had hero snow and excellent groomed runs, the wind started to pick up, the lifties shut down J4 around noon but it was a great trip.

The conditions were good the past three days, a little soft on Monday but good once you got it dialed in it was decent. I spoke to the manager and requested they groom some of the runs Monday eve. Tue the snow had packed down and allowed better carving. Wed we had hero snow and excellant groomed runs, the wind started to pick up, the lifties shut down J4 around noon but it was a great trip.

What were the conditions on stuff off of J7 - is it even open yet? Looking forward to another trip to that place this spring :biggthump

Gary

No jumps, jibs, table tops just some good cord. Monday the grooming was bad but the conditions were marginal, I spoke to Carl the manager and he got the place looking good Tue and Wed.

Terry, Frank, we have to see if we can keep this run open and the park moved...infact anyone who carves should speak to Carl and tell them "just say no park."

:nono:

Guest James Pryor

Will be at June right after the New Year for a week. Yes we all love the grooming and no one around that makes June such a carvers paradise!! Went to Steamboat a couple weeks ago and it was a powder fest. Got one great carving day with Dave Winters who showed me around this incredible mountain. My F2 arrived last night UPS and can't wait to try it out at June. See you there. James Pryor

Guest James Pryor

Hi Brian, sounds like you are getting some vertical racked up! Yeah I got the 177RS. Been wanting this board for a long time. Mid length for the rock and roll shred mood. Kerry Wise will be there also. Will you be in Aspen? Hope to see you on the hill! jp

Gary

No jumps, jibs, table tops just some good cord. Monday the grooming was bad but the conditions were marginal, I spoke to Carl the manager and he got the place looking good Tue and Wed.

Terry, Frank, we have to see if we can keep this run open and the park moved...infact anyone who carves should speak to Carl and tell them "just say no park."

:nono:

I guess they need A LOT of snow to build those jumps. I'll take your suggestion and try to contact Carl about leaving Gunsmoke open. Maybe as they hear from enough of us they will leave it alone :confused:

James, I will also be up the week after New Years (Tues thru Thurs). Hopfully see ya there.

Dave the two jumps they build on Gunsmoke are BIG. Most certainly, not built for your average park/jump guy. I think because of this the jumps are not ridden that much, at least to their potential. On the other hand, with no jumps, you can almost always find a few carvers and many family senerios on Gunsmoke. The runs highest and best use is 100% groomed. It certainly wouldn't hurt to let our voices be heard on this---reasonalble or not. :)

By they way are you staying or leaving Socal.

they just build two jumps? Ive only been to june once, in the spring of 96 I think...and I remember HUGE jumps there, on a main run...wasnt on a carver, but didnt want to hit the jumps cuz they were just too big for me!

I guess I was assuming you guys meant they shouldnt have a park, which would be ridiculous probably

as for staying or going...heh...not sure yet :)

Gunsmoke is the perfect carving run not favoring goofy or regular its the kind of run you can get your rythm on. They started building jumps a couple

of years ago for Danny Kass to show his stuff. But he's the only person that can do anything on them . They're Huge most people avoid them so the run

is unridden such a waste. We've signed forms to keep it jump free but no luck.

Brian I plan to go up after the first also I'll let you know when I do.

Frank

I realise that Mammoth is ridiculous on the weekends, but do you guys prefer June over Mammoth during the week as well?

Back in the day when I did a few season trips to Mammoth we always went to June and I just always found it to be kind of not that interesting but really well groomed; the size is not an issue if there are good runs, (like say Mt Rose which is awesome), but compared to Mammoth I always wondered when they would figure out how to groom Mammoth as well as June, because runs like Cornice Bowl (when groomed which is not often) and so on are just way better than what I saw on June....

Or is this the weekend retreat?

I realise that Mammoth is ridiculous on the weekends, but do you guys prefer June over Mammoth during the week as well?

Back in the day when I did a few season trips to Mammoth we always went to June and I just always found it to be kind of not that interesting but really well groomed; the size is not an issue if there are good runs, (like say Mt Rose which is awesome), but compared to Mammoth I always wondered when they would figure out how to groom Mammoth as well as June, because runs like Cornice Bowl (when groomed which is not often) and so on are just way better than what I saw on June....

Or is this the weekend retreat?

june is kinda of a niche mountain, you either love it or not. I can speak for myself and Brian in saying we prefer june all the time. but others like the shear size of mammoth when it is not crowded. my problem with mamoth is that their runs all run into "funnel runs" at the bottom, which are one: always crowded for carving standards and two: cut up all to hell no matter how good the grooming. The other problem with mammoth IMO, is that they just have too much area to do a good groom. unlike june which is small in comparison so the guys can really get in there and make a white carpet.

btw, you run cornice on an alpine board? damn i'd like to see a video of that.