Note to New Members ×

Tail Shape Questions

ike

I recently bought a used Oxygen Proton. I don't know what to call the shape of the tail. From surfing, i am familiar with "fish tails" and i noticed on deep powder boards, they have fish tails, but this is more of a circlular cut-out.

what is the name of this, and what is it for?

any answers?

-ike

post-2151-141842209944_thumb.jpg

post-2151-141842209946_thumb.jpg

I noticed absolutely no difference in riding response from any of my flat tail race decks to riding the Oxygen Proton. I honestly think it's more of a styling/aesthetics thing.

A split-tail (Burner) - now THAT is an entirely different ball game! LOVE THOSE! :biggthump

• 8 months later...

i havnt compared the sharkbite to a flat bottom, but i can tell you the idea behind the design is to allow more torsional flex. it seems to make sense to me, especially if you have a stiff, solid aluminum tailprotector. I can even see a cracking issue if you didnt have the cutout, although im sure the amount of riding needed to cause this issue would result in completely destroying your edges p-tex and topsheet before you got around to cracking the tail.

Ike,

If you are interested in another one of those , let me know. I picked one up last season, thinking my wife would get into it and its too small for me.

Hah, I don't think that'll be too likely. I'll probably be riding this board for the rest of my life unless it breaks or something.